Login or Register to Hide This Ad

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
Looks like they'd only do it if they got a local health care group to sponsor it.
Well they are not just going to post signs for the sake of it. Unless they are part of something that brings revenue, there is no reason to waste time and money on things they can't use to bring more people into the park. If Sentara or Riverside wanted to sponsor something in the park, I'm sure they would do it.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Well they are not just going to post signs for the sake of it. Unless they are part of something that brings revenue, there is no reason to waste time and money on things they can't use to bring more people into the park. If Sentara or Riverside wanted to sponsor something in the park, I'm sure they would do it.

Counterpoint: didn't they go through the effort of posting signage for park history as part of the 40th anniversary season?

Oct 7, 2011
Counterpoint: didn't they go through the effort of posting signage for park history as part of the 40th anniversary season?
Yes… because it was part of observing the park’s milestone anniversary, which is both more meaningful to the park’s identity and more marketable than walking path signage.

I do like the idea of having a marked walking path through the park. Small return but low cost, and people love to gravitate toward a sign with walking mileage on it. More challenging terrain than Tampa, that’s for sure.

AIR

Busch Gardens Flying Coaster
Jul 7, 2017
Williamsburg VA
A few years back, SeaWorld brought penguins to Busch Gardens for Christmas Town and put them backstage at the Royal Palace Theater in France. I thought that was a pretty neat seasonal attraction for CT. For some people I visited with, it was the highlight of their visit.

This past CT walking around Pompeii all lit up for Polar Pathway, I thought it would be a good idea if they brought back the penguins and put them in the maze area in the Pompeii show building. It'd be like the penguins are in the giant iceberg and guests get even more upclose and personal with the impressive display of lights on Pompeii. There is TONS of space in there for tanks and an indoor walkthrough attraction for CT. If they got creative with it, they could leave a Howl-o-Scream maze intact and still have room for this.

Alf33

Life is short, so eat dessert first.
Jun 8, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Along with this I wonder if it could be possible for the park to use the splash pool area right after the drop for a large, open swimming area for penguins. Block off the pool after the drop and block it off before the return turn, take the lights out and fill it with water. They'd also have to block off areas out of the water to keep the penguins in. Then you'd have a large open area to view them along the path and the covered overlook. It would allow for both and indoor and outdoor viewing at Pompeii.

Last edited:

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
As it was brought up in the BfE thread, I had a thought on how that whole side of Killarney could be rebuilt:

Retain the facades but demolish all buildings on the right side of the path as you're heading to the wildlife preserve - Both the restaurant/pub, simulator buildings (entrance/exit pathways, show building), and Castle O'Sullivan.

Starting at the pub/restaurant/simulator entrance - the restaurant is now combined into the same building as the pub.

Starting from the bridge, you'll come across a new fire pit and outdoor seating area including your regular chairs and tables plus Adirondack chairs and the appropriate sized side tables. The vined pergola can be retained. Past that is a space that can become a full open-air bar in warm temperatures but otherwise can be an outdoor food and beverage pickup window otherwise. Next to this facing the path is an entrance into the pub area - likely where the pathway in front of the simulator entrance currently exists. The outdoor bar is actually the other side of the indoor bar. Just past that and further into the building are food serving lines - potentially set up like Marco Polo's though with online/app pre-ordering and payment in mind. At this point, you'd run into the existing pub space, which would be expanded a bit and have a small stage added that can also serve as additional seating. The existing bathrooms would be removed and reoriented towards the main pathway with an entrance on both the pub and pathway sides.

The pathway where the existing restroom access is would be added to the building - it would be the attraction entrance area. Right now I don't have a strong concept for such an attraction though I think the mood is right for a true dark ride of some sort - mix of live props, screens, etc that can and should be updated as time goes on. The attraction would take most of the existing CoS and simulator building spaces but would use a virtual queue system to prevent large lines.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Login or Register to Hide This Ad