Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 1, 2010
NC
Not Carowinds, per se. But if any of you have ever checked out the Carowinds fan-site CarowindsConnection, they are ending after 18 years. Good information, updates, photos, and a great relationship with the park ends this December.

Per their post, "Over 1,100 people have posted on this site over the past 17+ years, writing over 100,000 posts. The forums will remain active until the end of December of this year. From that point they will be locked to new posts and will be available as a read-only archive until May 2021. At some point in May the website will go offline for good."

In an odd move, the admin are not going to let someone else take over the site. A huge loss of photos and information.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
In an odd move, the admin are not going to let someone else take over the site. A huge loss of photos and information.

I assume people have tried to convince them to hand it off to someone else, yeah?

I’m not saying ParkFans is interested, but I’m certainly not saying we wouldn’t be either. The archive of posts and photos in particular has a ton of value to the community. There’s a good chance ParkFans could at least keep that online for posterity if they’d be willing to hand it off...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
NC
Sorry, we were at Carowinds today. More on that later. They said straight out that a take over was a non-starter. Lots of mixed reactions about that. The reasons weren't the best, as I assume you've read by now. The site's server and infrastructure was one. Something ParkFans has easily updated here.

They DID NOT say anything about a static shot of it, however. Great idea!! Hope they bite. News, comments, and a huge cache of photos all have great historical value, in my opinion. Things going up and things being torn down alone are priceless.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
Is the import capability provided by this site's software not an option?

XenForo Importing

We definitely have the technical capability to assimilate their forum if Carowinds Connection's owners were on board, but I believe the ParkFans admins are in agreement that we do not want to do that. Carowinds Connection was a thing all its own and the work of its owners and members deserves to be immortalized in that form. We're not interested in trying to resuscitate Carowinds Connection. Its owners made it clear that they believe it's time for it to die. I respect that. We just want to make sure the nearly two decades of work the site's staff and members poured into it can live on for years to come.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
We definitely have the technical capability to assimilate their forum if Carowinds Connection's owners were on board, but I believe the ParkFans admins are in agreement that we do not want to do that. Carowinds Connection was a thing all its own and the work of its owners and members deserves to be immortalized in that form. We're not interested in trying to resuscitate Carowinds Connection. Its owners made it clear that they believe it's time for it to die. I respect that. We just want to make sure the nearly two decades of work the site's staff and members poured into it can live on for years to come.
I get that it’s their site but I’m pretty torn up about this. I spoke with the owner and he’s a nice dude. One of the guys running it with him tragically died earlier this year and he was the one practically ”keeping the lights on” these past few years according to a forum post. I am just really sad and frustrated that the site can not be continued under new leadership. I’d pay money for the site. You folks sound like you understand tech stuff.

Carowinds connection has been a huge part of my life and being able to talk about our park on our special little club was truly special. Reddit and Facebook simply can’t replace something like that.

Sorry if I sound like a miserable person but this really shook me enough to make an account and say that. I was so looking forward to the world going back to normal and posting again. The admins may want to move on but lots of younger users like myself dont want to move on. We want to keep their amazing forum alive

Apr 1, 2010
NC
Continuation would be better. But what would be so wrong with just even preserving it? Why is he against that? This forum could preserve all of the information and photos that exists there. If the owner doesn't want it to continue, fine. Selfish and confusing, but whatever. Can we at least preserve what was? What would be so bad about that? It would even serve to honor and commemorate Wormy's memory and words. Now his, and years of everyone else's, contribution is gone forever. That is not okay and, to me, is not up to one singular person like this. Sorry about the grammar violations, @Thomas. Also in an emotional rant here.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Not having made the trip south prior to 2019 I was not familiar with the site but reading through what is there I am very impressed. Reading some of the stuff and seeing how personal it was I agree with the logic of not taking it over even if that were an option which it doesn't sound like it. But if possible finding some way to preserve the history seem like it would also be a fitting memorial to those that were involved and are gone.

Jan 5, 2021
Not having made the trip south prior to 2019 I was not familiar with the site but reading through what is there I am very impressed. Reading some of the stuff and seeing how personal it was I agree with the logic of not taking it over even if that were an option which it doesn't sound like it. But if possible finding some way to preserve the history seem like it would also be a fitting memorial to those that were involved and are gone.
I understand all that but personally I still think it should be continued under someone else. I’m a younger guy (26)and I have not moved on from Carowinds. All the admins that are living have currently moved away from North Carolina and the deaths of their friends have really shaken them up in my opinion(understandable). I don’t want you guys thinking they are selfish jerks because that simply is not the case. They are nice people.

Apparently from what I gather the site is a technical mess and was crashing a lot. And there is also quite a bit of personal information the owner has on the backend that he isn’t sure how to not give out if it was transferred to someone else. And he wasn’t sure would be a good candidate to transfer it to.

I do not know much about computers but I’d gladly pay to keep it up and running for a new generation of fans personally. It’s one of those things we’re I understand 100% why he did it. Friends deaths, the site traffic is really been declining since Fury 325 and the tech issues. But at the same time 18 years of hard work and a beautiful community... it crushes me to see this go out the door. Social media can never replace Carowinds connection. I actually teared up when I learned of it.

in my opinion a best case scenario aside from a change of hands would be a full archive of what we have now. And someone starting up a new forum

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I understand all that but personally I still think it should be continued under someone else. I’m a younger guy (26)and I have not moved on from Carowinds. All the admins that are living have currently moved away from North Carolina and the deaths of their friends have really shaken them up in my opinion(understandable). I don’t want you guys thinking they are selfish jerks because that simply is not the case. They are nice people.

Apparently from what I gather the site is a technical mess and was crashing a lot. And there is also quite a bit of personal information the owner has on the backend that he isn’t sure how to not give out if it was transferred to someone else. And he wasn’t sure would be a good candidate to transfer it to.

I do not know much about computers but I’d gladly pay to keep it up and running for a new generation of fans personally. It’s one of those things we’re I understand 100% why he did it. Friends deaths, the site traffic is really been declining since Fury 325 and the tech issues. But at the same time 18 years of hard work and a beautiful community... it crushes me to see this go out the door. Social media can never replace Carowinds connection. I actually teared up when I learned of it.

in my opinion a best case scenario aside from a change of hands would be a full archive of what we have now. And someone starting up a new forum
If you have a direct contact method maybe get in touch with @Zachary or @Gavin and see about getting a personal means of contact with them that you can pass on to him and see IF he is willing if they could help him work out the technical side of addressing his concerns. Both are great guys that I am sure would be willing to help.

In the mean time welcome and we all here hope you will find us as inviting and warm of a place as you did there. Hopefully this year will clear up and you will even be able to meet some of us in the park. We don't bite well I mean there was that one time with Thomas but that another story.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
@Fishels and I have been in contact—I really appreciate his help!

If anyone out there is a Carowinds local who still wants a dedicated Carowinds forum, please reach out.

We want to archive Carowinds Connection for posterity, but we're also concerned about the current Carowinds community. If there is anything ParkFans can do to promote or assist in the creation of a new home for the community, we would be happy to help!

Apr 1, 2010
NC
I'm 90 minutes "local" and on both forums. I never interacted in person with any of them after seeing how sicko all the BGW weirdos are. ??? JK, of course, but we wanted to be able to move through Carowinds easily since it was usually a day trip for us. Who needs another hanger-on like Zachary? But, I used to see them gather in groups all the time. So many knew each other, socialized, and still wanted that forum to continue. LIke BGW and BGWFans, we regularly saw CC members every trip. I don't know how to reach them without the forum. Unless I physically stalk them at the park and ask them about a new forum. Eh, what's a few more restraining orders for the collection? There was interest in a new forum, and mention of several members moving to Reddit, before the site locked down.

Reactions: Fishels
Apr 1, 2010
NC
I'm going to post this entire final remark, since the link will be dead past May 2021.

CarowindsConnection said:
Thank You #109543

By Jonathan - December 31st, 2020, 8:31 pm

• 17.5 years
  • 1,578 members
  • 3,887 topics
  • 106,035 posts
Those are the final numbers for Carowinds Connection. We tracked the construction of 5 roller coasters (Borg Assimilator/Nighthawk, Carolina Cobra/Flying Cobras, Intimidator, Fury 325, and Copperhead Strike). We also tracked the loss of 2 (Flying Super Saturator and Thunder Road). We saw the park change ownership from Paramount to Cedar Fair and grow from a modest regional park to one of the major players in American amusement parks.

Thanks to all of you for being a part of it over the years. And of course, most of all, thanks to Jay Miller, Max Cannon, Doug Robinson, and Rick Barber for running this site and keeping it going for many years longer than I ever imagined.

Before I flip the switch, I can't help but think of the members we lost, all of whom I came to know or know better because of this website. I knew Max Cannon before I started Carowinds Connection, but came to know him much better after I asked him to come on board as one of the original administrators in 2003. We lost Max in November 2014 but he was immortalized by the crew that built Fury 325 and I love knowing that his name is on the piece of track at the top of the lift. His death also sparked this website's finest moment: 52 people contributed $2,175 to help Carowinds Connection win the Fury 325 first rider auction in memory of Max. The first seat on the first train went out empty as a tribute to him, and the money was split between the Cam Newton Foundation, Catawba Valley Pride, American Diabetes Association, and National Kidney Foundation.

Howard Goldstein passed away in March 2016. In an extremely cruel twist he found out he had pancreatic cancer after feeling unwell at Fury 325 media day. I had only met Howard a couple of times before he got cancer, but we became unexpectedly close when he started spending extended periods of time in New York for treatment and we got to hang out several times, including an amazing day with his extended family at Coney Island.

Doug Robinson joined the site in 2008 and eventually became known here for his frequent Intimidator construction updates. It didn't take me long after meeting him to realize he would make a great admin for the site, but what I didn't know then was that he would also become a dear friend, and we only became closer after I moved to NYC. As you all know he died this past May, and the void he left behind has been incredibly hard for his friends, many of whom met him through here.

What I am most proud of as Carowinds Connection closes is the friendships and relationships that were formed here, which will continue long after the website is gone. So again, thank you all, and see you at the parks!

• Sad
Reactions: belsaas and Fishels
Jan 5, 2021
If you have a direct contact method maybe get in touch with @Zachary or @Gavin and see about getting a personal means of contact with them that you can pass on to him and see IF he is willing if they could help him work out the technical side of addressing his concerns. Both are great guys that I am sure would be willing to help.

In the mean time welcome and we all here hope you will find us as inviting and warm of a place as you did there. Hopefully this year will clear up and you will even be able to meet some of us in the park. We don't bite well I mean there was that one time with Thomas but that another story.
Hopefully so! The forum meant a lot to me since I have had health issues I haven’t been to Carowinds in 3 years Atleast. So it really kept the spirit and excitement alive for me somewhat. Even If nothing can be done I would enjoy meeting people who have a sense of community online and in the park. I’m still really looking forward to trying copperhead strike out. Never got to lol

Apr 1, 2010
NC
@Fishels and I have been in contact—I really appreciate his help!

If anyone out there is a Carowinds local who still wants a dedicated Carowinds forum, please reach out.

We want to archive Carowinds Connection for posterity, but we're also concerned about the current Carowinds community. If there is anything ParkFans can do to promote or assist in the creation of a new home for the community, we would be happy to help!

Has anyone had any success or received a reply from CC's admin? Everything there goes away around May.

Reactions: Fishels

Gavin

🟥🟧🟨🟩🟦🟪
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Skyland Estates, Virginia
Carowinds Connection is now hosted by us, and it'll remain permanently locked in an archival state. Me, @Zachary, and @Nicole are grateful for the opportunity to keep a part of the community from disappearing completely.

For those of you that previously had an account, all login information (passwords, emails, and IPs) and private messages have been removed prior to us receiving the site. Password resets are permanently disabled, and logins will not work.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, message the admins, or email us at admin@carowindsconnection.com

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Carowinds Connection is now hosted by us, and it'll remain permanently locked in an archival state. Me, @Zachary, and @Nicole are grateful for the opportunity to keep a part of the community from disappearing completely.

For those of you that previously had an account, all login information (passwords, emails, and IPs) and private messages have been removed prior to us receiving the site. Password resets are permanently disabled, and logins will not work.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, message the admins, or email us at admin@carowindsconnection.com
That is great news I wasn't formiliar with it till the end but there was so much great stuff there when I looked. I so happy to see that it was able to be saved. Thank you to everyone involved.

Jan 5, 2021
I can't thank you enough. I have tears in my eyes. Like for real.

Speechless. I just don't know what to say but thank you.

You have no idea what you’ve done for Carowinds fans and the history of the site. Everyone involved is a effing hero. Including the owner who let this happen. Thank you so much Jonathan(the owner)

Last edited:
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad