Court Martial for SeaWorld Ticket Scalper

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Alf33

Life is short, so eat dessert first.
Jun 8, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
The Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) that the judge gave him just made it a lot harder for him to get a civilian job as a lot of employers won't hire him with a BCD. It wouldn't have been so bad for him if it was a General discharge or even Other Than Honorable. But an OTH is only one step above BCD.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
That sentence seems a little hard a first but I wonder how their use of other eople information and possibly how it was obtained played a role in that sentence.

Reactions: belsaas
Apr 9, 2013
Sometimes referred to as the "Big Chicken Dinner," a BCD is not something you want on your record.

Aug 23, 2017
That sentence seems a little hard a first but I wonder how their use of other eople information and possibly how it was obtained played a role in that sentence.
The issue isnt the legality. The issue is the use of his status in the Navy to secure items under the false pretenses of using them and then selling them. Also this was a petty officer which is a non college degree holding leadership position. The military doesnt cut leadership much slack when this stuff happens.

The funny thing is that he lost his job, which he had probably held for at least 5 years, for what couldnt have been more than a couple hundred dollars.

Reactions: Mushroom

Alf33

Jun 8, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Also this was a petty officer which is a non college degree holding leadership position. The military doesnt cut leadership much slack when this stuff happens.

The funny thing is that he lost his job, which he had probably held for at least 5 years, for what couldnt have been more than a couple hundred dollars.
The statement "A Petty Officer which is a non college degree" is wrong. There are a lot of PO's who have college degrees.

Feb 3, 2019
The statement "A Petty Officer which is a non college degree" is wrong. There are a lot of PO's who have college degrees.
I think he meant petty officer is a noncom rank; as opposed to someone who went to officer school.

I'm not military; but my understanding is that officer school is the equivalent of "a degree" in leadership.

Like in corporates; some people get MBAs and jump right into leadership/management where other people get degrees in specific fields but can still work their way up to leadership/management.(Such as a petty officer)

At any rate; regardless of pedigree. An officer is an officer and all held to the same high standards whether they went to officer school or were promoted up.

And so, the severity of the punishment has everything to do with the fact that, as an officer, this individual was supposed to be a role model for his subordinates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf33

GrandpaD

Curve Flattener.
Aug 3, 2017
Newport News, VA
As former Navy, an E-4 is hardly considered an "officer" by any stretch other than the name Petty Officer. Anyone with some smarts and training can achieve an E-4 rank within his/her first 4 year enlistment. Navy regs allow you to test for E4 six months after you've been an E3. Many leave boot camp as an E3 if you test well enough.

There's always more to the story. It appears he was the ringleader. And we don't know if he'd been in trouble before. The Fireman Recruit (E-1) obviously had run-ins somewhere along the line as you leave boot camp E-2 or 3. So he'd had discipline before. The E-3 (Sebastien) must have been a good sailor as he only got a Captain's Mast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf33 and Nicole

Alf33

Jun 8, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
@GrandpaD, agreed on your ringleader assessment as it sure sounds like he thought of the idea and then implemented it and recruited the others to get more tickets to resell.

Aug 23, 2017
Nope, the position is in fact a non degree holding position, while there are certainly a good number of folks with degrees in sucha position, having a degree does not serve as a qualification for the job.

Reactions: BGWnut

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
Happening to HAVE a degree is not the same thing as requiring a degree. In my time working as an IT contractor I have come across many of the Navy's brightest enlisted. (mostly the ETs) Many of them were working on their degree or in some cases CAME to the Navy with a degree. While this may have made them better Blue Shirts and perhaps help to short track them to Chief it certainly was not needed for their jobs.

(As I worked mostly with ETs and ITs, Chiefs, and Officers I rarely came across anyone under E4, it is just the way in Comm shops and ADP)

Login or Register to Hide This Ad