Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 16, 2019
Sometimes you have to let stuff go. Her ego is pretty huge. I mean, even if I had a bad experience with a park I’m not trying to turn it into a huge deal where I get the news involved and when the park offers an apology I definitely wouldn’t blame the park for one lackluster
Employee.

Dec 7, 2021
The park did say that in the costumes, employees may not see a requested come through because of the way the costumes are designed. The place to look out is down so as to not bowl over little kids. Not forwards in a regular line of sight.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Especially in the current climate this is something that could either blow over and be forgotten on a few weeks or could blow up into a black fish type event. The appearance of a second sort of similar video definitely doesn't help the situation.

Jun 6, 2013
I don't think is blackfish level, but i did just see an article on daily mail with videos. It's not good for the chain, that's for sure.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
I think the "most-not-good" angle here has to be the strain it's causing in the SEAS/Sesame relationship. Seeing Sesame Workshop having to come out with a big apology statement/denouncement for something that happened at a park they don't operate isn't good at all.

I agree that the additional videos add a lot of fuel to the fire, but I also do still suspect that brand-reputation-wise, this is a pretty temporary-looking hurdle right now.

Mar 16, 2016
I think the "most-not-good" angle here has to be the strain it's causing in the SEAS/Sesame relationship. Seeing Sesame Workshop having to come out with a big apology statement/denouncement for something that happened at a park they don't operate isn't good at all.

I agree that the additional videos add a lot of fuel to the fire, but I also do still suspect that brand-reputation-wise, this is a pretty temporary-looking hurdle right now.
I've been on twitter following this, and people have been posting counter videos of many kids of various races and ages getting ignored. Not saying this is getting sensationalized and overblown and trying erase it, because it is a problem no mater what. There's people replying to tweets about this with comments about kids being ignored in other parks, Disney characters blowing kids off, and the like. And interesting one I saw was that a SP character was accused of ignoring a kid that wanted picked up, and someone shared a screen shot of where in the parks policy it said that characters don't pick up kids.

Personally, I think a potential employee problem is becoming a park problem because people are misplacing anger towards it.

I do feel like because of that, it's going to be a hurdle thing once more and more comes out of things like this happening at companies. I think that more companies need to do what Disney does with walk around characters. Give them a companion that can spot kids; or just have all the characters on floats to avoid this as they can't stop and hug/highfive every single child.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I think that more companies need to do what Disney does with walk around characters. Give them a companion that can spot kids; or just have all the characters on floats to avoid this as they can't stop and hug/highfive every single child
Totally agree - having never worn a similar costume, I can only guess that the limited sight-line of the employee plays a decent role in all of this, and is a large part of what gets overlooked in these stories.

If they know the employee can't really see kids near their lower half within a certain distance (say 3'-4' radius), then the park needs to have operating guidelines that prevent kids from getting in that space and creating a bad time.

Those videos and statements aren't a good look, sure, but it'd be nice if the court of public opinion doesn't automatically conclude racism is the cause before there's reasonable proof. But such is the world we live in I guess...

Reactions: horsesboy

Ice

Coffee is for Closers
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
DC Area
Honestly the degree of blatancy that comes across in that vid is the sole reason I am sure it was an accident and wasn't intentional. It would take an absolute MENACE to look directly at those two kids and say "nah" before hugging a kid right next to them on the basis of race. It isn't like it was a subtle thing either, and I really don't think I have ever met someone racist enough to so boldly do something like that intentionally. It HAS to be just coincidental and unlucky.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I tend to believe that the two videos I saw were no more then accidents that have been blow way out of proportion but the family does now have a lawyer and a press statement from him was just aired as the number 2 story on ABC Radio's 2:00 new

Mar 16, 2016
I tend to believe that the two videos I saw were no more then accidents that have been blow way out of proportion but the family does now have a lawyer and a press statement from him was just aired as the number 2 story on ABC Radio's 2:00 new
Nation of litigation at it again.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad