Coronavirus Crisis

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Dombot

woo yeah woohoo yeah yeah
Mar 30, 2020
Atlanta
Oh Florida. Getting your schools open so quickly even though most school districts in the state are akin to an unessential business.Keep doin' you buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: Alf33 and Nicole
Nov 1, 2019
If you thought it couldn't get worse... It can.

There are a few thousand cases per year worldwide, of which a handful occur in the US (primarily in the southwest, specifically Colorado.) It isn't usually widely reported because it's easily diagnosed and can be treated with antibiotics. The only reason it is now is because it's China, where COVID started, and they know people will make a big deal about it.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I agree with most of your post—specifically on the incredible inequities with testing access, the snails pace at which tests are returned, parks taking this more seriously than most industries, etc—but I do want to point out something about this...

I know people that have only left their house in the past 4 months to go to the grocery store in the morning when crowds were less and were overly cautious, wore masks and gloves and yet they still recently fell ill and tested positive. I also know pwople that have not worn masks at all and been going about their business as normal and have been fine.
Face coverings are for protecting the people around you, not you. It’s not actually remotely surprising to hear that you know of situations where people who are diligently wearing masks are getting sick and those who aren’t have been fine—because irresponsible, unmasked (or improperly-masked), asymptotic people are still difficult to avoid in many places throughout the country. Those are often the people spreading the virus to everyone, whether masked or not.

Apr 1, 2010
NC
Sadly, there is news of this happening. Local news carried this story of following all the precautions, including masks, to no avail. Concerning masks, the interweb is full of stories about WHAT kind of mask actually provides any sort of protection. What kinds of mask the teachers used, or if used correctly, is not reported. There is just not enough known about this virus to say anything works better than distance and washing.

3 School Teachers in Winkelman Get COVID-19, One Later Dies

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I moved these two posts, because they seemed to be about COVID in general, vice it’s affects on the amusement industry specifically.

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest Aficionado
Jul 26, 2014
For anyone keeping track, Governor Northam will be giving his first COVID-19 briefing today in almost three weeks at 2pm this afternoon. It is unknown if he will resume the two briefings a week starting today, but some are speculating the increasing COVID percentages as the reason for this, and some are even speculating that we might go back to Phase 2 in Virginia. I highly doubt we’ll hear anything on the theme park front.

Apr 22, 2019
Masks do provide some protection to the wearer, though they are more for protecting others from you. Still I would not say that they don't provide any protection to the wearer at all. Still, that's what's especially infuriating about the anti-maskers. They are putting everyone else at risk. That's their choice.

Reactions: Zachary
Nov 24, 2009
Look mask do have porpose, but the wide variety that is considered a "mask" is complete crap. When at Universal I wore a neck gaiter which completely closes in the sides so if you sneze it will slow it some. Its well known im anti mask for this, but I played along and played by the rules.However there were many many people there that had things that I guess met the mask guideline both from guests and cast but really did nothing. The masks that I previously described as "curtains" was the biggest one. The other issue I have is we are suppose to be trying not to touch our faces, eyes nose and mouth yet everyone you see is constantly adjusting the stupit things. Another issue I have is when people take off the masks to eat. Most of the time you see them just lay them on the table. Not only does that contaminate their mask but the mask that has been filtering and collecting moisture and bacteria from the wearer is now contaminating the table for others to spread. A year afo if you saw someone sneeze on their hand or wide a runny nose with their hand then touch a door handle you would have thought that was the nastiest person alive, yet now people are basically doing the same thing touching their masks but its ok now.
Look, I think most people here think I just dont give a shit, but thats far from the truth. I actually border on a germaphobe, for as long as I can remember I always put the hotel tv remotes in ziplock bags and wipe every surface I plan on touching or my stuff touching with clorox wipes when I check in. In fact my hotel routine is to go to the room with wipes and a flashlight and check it before I ever bring my stuff in. I check the beds throughly and wipe every surface before I feel comfortable....oh and connecting doors are a no go.
Its just funny to me how the country was doing good with the rona till widespread mask rules were put in place and more people started wearing them in the last month or so.

• Dislike
  • Eye-Roll
Reactions: Merboy and Nicole

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
@WDWRLD: You may have been scrupulous in protecting yourself from germs, but you seem to be overlooking the reason for wearing a mask: to protect others. You detail all of the measures you take to sterilize spaces to reduce the risk to yourself, buy you have not addressed what you do to protect everyone else from your germs. Do you also wipe down your hotel rooms, as you are leaving? (No, I am not implying you should, but I am saying that would be the correct equivalent to wearing masks.)

I agree that selfish/stupid/unsanitary people expose all of us to germs every day. I think most other problems created by masks, however, affect the wearer, not the people around him or her.

Finally, I hope you aren't trying to imply that the recent increase in the number of cases is caused by people wearing masks. That would simply be unsupported by any credible research right now.

Zachary

𝓡oyal 𝓜ango 𝓒réme Frappuccino Survivor
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
I dont take my dirty mask off and leave it on the tables were others will sit to eat.
No one should sit at a not-freshly-washed table right now. Whatever the morons before you do at the table shouldn't matter if businesses are doing their job following CDC guidance. Businesses that aren't shouldn't be allowed to operate right now.

Nov 24, 2009
No one should sit at a not-freshly-washed table right now. Whatever the morons before you do at the table shouldn't matter if businesses are doing their job following CDC guidance. Businesses that aren't shouldn't be allowed to operate right now.
Good luck with that....at dining locations from the parks I visited it seemed to be done most of the time but some tables are not in eating lications and in out of the way corners. I saw numerous times guests just sitting and get up and leave and a few minutes later more guests sit down. One prime example of them not cleaning tables was the SWO passholder lounge......there was no one cleaning anything the two seperate times we went in. Once when they first opened and another when we had lunch about 2pm. Again, its about personal resoonsibility, wipe your own table if you are worried about it, should the park be doing it yes, but if they arent take it upon yourself to look out for yourself. Clorox travel wipes are your friend!

Apr 1, 2010
NC
Grab a drink. Have a seat.

Some long reads - Do Face Masks Work? Types and Effectiveness.
Skip to the bottom to see different comments on mask types - Is This COVID-19 Mask Efficacy Chart Accurate?
And a visual on the effectiveness. Seeing is Believing: Effectiveness of Facemasks.
The same video with some measurements - Best Masks to Keep COVID-19 to Yourself.
Yeah, and 6 feet?? Not nearly far enough for no masks - Stay 6 Feet Apart. Simulated Cough Reveals That May Not be Enough
And regardless of choosing a good mask, ya' gotta' wear them right.

Bonus, the best way ever to show correct hand washing techniques - Proper Hand Washing Technique.

You're welcome for taking up the rest of your evening. 😉

Reactions: Mamunia
Nov 24, 2009
And from the very first link, wash your hands before putting on a mask, dont touch the mask but if you do wash your hands afterward and then when you take it off wash your hands. Maybe instead of pushing fascmasks as much we should be putting us wash stations at parks and retail stores and resturaunbts. Not those crappy wasg stations Disney is using either. Something with a good water supply for a propper washing.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad