Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 10, 2014
Since most of the discussions on Covid-19 impacts have revolved around Busch Gardens, I thought I'd open a separate discussion into impacts at WCUSA. One interesting call out that I noticed in the last week was a change in CDC guidance for water parks.

From: CDC Page "Visiting Parks and Recreational Facilities"
Last updated 4/10/20
Don’t
: Use hot tubs, spas, water playgrounds, or water parks
While proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (with chlorine or bromine) should kill COVID-19 in hot tubs, spas, water playgrounds, and water parks, you should not use these facilities within local, state, or national parks at this time because:

• They are often crowded and could easily exceed recommended guidance for gatherings.
  • It can be challenging to keep surfaces clean and disinfected.
  • The virus can spread when people touch surfaces and then touch their unwashed hands to their eyes, nose, or mouth.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
My question (and I think @WDWRLD’s too?) is how you keep it with you before and after slides. Do you leave it at the bottom at the flip flop caddies? How do you make sure you’re getting your mask back? Do you take it on ride with you so it gets soaked?

Dombot

:)
Mar 30, 2020
Atlanta
Ohhhhhhh, I see. I'd assume the park would place cubbies in the front of the line and use some form of a virtual queue system so people aren't uncomfortably close in line.

EDIT: yeah that too

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I think there are two big problems:

1. If you leave your mask in the cubby with your flip flops, you won’t have it while standing in line and it may get wet.
2. You won’t be wearing it in the pools, where you may least likely to be socially distanced.

Reactions: Zachary
Nov 24, 2009
I think waterparks need to be careful with masks around water espically with the low age most places are requiring them.

Jun 6, 2013
It didn't sound like they were required in lines or on paths to me. They listed the specific areas they were needed.

May 9, 2019
It didn't sound like they were required in lines or on paths to me. They listed the specific areas they were needed.

In my opinion, neck gaiters will serve more practically for guests, because of the ability to continue wearing them around your neck while in line and on-ride (assuming waterparks allow that) and having them dry rather quickly instead of absorbing liquid like other mask materials might. This is the avenue I plan to take when visiting waterparks or amusement parks, in general. Worst case is I will remove the gaiter completely and put it in my pocket if need be, but I would prefer to put it around my neck while riding.

Reactions: Zachary
Jun 6, 2013
Leaving masks unattended isn't a smart idea. Putting them is shoe areas also gross. I think at water parks it's really gonna be about staying as far away from people as you can. I know wouldn't put something on my face after it's been where shoes are constantly being placed.

Reactions: DJTLG
Mar 16, 2016
Well I’ll take the stand and say what I feel should be said:

It’s tougher to maintain sanitation, mask, and social distancing in water parks, so maybe they should consider extreme restrictions, not opening certain attractions, or remaining closed.

Reactions: Mamunia and Ziva
Jun 6, 2013
If someone's level of risk tolerance makes going to a water park where mask usage and distancing are not as easy to guarantee then its better for them to just avoid the situation. I don't think water parks or pools will ever be able to maintain CDC guidelines 100% of the time. We all need to understand our level of risk tolerance and then decide what we can and can't comfortably do. My mom doesn't feel safe doing anything till there is at least a treatment, which is fine, it just isn't what I'm going to do.

Nov 24, 2009
I have no words for the thought process of wearing a mask at a waterpark. I can see it now when people show old photos 50 years from now of this stupidity.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad