Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 1, 2021
Disclaimer: This post contains several pictures. You might want to scroll down if you are interested in just getting the meat and potatoes of this post.

It came as a big shock to me (and possibly several of you) when Cedar Point announced that they would be removing Wicked Twister last year. Well, Cedar Point Nation has dug up some blueprints filed by the park for a project that explains why they needed to get rid of it. Take a look at this:
Screenshot 2022-07-03 at 5.55.19 AM.png

This is the blueprint for a two-story pavilion with a restaurant on each floor and an outdoor patio.According to a permit filed on April 6, it will be known as the Grand Pavilion and is slated to reside in Wicked Twister's former plot in 2023. Construction began in June, and is progressing smoothly, as shown by this photo from Cedar Point Nation's Facebook:

What's Cedar Point building?

Once this building is complete, also expect to see the Ferris wheel relocated elsewhere in the park so that the Pavilion has unobstructed views of the lake.

Now, perhaps the most intriguing part of this project is this poster on the construction wall:
May be an image of text that says 'TROIKA'

A Troika, as we all know, is a type of flat ride. Since the poster says more fun in 2023 and mentions the Troika, could we be seeing an additional flat ride in this area too? I think so, since the Extreme Sports Arena plot is next to Wicked Twister's old plot, and once the Pavilion is finished, that Arena plot will be wide open for development. But that's just my opinion. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on if we could be getting something to go with the Grand Pavilion, or if this will be the Roller Coast's only new addition in 2023.

Disclaimer: This post contains several pictures. You might want to scroll down if you are interested in just getting the meat and potatoes of this post.

It came as a big shock to me (and possibly several of you) when Cedar Point announced that they would be removing Wicked Twister last year. Well, Cedar Point Nation has dug up some blueprints filed by the park for a project that explains why they needed to get rid of it. Take a look at this:
View attachment 27221

This is the blueprint for a two-story pavilion with a restaurant on each floor and an outdoor patio.According to a permit filed on April 6, it will be known as the Grand Pavilion and is slated to reside in Wicked Twister's former plot in 2023. Construction began in June, and is progressing smoothly, as shown by this photo from Cedar Point Nation's Facebook:

What's Cedar Point building?'s Cedar Point building?

Once this building is complete, also expect to see the Ferris wheel relocated elsewhere in the park so that the Pavilion has unobstructed views of the lake.

Now, perhaps the most intriguing part of this project is this poster on the construction wall:
May be an image of text that says 'TROIKA''TROIKA'

A Troika, as we all know, is a type of flat ride. Since the poster says more fun in 2023 and mentions the Troika, could we be seeing an additional flat ride in this area too? I think so, since the Extreme Sports Arena plot is next to Wicked Twister's old plot, and once the Pavilion is finished, that Arena plot will be wide open for development. But that's just my opinion. I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on if we could be getting something to go with the Grand Pavilion, or if this will be the Roller Coast's only new addition in 2023.
I think the Troika is that flatride like Bad Apple at KD or Do-Si-Do at Carowinds. Not sure though. It would fit well at CP though.

I think the Troika is that flatride like Bad Apple at KD or Do-Si-Do at Carowinds. Not sure though. It would fit well at CP though.

You are correct. They already have a Troika. It's called Troika. It's pretty close to that location already anyways which is kinda strange that they'd be saying it's coming in 2023. Perhaps that's getting relocated too.

I'm all for this pavilion being built if this is real. Indoor seating is something CP needs more of. I like all of the attention the resort is doing to meld the park and the beach together as one big attraction.

For what it is worth, they have printed "troika" three times. So, maybe it is somehow related to the word's actual meaning and not the flat ride?

The other day I was watching Theme Park Prediction's recent Cedar Point 2023 video in which he speculated that there was more in the works for the Wicked Twister area of Cedar Point than the now widely-circulated Grand Pavilion restaurant plans would suggest. Though much of the video was, reasonably, purely speculative, I was quite intrigued by the fencing that has recently appeared around the area Cedar Point typically uses for track staging—seemingly in anticipation of something happening there soon.

With my curiosity piqued, I set out on an all-too-common research binge and I think I found something that hasn't been previously reported. According to official records I was able to obtain, Cedar Point has slated a very large area—much larger than the footprint of the already-leaked restaurant—for redevelopment sometime in the near future. A map showing the area in question can be found below.

CedarPointBoardwalkRenoArea.jpg

From what I understand of the records I've reviewed, the area outlined in red is all expected to see some sort of notable land disturbance—think substantial, underground infrastructure-type work at an absolute minimum. Though it's still anyone's guess as per what Cedar Point is plotting for this plot, the full extent of the project area paints a pretty dramatic picture in my assessment. In addition to the already-known Grand Pavilion dining facility, I can easily imagine anything from a small to medium-sized coaster, a flat ride package, and/or a significant Carowinds Crossroads/Jungle X-Pedition-style comprehensive area retheme happening here.

To keep in mind that the documents I have don't give any indication regarding the timeline for this work. It all could be planned to be completed for the 2023 season, but this could very well also be a larger, multi-year overhaul project involving some additions (like the Grand Pavilion) for 2023 with more planned to follow in subsequent seasons.

And before I close, yes, the project name specifically identifies it as a "boardwalk" renovation project. 👀

There is something I’d like to point out…

one.click.gang on insta leaked what appears to be shipping documents, showing the arrival of Mack track pieces from a port in LA.
It appears that the destination listed was CP.
The delivery was listed as “partial delivery for amusement attraction” iirc.

There is something I’d like to point out…

one.click.gang on insta leaked what appears to be shipping documents, showing the arrival of Mack track pieces from a port in LA.
It appears that the destination listed was CP.
The delivery was listed as “partial delivery for amusement attraction” iirc.

I think the image in question may be faked. I have not be able to find any matching info from any of my go-to spots for shipping info and I can't imagine why track for Cedar Point from Europe would be delivered via the west coast.

I think the image in question may be faked. I have not be able to find any matching info from any of my go-to spots for shipping info and I can't imagine why track for Cedar Point from Europe would be delivered via the west coast.
Does seem odd. Possible a relocation if it is true.

think substantial, underground infrastructure-type work at an absolute minimum
Underground tunnels for that new dark ride that people have been demanding for the last decade? 😉

Honestly though, I personally am not going to get my hopes up for a major coaster. If anything we might see a smaller coaster -- like maybe a Gravity Group (or a GCI facsimile). For years I've had a theory that Cedar Point will very slowly detract from the high thrill coasters and position themselves more as a resort that has a huge focus on the beach and boardwalk areas and they'll continually work to improve Kings Island's thrill coaster selection and make that the thrill park. This isn't something that's going to happen over night (we're talking many years) but it seems like everytime something happens at the two parks it lends it's self to that. It's been mentioned here by myself and others that Cedar Point's biggest problem with family resort is a severe lack of options for anyone between 36" and 48" and I think they are going to have to fill this gap which is why I would expect something that could have a height requirement of between 39" and 42". The last point I want to make is that this area is absolutely crucial for a beach to amusement park interface because of it's proximity to the beach, park entrance, start of the boardwalk, and the parking areas. Even long before there was a major push to do anything with the beach they cited the views of the beach as a major reason for getting rid of Disaster Transport.

With all of that being said, I think there is something special about a coaster on the beach so I really could see them filling a few voids here but my money is going to go on the mild, family oriented, coaster with a low height requirement.

Reactions: Coasternerd
So, maybe it is somehow related to the word's actual meaning and not the flat ride?
I looked up what troika means, and it seems to refer to a group of three people or horses. Could that mean Cedar Point will get three additions to their Boardwalk section next year as part of their renovation project? The Grand Pavilion is one, but that will occupy a relatively small plot of land, leaving the door open for a couple more attractions nearby, yeah? Potentially they could build something in the area previously occupied by the old stadium.

I looked up what troika means, and it seems to refer to a group of three people or horses. Could that mean Cedar Point will get three additions to their Boardwalk section next year as part of their renovation project? The Grand Pavilion is one, but that will occupy a relatively small plot of land, leaving the door open for a couple more attractions nearby, yeah? Potentially they could build something in the area previously occupied by the old stadium.
It’s also Russian in origin

Could it be something for frontier town? Since that’s the only place I can think of three people, or horses
(Chess, digger, and blackjack, and also maverick)

Or maybe, just maybe, they really do mean by "Fun joins Troika" that they're building something new RIGHT BESIDE THE FRIGGIN' TROIKA THEY ALREADY HAVE, LITERALLY NAMED TROIKA????? Nah. I'm sure it's three Russian horses in a complete different area of the park. That makes a lot more sense.
I was just thinking about a possible other thing jeez

Something I found interesting is they appear to have moved the Power Tower East Webcam as of yesterday. Previously, you could get construction updates for the Grand Pavilion by watching it, but now they have it pointed at Rougarou.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad