Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
If you have an idea for something that you think should be added to Kings Dominion, but don't have a fully fleshed out concept, you may post it in this thread and perhaps other members of the community can help you expand your idea into a full fledged concept.

Reactions: I305Evan
Help me out with my concept for the return of something loved by golden years KD fans. The King Kobra! This ride was removed after 8-9 years of operation due to CONSTANT downtime. It was a very popular ride and always had a line full of excited park goers. This coaster is a complete dwarf in comparison to the steel coasters that are built these days. If I305 was 25 million bucks worth of steel and labor, how much could this shuttle loop possibly cost in comparison? It could utilize state of the art launching instead of the downtime inducing counterweight design of the original. It obviously has an extremely small footprint on the land being in a straight line. Get some duck butter green paint and WaLa!! I feel like this could be the 'ultimate' 40th anniversary present to all the older folks who loved the original King Kobra. The patent on that thing has to be expired by now. Premier could build it, Intamin could build it(their shuttles are quite reliable, for all the haters), Hell, anybody could built it! Take a look at the picture if you aren't familiar with this ride, and tell me it doesn't look fun :) Can anybody add to my idea, or shoot it down?

Attachments

• 74682_283589161781842_2126270028_n.jpg
    74682_283589161781842_2126270028_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
After spending quite a bit of time contemplating ways to bring back a ride to Time Shaft's space, and figuring out how to add another dark ride to the park, I stumbled upon the Madhouse by Vekoma (also manufactured by Mack). Essentially, this is a room full of special effects where guests sit in a gondola and take in the happenings. The gondola tilts slightly, but the surrounding room (unattached to the gondola) spins around, giving a disorienting and gravity-defying sensation.

I like the looks of this ride predominately because it has a very small footprint (about 36 feet tall and 40 feet long in total) which should be able to fit in Time Shaft's old home- the "foot of the mountain" by Volcano's turn out of the station. I have never experienced a ride like this personally, but it looks like a unique (and relatively inexpensive) experience that would sort-of add to the park's dark ride lineup, something that desperately needs to expand. Something I am unsure of is how any ride could be installed in the space; I fear the top of the "mountain" would need to be demolished to install a large ride within. Of course, they built a roller coaster inside a mountain without completely destroying it.

Now, as for the theme- there are plenty of options to explore. Of course, I'm leaning towards the obvious one: Time Shaft. ;) Hmm...

What do you think?

Reactions: netdvn and wombat96
Having recently ridden the train at Family Kingdom amusement park, I have decided to return to the concept of a train ride at KD. About a year ago I posted a full thread with the concept of a trackless train running alongside Rebel Yell, but the trackless train idea is pretty dumb to be honest. Since one of the things KD needs most is a transportation ride, I've done some research on the subject.

I'm thinking a Chance C.P. Huntington train would be the perfect candidate for a simple train ride at KD. C.P. Huntingtons are one of the most popular choices for theme park trains in the industry, are easily versatile for different projects, and are relatively inexpensive. They are real, hand-crafted quarter-scale replicas of an 1880 steam train which look strikingly similar to the Old Dominion Line locomotives that used to operate at the park. Cedar Fair has worked with smaller-scale trains like this previously.

The train itself is a perfect fit for the park, and it's a beauty to look at. Unfortunately, KD's layout and its location of attractions and other obstacles makes laying out a path for train tracks extremely difficult. This essentially eliminates any possibility of a train being able to make a full circuit around the park. However, since the most tiresome part of walking through the park is the long, straight midway section along Candy Apple Grove, the train could still be used to shuttle guests between Safari Village and the Hurler end of Candy Apple Grove.

I want to say right now that the goal of my layout plan is not for a scenic ride, but for the easiest and overall quickest route from Candy Apple Grove to Safari Village. The train is majorly a transportation shuttle between Point A and Point B, with leisurely views simply an added bonus.

Anyway, I'm thinking there could be a covered station ("Grove Station") in Candy Apple Grove in the dead-end area by Ricochet and Hurler (currently a fence leading to a backstage area). The train runs a counter-clockwise circuit, pulling into the station on the left-hand side. Departing from the station, the train loops back into the woods to run parallel to Rebel Yell. The trick is, the track joins together at a Y-switch track after exiting the station and running Eastward(?) toward Safari Village.

To better elaborate, the train will shuttle back and forth on a single line of track, which loops around at each end (CAG and SV) to turn around and rejoins the single track via a switch track. So the whole track layout would look like this ("<>" symbolizing track "loops" adjoining the single track at the switch track).

<>-----<>

Does all that make any sense?

Anyway, all you need to know from here is that the train travels along a SINGLE line of track, which is now chugging alongside Rebel Yell. In the direction of heading to SV, the coaster is directly to the left of the track (properly separated from guest interaction by fences) and the woods that stretch to the back of the park are on the right. The track simply continues to go in a straight line along Rebel Yell.

For a more interesting ride, perhaps the track could then even cut under maintenance road that runs under Rebel Yell's turnaround. This would bring the track between Rebel Yell, right up to the edge of Lake Charles. The track would continue into Intimidator's area, cutting beneath the coaster and providing views of the coaster not normally visible. Fences would surround the track on both sides to prevent stupid guests from approaching restricted areas of the coaster.

The track would then loop around next to the maintenance road behind Volcano and would loop around Avalanche. It would continue to hug the side of Avalanche with the final brake run. Here it would turn toward the Volcano/Avalanche/Crypt plaza.

A second station ("Lion Country Station"?) would be located by what is currently a grassy field at the dead end in the aforementioned plaza. Here guests from the Grove Station could potentially disembark, having avoided walking through the majority of the park's main midway. Guests could also enter and take a trip to Grove Station. From here the train could simply disembark and make a loop where another Y-switch track would meet the train up with the main track. Now the train can simply travel back along this single track that it followed earlier, shuttling back to Candy Apple Grove.

The train only would interact with a guest pathway once, which would be the pathway right behind Rebel Yell leading to the back half of WaterWorks. This would simply require a set of railroad-crossing signals that would lower in place (much like at BGW) to prevent guests from getting in the way of the track. There are also a few maintenance roads (off-limits to guests) which would require similar precautions, mainly to prevent vehicular collisions. These crossing signals are provided by Chance.

The locomotives can pull between two to six coaches. Because of the size and likely demand of the train (especially since there can only be one locomotive due to the "shuttle" layout), the six-coach option would probably be most practical for a park of KD's size. A six-coach train can hold 84 adults.

Each station could be decorated according to their area's theme, much like at Kings Island. "Grove Station" could have a more traditional "old-fashioned" train station feel, while "Lion Country Station" could be made with a safari/cargo feel, maybe with crates labeled with different animals/supplies in the station. My guess is a round-trip ride would be about 10 minutes long, a countdown clock could be mounted at each station telling guests when the next train will arrive.

The park would almost certainly opt for the PA system, lighting system, and ADA-compliant wheelchair ramp for the best experience for everyone. Automated spiels over the PA system, or simply music, could be implemented to the park's benefit.

There could be small scenes, fountains, theming, etc. built along the way to make the ride more interesting. Billboards promoting various park items placed throughout the ride would make great advertising for the park.

One of the greatest benefits would be the Haunt possibilities. One of Kings Island's most popular attractions is their haunted train, and KD could easily utilize their train as a Haunt attraction. Because of the "shuttle" system, the park would only have to decorate for a one-way trip, but the train could service both stations, improving capacity without the budget issues faced by having to decorate a full-circuit train track. As I've said before, if the park ever did a haunted train, they could open up Boo Blasters for Haunt (usually closes with the rest of Planet Snoopy) and put Boo Blasters, the train, and Blue Ridge Bloodbath in their own "Haunted Attractions" category, eliminating issues with Blue Ridge not fitting in with the other mazes.

As for the name? I'm thinking a tribute to the original train ride, the Old Dominion Line, would be more than appropriate. Even though we now know this certainly won't be happening next year, it would be the perfect ride to return for the 40th anniversary. It would be great marketing, too. "The return of an old family favorite!" The trains can be custom-painted, and some that I have seen look remarkably similar to the Old Dominion Line trains. While the train would have many obvious differences, especially since this would be an actual (and much-needed) transportation ride instead just a one-stop attraction, it would be the perfect "return of an old favorite" deal.

Anyway this is my little idea for what could be a wonderful (and highly needed) attraction at the park. What do you think? If you guys like the idea, maybe I can scrape together some concept art and work on a real concept. Thoughts?

EDIT: Maybe this idea isn't as "little" as I thought! :p Staff, feel free to move this where you'd like if you see fit. Thanks!

Joe, excellent idea! But isn't the thread for concepts that aren't full fledged?:p In my opinion the park should put a transportation ride like the peoplemover over Candy Apple all the way to Safari Village. It could start in Hyper Sonics spot and could finish possibly by Scrambler. The world needs more People Movers.

Reactions: Mushroom
Your idea is well thought out Joe. I like it but it sounds very expensive. I would think there are cheaper alternatives down the avenue of what you posted above. Elevated trains, monorails, maybe even a modern version of the skyride. Straight across the front half of the waterpark from Rebel Yell's exit to the seating area at the entrance of Anaconda. (train ride sounds much more fun)

Joe said:
Maybe not a People Mover, but maybe something like this could work. http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-details-rides-monorail

^ Ooh, those are so cute!

And, great concept, Joe! As someone who rode both the old Skyride (which admittedly wasn't much in the way of transportation but was still fun) and the Old Dominion Line (which also didn't take you anywhere but again, fun!), I'm a big advocate of building some sort of enjoyable, attractive transport at the park.

So yesterday standing on the 'tower I had an idea. I think KD should move the parking lot away from the main park over near the camp ground. They could still have preferred and handicap parking close in but the rank and file should be separated out by a tree line. A tram or indeed a trolly could be the people mover of choice.
As a phase 2, they could turn the large area that is currently the parking areas into a new and larger water park that shares a common ticket area with the main park but has its own entrance. (it can still be one park, if that is a real thing)

This would free up some much needed space in the park and the water park could expand into past the power lines (yes the drive way would have to move, but that is a given anyway)

But the main point is the ugly parking would no longer but right up against the park, lake Charles could come back, and or the the main park would have 20 more acres to work with.

Of course this is all moot, as next year they plan to re-vamp the water park where it sits.

That was my intention. Year one build new parking lot.
Year two rehab area where old parking lot was and build new entrance
Year three/Four/Five build out water park
Year six take over the world

Reactions: wombat96
What's year seven plan master Zimmy? Also would the park buy out the motel near the parking lot? I've heard they have Peanut themed suites so I wonder if the park has any control over it.

that hotel has had a long history with the park.  I think it may have its own entrance or at least did.  At one time it was called "king suites" or something to that effect.  

Eventual expansion would require it as well as the truck stop's removal.

Reactions: wombat96
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad