Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

belsaas

Professional Shitposter
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Last edited:

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Looks like just Kings Island Cedar Point and Kd both still have the old rules posted. Have not checked other sites.

Mar 18, 2017
This sucks. Why would it be fantastic news? How does it affect you if you don't smoke or vape?

Anyone really think that Disney did it to improve health? They realized banning smoking would sell more tickets than they would lose.

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
This sucks. Why would it be fantastic news? How does it affect you if you don't smoke or vape?

Anyone really think that Disney did it to improve health? They realized banning smoking would sell more tickets than they would lose.

I hate the smell of tobacco, and I’m always forced to hold my breath when I walk past a smoking area. Plus, the smoke from smoking areas easily wafts into nearby paths, benches, patios, and dining areas, ruining the park experience for a sizable radius beyond the space itself. I’m really excited about this change.

I don’t think there’s any pretense about this being done to improve health. But if CF decided they’d make more people happy and make more money by pushing that nasty habit outside the park, that’s a win for its business and for a lot of guests.

That said, people smoking outside of the smoking areas at KD is already a minor issue. Employees have been able to solve it relatively quickly by saying “you can do that in a designated smoking area just X feet away.” I feel like people will put up a much bigger stink if they have to walk all the way to outside the entrance to smoke.

Reactions: Thomas and bill s

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
It'd be really cool to hear a smoker's quitting story include 'I knew I hit bottom when I couldn't enjoy a day with my son/daughter/husband/wife/so/friend/etc riding rides at the theme park without stopping to leave the park to smoke - that's when I knew I had to quit'.

Sep 29, 2009
Could this also be part of trying to cut back on guests in the park, while allowing more paying customers to come in (maybe due to COVID)?

Kings Dominion prohibits reentry on some high attendance days, especially during Halloween Haunt. What happens if a smoker leaves on a day like that and can’t re-enter the park?

Reactions: bill s
Mar 18, 2017
I still think that smokers obeying the rules cause less offensive smell than many other sources: trash, sewage, diesel (my nemesis), BO, chlorine, food, go carts and other engine-powered rides such as Knoebel's flyers. Perceptions. A ban does diminish the experience for some.

Apr 16, 2017

You know why this is fantastic news? Because it is another step for our society in the direction we are headed. Traditional smoking is dying out. People have realized the health hazards associated with smoking and have opted to not risk it. Vaping and using E-cigs were only made popular because it was seen as an easy way to stop smoking. However, the hipsters got fascinated by the large smoke clouds and flavors that they could use. Despite that, the only kind of smoking that is really sticking around is smoking marijuana. But, getting back to my point, our society is becoming more and more health conscious. It started with limiting where people could smoke, down to designated areas, and now being prohibited. This is just another step that shows our society is trying to be more concerned about its health.

Smoking has massive effects on non-smokers. As someone who is a friend of a smoker, I have to endure second-hand smoke more than I want to. Personally, I hate it. I dislike the smell and I am concerned about what health effects it might have on me in the long run. These issues carry on to the designated smoking areas and their radius within a park. The smoke doesn't just waft away. The way some designated areas were designed or placed, the smoke just traveled into non-smoking areas forcing guests to breathe in harmful second-hand smoke that they would rather not want. It truly is disgusting not to mention the third-hand smoke where the smoke sticks to objects that you touch. These are serious health concerns for some people.

Disney likely didn't remove the designated areas for health, but they didn't remove them to make money. Do you really think people buy tickets based on if there is a designated area to smoke or not? Sure, there may be a few who will stop visiting, but overall I believe the policy change has a very negligible effect on ticket sales. Disney likely prohibited smoking for the comfort and safety of everyone.

I will also note that some companies offer health initiatives to employees such as quitting smoking will be rewarded in some fashion. Perhaps Disney does care about health and offers such an option of employees and wanted to extend the branch of health to guests.

I still think that smokers obeying the rules cause less offensive smell than many other sources: trash, sewage, diesel (my nemesis), BO, chlorine, food, go carts and other engine-powered rides such as Knoebel's flyers. Perceptions. A ban does diminish the experience for some.

As I said above, it is not just about an offensive smell. You do realize that within that smell are chemicals that can harm a person? The same concept of how this current virus pandemic spreads is similar to smoking. There are particles in the air you breathe. If you can smell smoke, you are also inhaling the chemical particles of that smoke which can be harmful to your health. It is about health and comfort.

Sep 29, 2009
FWIW, I’m not a smoker personally, and I also find certain smoking areas in the park unbearable, but I‘m still curious about how this rule will be enforced during Halloween Haunt.

Does anyone know why they prohibit reentry during Haunt in the first place? Maybe that could provide some insight for how they plan to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
FWIW, I’m not a smoker personally, and I also find certain smoking areas in the park unbearable, but I‘m still curious about how this rule will be enforced during Halloween Haunt.

Does anyone know why they prohibit reentry during Haunt in the first place? Maybe that could provide some insight for how they plan to resolve the issue.

My understanding is they banned it because they were having issues with people drinking in the parking lot and then trying to reenter dunk. Not sure if that is correct or not but that is what I have heard a number of times. As far as I can tell it's not banned in all parks yet just King's Island as several other parks still have designated smoking area's listed so this might be a test case to see how it works.

Aug 1, 2010
Seven Pines, Virginia
FWIW, I’m not a smoker personally, and I also find certain smoking areas in the park unbearable. Still, I’m curious about how this rule will be play out Halloween Haunt. It seems like it could be a logistical nightmare for everybody (including smokers and employees) to enforce this.

They can create a smokers corral. Many sports and entertainment venues have them. One exit is designated for smokers and it opens out to a fenced area reserved for smoking. If they leave that area then they won't be let back in. Typically the smoker corrals have only one entrance/exit.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Odd (in reference to @horsesboy's post), though it makes some kind of sense - curious if they remove smoking butt stations within the park if they're also going to remove signage since they still had signage up for drinking zones in various places during WinterFest this last year.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Odd (in reference to @horsesboy's post), though it makes some kind of sense - curious if they remove smoking butt stations within the park if they're also going to remove signage since they still had signage up for drinking zones in various places during WinterFest this last year.

designated smoking areas are still listed on Cedar Point's KD's and Carowind's websites I stopped checking after those 3

Mar 18, 2017
In a way, I can't believe I'm arguing for smoking. But when they take away something YOU like, don't expect me to sympathize. I find this willingness to use authority to your advantage concerning. Besides, haven't we had enough change lately?

At this moment, we can only hope this "problem" matters in in any way whatsoever. Smoking banned at .. closed park.

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
Nicotine addiction can cause serious withdrawals in a matter of a couple hours. Especially for those that use it heavily. Any park not having a place for those addicted to go, is paying customer abandonment in my opinion. The parks aren’t going to lose the business of people that ‘don’t like the smell’ while it is allowed. But parks WILL lose the business of addicts that are not allowed to smoke anywhere. (To put it simply)

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad