Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Offering bonuses is a nice way to dodge the real problem that's preventing people from working at an amusement park, the pay rates. Bonuses are temporary, yes they're nice, but they're not gonna motivate anyone new to come and work for them. If you instead changed that $1000 bonus into an hourly pay bonus to increase weekly pay by $250, like someone who's already making $15/hr getting an extra $6/hr it'd motivate a lot more people to apply. The hourly pay rate is the bigger eye catcher than all the bonuses and additional perks.

Just offer an actual decent pay and maybe benefits if someone sticks around long enough, parks and employers in general need to stop ignoring that elephant in the room. There is no returning to $10/hr pay like they used to have, it's not gonna work.

Reactions: Ziva and Mamunia
While I don't necessarily disagree @b.mac with much of what you are saying, but the recent studies are showing that it's more than just pay and benefits that are preventing continued employment or new employment. There's only so much money you can throw at the issue.

While I don't necessarily disagree @b.mac with much of what you are saying, but the recent studies are showing that it's more than just pay and benefits that are preventing continued employment or new employment. There's only so much money you can throw at the issue.

The culture about how employees are replaceable and how there's an unlimited pool of employees to draw from also needs to stop. Amusement Parks have an incredibly high turnover rate even at the major parks like Universal and Disney, they all need to address that. While yes, money won't be the fix-all problem, it certainly would motivate some more people to work for these parks.

Reactions: Ziva
The culture about how employees are replaceable and how there's an unlimited pool of employees to draw from also needs to stop. Amusement Parks have an incredibly high turnover rate even at the major parks like Universal and Disney, they all need to address that. While yes, money won't be the fix-all problem, it certainly would motivate some more people to work for these parks.
I think your first part, from a business standpoint, is much more why they are struggling to hire. They don't value employees from a quality of employment standpoint. They don't give the right added benefits to the job. The employees are looked at as numbers rather than people.

The problem of working in the current pandemic environment is something that many people don't want to do. I do like what they are doing though with bonuses for staying a certain period of time. Tells me part of the issue was people were coming for the bonus and then quickly not continuing to work.

EDIT:
I think what parks in general could do a better job of doing is having job fairs where they could lay out a career path for younger hires. Include work education benefits. Something like work for us for 2 years, sign a 4 year contract, get your AA or AS, we will pay a majority of it, and you will become a manager or supervisor during this time. Or go to get a BA or BS and you can go into this department, and we will pay part of it if you work here during breaks and for x years after. Parks can show their investment in their work force this way and the work force will be invested in working there.

Last edited:
I do like what they are doing though with bonuses for staying a certain period of time. Tells me part of the issue was people were coming for the bonus and then quickly not continuing to work.

I feel like if any employer didn't have a minimum timeframe of employment before giving out these bonuses they deserved to have their money taken from them.

You see it with Amazon though, who's currently suffering from the recent tanking of their reputation after complaints and reports about how they treat their warehouse employees. Like it's so bad that not only are they losing current employees, but any new employees they hire are leaving after only a few days on the job at best.

While I applaud this decision I got to ask why on transportation? You'll in line with the same folks without a mask for attractions.

The current logic is that transportation is riskier due to the tight enclosed space where outdoors and even indoors in larger spaces is generally safer.

Reactions: Zachary
While I applaud this decision I got to ask why on transportation? You'll in line with the same folks without a mask for attractions.
The transportation still falls under the FTA regulations which require mask. Till the feds remove the requirement Disney can't remove them.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Anyone who has ever been on Disney transit around park opening or closing knows that you're very often packed together to the point of your face being mere inches from someone else's. Maintaining masking requirements in enclosed, climate controlled places like that longer than, say, on moving indoor rides or while strolling around shops, seems pretty sensible to me.

Reactions: panopticon31
The transportation is still under Federal Guidelines. They dont have much choice......but anyone with common sense can tell there is no diffrence in being on a Disney bus than it is standing waiting to go into customize your car on Test Track. You think the packed bus system is bad now.....wait till they completely outsource it to Mears to go from Resorts to Parks. You think all these tour busses arent a test? Its also going to discourage scooter use by all but those that really need them.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad