Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 9, 2013
OK, no comments. Let me just say that, once again, THIS IS MY FAVORITE MAZE. Not because of theming, or layout. This is actually a pedestrian maze.

No, this maze achieves greatness in a way that in my opinion no other maze at BG does -- by having a fully-staffed crew of dedicated haunt monsters who work their scary butts off to scare everybody who walks through their maze. No "get out". No quick pop outs and then dejectedly scampering away if the scare didn't work.

These guys try different things. They are persistant. They are energetic. I love you guys. Keep up the great work.

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
This maze definitely felt different this year than it did last year. Bonus points for making the maze seem longer and improving the atmosphere. The people in the "cages" and the guy stuck in the wall did fantastic jobs. You could easily tell the actors were working hard.

My biggest problem with this maze though is that I didn't get enough scares. Maybe I'm just being jaded or something, but it wasn't as scary as it's been in previous years. Plus there was no actor manning the doorway at the end of the maze. That guy usually got me every time.

Apr 21, 2012
I felt like it had changed a little bit this year. It felt...narrower. Luckily tonight it was raining/sprinkling a bit, so there were a lot of the demons from Demon Street in there as well, so there was an actor every couple of feet. It was an AMAZING experience, and one of the best I've had in that house.

Reactions: Kitty

netdvn

Team Instinct
Jan 12, 2012
in the rear
dvn225.deviantart.com
Went through the maze last night. It was far better than it was for opening weekend. The actors got me a few times and the guy in the doorway at the end of the maze is back. I guess it made up for not getting any scares last time.

- Definitely the Catacombs I remember from previous years.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So, we went through when it was still light outside, and predictably our main impression was that we couldn't see a thing. The actors were great, but I was completely lost the whole time. Next trip: sunglasses!

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
Walked right into Catacombs tonight a little after 9. It was really nice not to have to wait on the people in front of you to move to go through a house.

My friends also really enjoy Catacombs, it's their favorite because they really like how the costumes blend in with their surroundings.

Probably the best exterior of Catacombs over the last five years.
P1430485.jpg

P1430481.jpg

Reactions: Hoopla
Aug 25, 2012
Speaking of, whatever happened to all those statues? They had a ton a few years ago, and now they barely have any!

Reactions: Preston
Dec 23, 2011
I want to say they put a lot of them into the actual maze, moved some around and what not. I would venture to say most probably stayed in storage though.

Reactions: Hoopla
Hoopla said:
Speaking of, whatever happened to all those statues? They had a ton a few years ago, and now they barely have any!

Two of the actual statues are out out wicked wood's are the one's that are by Catacombs entrance, Ive seen about five of the other statue's in the maze but have no purpose inside if it's dark. When preparing for Howl-O-Scream Busch Garden's Facebook released a "Sneak Peak" one photo have the statue's lying on it's side with one up close of the photo. infact here it is.
(Click upon Image)

Reactions: CastleOSullivan
Sep 29, 2009
PR is correct. Almost all of the statues that were holding lanterns were put in the maze. The pirate skeleton from the old scarezone, Piratical Purgatory, was reused on the bridge facade for CTC. If I'm not forgetting anything, the lantern holding skeletons were originally in front of Das Festhaus. Those creepy statues from Wicked Woods were made using the same casts that are used for the ghosts. Catacombs has essentially become a big conglomeration of all of Howl-O-Scream's best past houses.

To be exact the park purchased them statue's in 2006 for original use in Wicked Wood's in Festa and England, It's amazing they are eight year's old and the park has kept them that long, I hope all of them will be put out for some type of maze... It gave Catacombs a level of Creepiness before entering.

Reactions: deacfan31

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
So I'm wondering...

If the Three Musketeers evening show is going into the Royal Palace Theater, and should be running during the summer.

Does that mean that Catacombs could finally be in its last year? The penguins aren't returning this year for CT, from what we've seen so far. and Catacombs is left up all year to my understanding. And they just cover up Catacombs for the penguins. So that leads me to wonder if we're finally going to drop Catacombs next year.

I'm sure its entirely possible that Catacombs will be returning next year, since they set up and take down at least one house every year. But, part of the plus with Catacombs is that it's just sitting there all year. Much like Bitten and Deadline.

idk, it was just something that crossed my mind today.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad