Coronavirus Crisis

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Mar 16, 2016
If getting the virus provides long term immunity, it can.
Within a population. When traveling to many places in the world, typically third world countries, usually part of the requirement is the get vaccines for all flus past and present because they still exist. I’ve known people to do a mission trip and not get properly vaccinated and spend the entire time sick with the Spanish flu or something like that.

So could we essentially make is non-existent in areas? Absolutely. Completely eradicate it? Highly unlikely.

Nov 30, 2018
Good. They should.

I wouldn't want to be stuck on a plane for hours with somebody who refuses to wear a mask, while the air recycles. Even if the air is cleaned while recycled it certainly wouldn't make me feel safe.
I read something recently that the main reason for masks was that even though the airplane can recycle air fast enough for someone shedding virus breathing, they need masks for anyone coughing or sneezing since the transmission of large droplets is very quick. I would think they airlines could offer face shields or towels for someone who can't wear a mask.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
The recent increases in positive cases have been overwhelmingly 30 and under. Median age in Florida is 37 with 62% of cases 45 and under. It’s been tied to Memorial Day parties.

Reactions: Applesauce

Alf33

Life is short, so eat dessert first.
Jun 8, 2013
This is a public service announcement. Even though I've never heard of these brands there may be someone who has them. Figured this was the best thread. Move if necessary.

Nov 24, 2009
If you ever stop at Morris Farm Market on the way to the OBX they are selling hand sanitizer and its made by a mosquito perstcide company. They arent hiding it either its in big letters. Walmart has large bottles of Equate brand hand sanitizer and it smells absolutely horrid.

Mar 16, 2016
This one really blew my mind hearing it last night:

USA Percent of World Population - 5%
USA Percent of World Cases - 25.55%
USA Percent of World Deaths - 25.27%

• Wow
Reactions: Merboy
Apr 7, 2013
This one really blew my mind hearing it last night:

USA Percent of World Population - 5%
USA Percent of World Cases - 25.55%
USA Percent of World Deaths - 25.27%
Not defending the handling of COVID by the USA, but the USA is such a unique country compared to pretty much any other in the world based on size, population, infrastructure, freedoms, etc.

Mar 16, 2016
Not defending the handling of COVID by the USA, but the USA is such a unique country compared to pretty much any other in the world based on size, population, infrastructure, freedoms, etc.
Not enough to skew the data that much. And you need to add some context to some of your reasoning there as to why you are using them to qualify some of why ours is higher.

Apr 16, 2017
. . . but the USA is such a unique country compared to pretty much any other in the world based on size, population, infrastructure, freedoms, etc.
It truly isn't as unique as most believe. Was the US unique at one point, sure. However, in recent times, many other countries have grown to match us or even exceed us in some way.

I've had people tell me that only the US has true freedom of speech. However, the truth is many, many countries have the freedom of speech. It may not be nicely written down in a set of 10 amendments, but they have it written in their laws.

I've had people tell me that our Constitution is the best because we can just amend it and that other countries have nothing but a messy pile of papers. However, most countries have either a single document or a few documents that make up one constitution. I would argue the fact we haven't rewritten ours could actually be a flaw in that we are so stuck to trying to fix new age problems with ancient solutions.

Our infrastructure as a whole is becoming more and more left behind in the dust by other countries who have advanced their infrastructure systems.

There are other countries with just as large or dense populations. Keep in mind Russia and China are still pretty big, as big if not more big than our own country.

In fact, I think the most unique thing about America is our will to constantly fight and argue to the death on every topic. Because I have rights and freedom and such.

Reactions: r757chan

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I think this analysis is an oversimplification. Have many other states benefitted from the Enlightenment, as well? Of course. Have other societies emulated our "shining city on a hill?" Absolutely. In fact, that was stated US policy for years: to lead the world by example. The (relatively) recent wars to impose our way of life oversees are actually a historical abberation.

The fact that others share our values does not mean that any other state has the same founding principles and strategic culture as we. In fact, given our unique geography, history, etc, I would argue that is impossible.

I am not a fan of American exceptionalism. It has a connotation I dislike and leads to foreign policies I don't support; but saying that we aren't unique seems like a misreading of the facts to me.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
There are other countries with just as large or dense populations. Keep in mind Russia and China are still pretty big, as big if not more big than our own country.
US is "4th" in land mass (Antartica is what pushes it, so really the US is 3rd in size among countries). US is 3rd in total population. 145th in population density (this includes dependencies as well). So a few countries with as much size. Many more that are denser and doing far better than us.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad