Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Pretzel Kaiser

Silver Donor
Apr 5, 2011
WTF Pics

So I decided to create this thread after I noticed something weird on google maps. I figured this could be a good thread for random BG pics that are note worthy, but don't have anywhere else to go.

I know why this pic is the way it is, but it caused me to do a double take.

Attachments

• lulzgriffon.JPG
    lulzgriffon.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 149
RE: WTF Pics

I noticed that too! Are you talking about how the trains are so close to each other near the splashdown part of the ride?

They take lots and lots of pics and paste them together, both are the same train.

I have one of Dollywood's Thunderhead with two trains right next to eachother :p I'll post it when I get home from school (even though this is a BGW thread)

Griffon Mystery Photo?

Hi All: New member here with a question regarding the attached Griffon photo that was created from Google Maps. This photo has had me puzzled for quite some time. I had to combine several screen shots so that it was viewable in a decent resolution, but I assure you there is no trickery here.

Perhaps someone can answer the question of why there seems to be two trains in a seemingly impossible position. One of the trains is making its run thought the water, yet another train appears to be climbing just past that point (and the third train sits just outside the station).

I have a decent understanding of coaster safety systems. Years ago, for a school project, I had the pleasure of speaking with Ron Toomer about safety system designs, including the blocking system, and was fortunate enough to have had a personal inspection of LCN while the park was closed for the season for the same school project. Yet this photo has me perplexed.

It seems as though the two trains on the lower left are in the same block, perhaps in the same block as the third train awaiting entry to the station. Very odd. I had thought that the satellite photograph may be comprised of photos taken a second or two apart, resulting in three trains appearing instead of two. Maybe someone can provide the answer. Great website here - I am certainly glad to be a new member.

Attachments

• Griffon.jpg
    Griffon.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
RE: Griffon Mystery Photo?

Google takes multiple shots at once and merges them together so that the image scrolls through smoothly. I'm sure those trains on Griffon are just the same one completing its circuit just as Google was snapping pictures.

B.Mac said:
Google takes multiple shots at once and merges them together so that the image scrolls through smoothly. I'm sure those trains on Griffon are just the same one completing its circuit just as Google was snapping pictures.

This, and the fact that it is not extended exposure it can leave misconceptions like the one presented here. Extended would have depicted one train as a long blur but given the rotation of Earth in conjunction with orbital travel of the satellite it is necessary for a few individual. There are other representations of this anomaly, see if you can find them (not in BGW). ;)

Just looked up BGW on Google Maps & noticed that the satellite image of the park shows Griffon just as it finished going through the water w/the sprayed water flying upwards. Perfect timing, Google! If you have a moment, check it out! Pretty cool!http://goo.gl/maps/WUeUu

b.mac said:

Quoting for explanation so nobody has to go to the last page.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad