Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Pretzel Kaiser

Silver Donor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm thinking about hitting up Colonial Williamsburg this weekend. I have a few questions for those who have been.

Has anybody been there this time of year? Do they still have a lot of stuff going on during this time of year?
Are there places to eat on the site that are reasonably priced?
Any other advice for a first time visitor?

RE: Colonial Williamsburg advice

PzP said:
I'm thinking about hitting up Colonial Williamsburg this weekend. I have a few questions for those who have been.

Has anybody been there this time of year? Do they still have a lot of stuff going on during this time of year?
Are there places to eat on the site that are reasonably priced?
Any other advice for a first time visitor?

I have a couple partial answers for you. From what I've seen and remember, there is a lot less going on in the wintertime (outside and inside the buildings as well) as they most likely have fewer reenactors on site & The hours are much shorter at the places that are open. This is the best place for all that information on hours and what is open ( they really hide the page now). Personally I have not found a cheap place to eat without getting in the car (I love going to Peking Restaurant whenever I am in Williamsburg.)

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
key word was reasonably priced.....for opus 9 prices they could dine at a far better restaurant say fat canary or blue talon bistro.....the lodge is what you're looking for....open year round...across from the armory up england street...

I would also recommend Paul's Deli or the College Delly...more of a college hang out but Paul's has some of the best pizza in the burg...and their deli sandwiches are awesome....These are within walking distance of cw...and cheap...

Quick question: Is Williamsburg the Pancake/Waffle capitol of the US? I drove from the outlets to the park and I think I counted upwards of 15 pancake/waffle restaurants. At one point, I thought we had passed the rest of the breakfeast establishments, but luckily I saw a sign on the side of the road that informed me that capitol pancake house was only 1.5 miles up the road.

Well depending on what time of the day you go. The Cheese Shop is a great sandwich place if you're there before 6pm. Otherwise you can't go wrong with the Blue Talon or really anything that is around there. All the restaurants are open year around.

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
PzP said:
I was actually wondering about dining on the grounds of CW.

Sorry, I just noticed this thread. A cheap place to eat in CW is Retro's. They do blue plate special/diner stuff. Decent, depending on what you get. Very basic. Cheap. But it's a sit down, affordable place that you wouldn't have to drive to.

It's on Scotland St across from Blue Talon.

pandorazboxx said:
heads up, there's a groupon deal today for haunted tours for half off or more.

I know that lady that does those. They're really cool. Not the CW "storytelling" tour (boring). This tour is told first person, you interact with characters, etc. This groupon is a great deal. 2 for 1.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad