Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Apr 11, 2017
They have specially themed food, but honestly, it isn’t as good as it was in the past. Most of the eateries are usually open, but it is hard to predict right now.

There are always a couple coasters and several flats open, but as @horsesboy said, people are generally not there for the rides. The lights, shops, food, music, and shows are the main attractions.

This is very interesting to think about.

I just can't imagine not a lot of people being in line. But again, that's off the assumption that not all the rides are open. But everyone's telling me that most of their popular attractions are open. I may check a couple of shows as well. It sounds very fun. Can you get things like yams, holiday ham and other things that you would expect on a dinner table during the holiday?

Also, Nicole; I have a Verbolten question; but I don't want to double post in the Verbolten ride topic.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Recently they seem to have removed the ham, but I think there has still been turkey. There are different menus each year. They have historically had stews, paninis, etc. Their specialty hot chocolate is a major focus.

I wouldn’t claim that “most” of their attractions are open. For example, Apollo’s Chariot is usually closed. Recently, it’s queue area has been used for a Rudolf meet and greet.

Feel free to double post in the Bolt thread.

Reactions: deacfan31
Mar 17, 2021
This is very interesting to think about.

I just can't imagine not a lot of people being in line. But again, that's off the assumption that not all the rides are open. But everyone's telling me that most of their popular attractions are open. I may check a couple of shows as well. It sounds very fun. Can you get things like yams, holiday ham and other things that you would expect on a dinner table during the holiday?

Also, Nicole; I have a Verbolten question; but I don't want to double post in the Verbolten ride topic.
Here's the Christmas Town map from 2017, I believe. Most children's and family rides are open. Of the 7 coasters, however, only Verbolten and Invadr are open. Also the water rides (Le Scoot and Escape from Pompeii) which rack up hour+ waits every day during the summer are closed. So while most attractions are open, the majority of the large attractions that have extensive waits in the summer season are closed. Because of that, it puts a lot of people out on the pathways versus being in queue lines.

Attachments

• christmas-town-map.jpg
    christmas-town-map.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
They are starting very early. Glad they are getting a jump.
While not usually this early Christmas Town has snuck into Howl-O-Scream for several years. But given that they are still short staffed and that this will be the first time without a break between the two events starting where you can as soon as you can makes good sense.

Aug 1, 2010
Seven Pines, Virginia
According to calendar, there is a break. The weekend of November 6 and 7 is open with no special event listed. So, they do have almost two weeks between the events. I know it's not nearly as much as in year's past. There is going to be some tired employees by the time Christmastown starts.

horsesboy

Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
According to calendar, there is a break. The weekend of November 6 and 7 is open with no special event listed. So, they do have almost two weeks between the events. I know it's not nearly as much as in year's past. There is going to be some tired employees by the time Christmastown starts.
Yes but the park I believe is open that weekend meaning paths gave to be clear for guests to get through and no work on setup that weekend either so it will have some effects.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Jun 6, 2013
Yes but the park I believe is open that weekend meaning paths gave to be clear for guests to get through and no work on setup that weekend either so it will have some effects.
According to the current calendar posted online they are closed that weekend. If you click those dates though it says open 12-8 so who knows.

Reactions: Zachary and Mwe BGW

Alf33

Life is short, so eat dessert first.
Jun 8, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Noticed this the other day. Whenever they start putting up the lights on the screen fences that are along the RR tracks that were put up a couple of years ago they better bring a chain saw and hedge trimmers as there is a lot of vegetation growing through the screens in a few sections that needs to be cut back big time.

Reactions: Mwe BGW and CR661

Mwe BGW

It's time to heat ZINGS UP!
Silver Donor
Jul 22, 2018
Rhinefeld will be Red and White for ct this year, but the wilkomenhaus plaza will still be multicolored .

Attachments

• A42A21C0-2439-4F52-9407-4408C831A265.jpeg
    A42A21C0-2439-4F52-9407-4408C831A265.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • BBC4367E-A6EB-48EE-A882-622571B2426A.jpeg
    BBC4367E-A6EB-48EE-A882-622571B2426A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 7F8FD2A0-D19B-412C-BA22-3DA648BA3353.jpeg
    7F8FD2A0-D19B-412C-BA22-3DA648BA3353.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 4C6E9988-FD63-4781-97FF-1E844AB06BF8.jpeg
    4C6E9988-FD63-4781-97FF-1E844AB06BF8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
  • E745221C-C131-487E-AC3D-B73A5E118427.jpeg
    E745221C-C131-487E-AC3D-B73A5E118427.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • ADD62339-CD9F-43B3-B2E6-F6508B1FBFE8.jpeg
    ADD62339-CD9F-43B3-B2E6-F6508B1FBFE8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28

horsesboy

Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I have been told that there will be no Gloria this year and that Abby Stone will be dark for Christmas Town. I have also heard that there will be a new popped based show in Fest House and a new more religious based show in Italy. My understanding is that at this point Marco Polo will likely be closed.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I have been told that there will be no Gloria this year and that Abby Stone will be dark for Christmas Town. I have also heard that there will be a new popped based show in Fest House and a new more religious based show in Italy.

I might be in the minority here, but if these rumors are true, I'll really miss Gloria. It had its weaknesses (the terribly cheesy slideshow projection comes to mind), but in years where the cast was good, the show had such a unique feeling of warmth and power to it. The opening number with Gabriel singing "Mary's Little Boy Child" could give chills, and the finale with "Do You Hear What I Hear?" was so festive and was always one of my family's favorite parts of all of CT.

The show as old, and definitely less polished than Scrooge No More and Twas That Night, so I won't lament the decision too much, as much as I'll miss the show and the memories. That said, I seriously question BGW's decision to let the Abbey Stone sit dark during CT. What are they thinking? The park should be opening as many indoor venues as possible; even though the Abbey Stone isn't huge, it gives several hundred people a half-hour escape from the cold. Keeping an indoor theater closed while investing in yet another show for an uncomfortable, freezing outdoor venue (Il Teatro di San Marco) is bonkers. (It probably sucks for the performers just as much, too.)

(My only thought is that the decision could be COVID-related, but if the park plans to have shows in the Festhaus and Globe, that reasoning seems unlikely.)

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Maybe it is pandemic related though? Thinking air volume in the Globe and Festhaus is much higher than Abbey Stone as well as could possibly be better equipped to circulate and filter the air.

Also, if not pandemic I'm wondering if it's due to staffing concerns or entertainment has other plans requiring use of that space.

horsesboy

Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I might be in the minority here, but if these rumors are true, I'll really miss Gloria. It had its weaknesses (the terribly cheesy slideshow projection comes to mind), but in years where the cast was good, the show had such a unique feeling of warmth and power to it. The opening number with Gabriel singing "Mary's Little Boy Child" could give chills, and the finale with "Do You Hear What I Hear?" was so festive and was always one of my family's favorite parts of all of CT.

The show as old, and definitely less polished than Scrooge No More and Twas That Night, so I won't lament the decision too much, as much as I'll miss the show and the memories. That said, I seriously question BGW's decision to let the Abbey Stone sit dark during CT. What are they thinking? The park should be opening as many indoor venues as possible; even though the Abbey Stone isn't huge, it gives several hundred people a half-hour escape from the cold. Keeping an indoor theater closed while investing in yet another show for an uncomfortable, freezing outdoor venue (Il Teatro di San Marco) is bonkers. (It probably sucks for the performers just as much, too.)

(My only thought is that the decision could be COVID-related, but if the park plans to have shows in the Festhaus and Globe, that reasoning seems unlikely.)
I second your thoughts on the show. I have no direct information bit think the answer might lie more with it having a live orchestra and relying on several techs to run it as far as Gloria being there. I also heard rumors that they may be using the back stage area to prep stuff for Mardi Gras but I don't necessarily have the most faith in that info.

Reactions: Pat and Mushroom

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
If the rumors about Gloria and Deck the Halls are true, big yikes.

Gloria was far more popular with the general public than even the likes of Celtic Fyre. Deck the Halls, while maybe not as iconic, was essentially the This is Oktoberfest of Christmas Town—people seemed to love it and it has just been a CMT staple since the beginning.

More importantly though, I really have extreme doubts about the park's ability to produce anything anywhere near the quality of either of those shows right now. Even setting aside all the brain drain that has happened since the last large, successful Christmas Town production debuted, the investment budgets required to do it right just don't seem to exist right now inside SEAS.

This should have just been a return to form year for the event. Bring back everyone's favorites and hope that overshadows the cuts made around the edges. If they're not even bringing back two of the big hitters though...

And yeah, I have to echo @Mushroom—reinvesting in a San Marco show again when literally any other theater is underutilized for Christmas Town is a wild prospect to me. A couple years ago if someone told me the Abbey Stone might sit dark for Christmas Town, I'd disregard it as a total impossibility. Now though? I still have my doubts, but unfortunately it no longer seems impossible. 😕

Last edited:
Login or Register to Hide This Ad