Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
The website has the Christmas Limited Capacity Event dates listed.

Sort of. The dates are really just the Christmas Town dates that were already in the schedule, and while it's possible they'll be keeping those dates, they haven't updated the actual times they're open to reflect the different timeslots, meaning I still feel like there's a big "subject to change" hanging over the event at the moment.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.22.50 PM.png

While still subject to change, they certainly have listed dates for Christmas, very specifically calling it out for this event.

Yeah, that’s better confirmation. I’m curious what they do in terms of time slots, given that the lights (whatever they do put up over they two week span) are a huge part of the appeal but the cold can shut down the rides once darkness hits.

Yeah, that’s better confirmation. I’m curious what they do in terms of time slots, given that the lights (whatever they do put up over they two week span) are a huge part of the appeal but the cold can shut down the rides once darkness hits.
The big issue is that rides aren't really the main appeal of ChristmasTown and it's unlikely there would be any shows (maybe one at most). If the forecasted temps are low, will they even bother opening those days.

Reactions: belsaas
I would expect not nearly as many rides, but the full park loop open with lights. Flat rides scattered throughout. I think the ambiance will be the main event as it doesn't require as much staff. Daytime might be more for kids, like the Halloween one, with kid rides and activities.

I would expect not nearly as many rides, but the full park loop open with lights. Flat rides scattered throughout. I think the ambiance will be the main event as it doesn't require as much staff. Daytime might be more for kids, like the Halloween one, with kid rides and activities.

This all makes sense. I'm just curious how they decide to price an event like this, when you don't have the shows that are so central to Christmas Town's appeal, and when the rides are so variable.

Reactions: tursiops
I think holiday food, drink, and shopping, are a perennial staples of Christmas Town, as well, and can easily be part of this event. Honestly, I don't like the rides in the cold and avoid theme park shows like the plague. The holiday lights and the culinary and merch offerings are what interest people like me, anyway.

I think holiday food, drink, and shopping, are a perennial staples of Christmas Town, as well, and can easily be part of this event. Honestly, I don't like the rides in the cold and avoid theme park shows like the plague. The holiday lights and the culinary and merch offerings are what interest people like me, anyway.

That makes sense as a member, certainly, but I do wonder how much they are able to charge a non-member guest if you have no shows, only socially distant photo opportunities, no Land of Dragons, etc.

This will be interesting to see how the park manages to pull this off as the main draw for the event seems to be the lights and shows, with the rides serving as more of a supplementary addition to the event line-up. With no indoor dining available at the moment, I wonder if they will start to do some form of tents or maybe even a socially distanced Festhaus due to the colder temperatures? With the current reservation system in place with four hour windows, it's going to be very interesting to see the park justifying visiting in the morning or afternoon. Pass holders will come out in the cold rain and snow, no matter what. However, why would someone who is buying a ticket or can only visit once want to from 10-2 or in the afternoon knowing this event is meant to be enjoyed at night? During the day, this event is essentially going to be brutally cold, reduced BGW with Christmas music playing, and maybe some festive offerings along with speciality food. Also, with the short turn around between the October event and this new Christmas event, I can't see too many decorations being put on the paths, it takes a massive team and a large amount of time to get this process done, with the limited capacity in place will the cost of the lights be justified?

I'm expecting a few displays, but nothing close to anything in the past and maybe some wreaths and other holiday-esque props loosely scattered around the park. CT is a huge attendance boost for the park and promotes in park spending greatly with a reduced ride line up, but with the current system in place, it's going to be very challenging to provide a Christmas event that is equally as good during the day, as is at night.

The rides for Christmas Town are mostly aimed at kids - none are at the higher height requirements - and making it a family event. If you take out most the rides and Santa's workshop, the food and drink would really have to be enticing for adults to fill the park, as families would likely avoid the event (members excepted).

My hunch is BGW can do rides or show(s), but they can't easily do both under the constraints. This is going to be tricky to pull off with all the decorating needed, vice setting up a trick or treat path that is much lower effort.

I bring friends every year, who share my preferences.

Absolutely. For me, of the groups I brought to Christmas Town last year, one (COVID withstanding) would have probably considered a rides-less and show-less event just for the ambiance, but the ones involves smaller kids would probably not attend for the reasons @rswashdc outlined.

How would they handle the Santa photo op? Would they even have it?
I think it would be odd to have photos with masks.

Their best option would be to set up a socially distanced photo op in the France amphitheater where Santa stays on stage, and kids off.

Reactions: tursiops and Nicole
I doubt any sane Santa would want dozens or hundreds of kids per night coming within six feet of him these days, masked or not.
Put Santa in a bubble suit with a separate oxygen source. That or a plexiglass separated room with a phone in between.

• Sad
Put Santa in a bubble suit with a separate oxygen source. That or a plexiglass separated room with a phone in between.
I could see some video conference call type setup with something along the lines of we are sorry but Santa is to busy in his workshop getting ready for Christmas but still wants to talk to you as cover story.

As many have said the draw of CT isn't the rides, but the ambiance and atmosphere with dining and shopping. From what I've heard they are planning on doing a fair amount of lights and decorations. They are planning on working on the areas that will not be open during October.

Also right now apparently the plan is to have the Festhaus be the restaurant for Christmas.

So dumb thought, but could they do a Santa picture via green screen with an actor Santa on stage in the Festhaus not near anyone?

• Love
Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad