Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I would love it if, instead of modern pop music, the park played jazz music from the 1920's in Candy Apple Grove. Since the area is/was supposedly themed to the early 1900's, this music would be appropriate. Not only is it upbeat, but it would be a tremendous improvement in tying the theme and charm of the area together.

I'm thinking something like this:

Reactions: MAZ and Zachary
Here's a 1976 commercial about Candy Apple Grove. Not only do I love how the park advertised individually themed areas, but I also really, really love the campaign the park opened with: "Only Kings Dominion has five big worlds of fantasy!"

The things you can find exploring KDGY's Youtube channel...

Reactions: netdvn and Zachary
The mystery is solved! After ages of wondering what kind of music was originally played in Candy Apple Grove during the original owners' reign, I finally stumbled across this treasure-trove of footage from the Kings Dominion of yore.

Skip to the 9:10 mark in the video, and you'll clearly hear some jazzy ragtime music being played into the streets of Candy Apple Grove.

So there you have it, the original music played in the area. If today's Kings Dominion truly wants to bring Candy Apple Grove back to being a well-themed area, this music really needs to replace the current pop/rock music. The whimsical ragtime ditties could completely change the atmosphere of the area, which would in my opinion be for the better.

By the way, even if you don't care about the music, I highly recommend you take a look at that video. It's remarkable to see how different the park was back in the 90's. (Note the error in the video's title; it is titled "Paramount's Kings Dominion 1990" although at the time it was filmed Paramount did not own the park yet.)

My Aunt worked at Kings Dominion in the late 80's and early 90's she said the park was truly a dump back then. I think her last year was the year before Paramount bought the park.

Ah, look at the floral clock, completely missing the floral part.

I wish people would stop calling the Kings Dominion a "dump" without explaining exactly what "dump" means. I visited Kings Dominion every year since the early 1980s and there was never a time that I could have dismissed the entire park as a dump, even during the Paramount days when many of my favorite attractions and park features were being removed. I don't know how people can watch the video that Joe posted above and conclude that the park was a "dump". It's an unfair generalization, especially when it's based on hearsay.

I'm just quoting another person, I would never call KD a dump, especially when I've never visited the park during the time it was commonly referred to as one.

Reactions: Jonquil
I certainly never called it a dump. However in that time it was not as pleasant to be in then it is now. That may be partly due to the times, the Richmond area was not at its height then either.

I agree Joe. Ragtime and Jazz music from the 1890's-1930's is perfect for Candy Apple Grove, just like International Street's symphony music and Old Virginia' country music, music that fits the theme can give you a sense of atmosphere and it can make you feel like you've entered a different world.

I very much support these musical changes. My advise is, email the park with these suggestions. They have been more responsive in the last 2 years than ever before.

Reactions: Zachary
Serious question: is sending the park emails with suggestions like this a legitimate thing we should do? I know the park reps are extremely friendly, but I would hate to spam their work with a suggestion that may not go anywhere.

I wouldn't recommend it. SWP&E appreciates all of our thoughts but they don't use other peoples ideas as they consider it stealing, plus their mail is full of blackfish garbage so that might be why. :p As for CF, during the off season the parks are very busy so right now might not be the best time. Wait t'ill when the parks slow down and they have a chance to actual look it over and think.

Connor said:
I wouldn't recommend it. SWP&E appreciates all of our thoughts but they don't use other peoples ideas as they consider it stealing, plus their mail is full of blackfish garbage so that might be why.

Ummmm.... Wut?

Reactions: wombat96
Matthew said:
.... Wut?
Yeah, I got an email back from them after I submitted an idea for BGW. Back to Candy Apple Grove! Am I the only one that feels like the area around Rebel Yell's exit looks really bad? In my opinion it makes me feel like I'm in a parking lot with all of the cracked aggregate and zero shade. If the rest of CAG got renovations why can't this corner have a planter or two added?

Connor said:
Matthew said:
.... Wut?
Yeah, I got an email back from them after I submitted an idea for BGW. Back to Candy Apple Grove! Am I the only one that feels like the area around Rebel Yell's exit looks really bad? In my opinion it makes me feel like I'm in a parking lot with all of the cracked aggregate and zero shade. If the rest of CAG got renovations why can't this corner have a planter or two added?

Hate to derail this thread further, but did you get the E-mail where it told you your suggestion would be sent to the management team or something similar? Yeah, they have a list of copy and pasted answers they will send back to people who make suggestions. I've gotten every one, several different times. Anyways, let's not get any further off topic.

Also, Aggregate is at BGW, Asphault is at KD.

Joe said:
Serious question: is sending the park emails with suggestions like this a legitimate thing we should do? I know the park reps are extremely friendly, but I would hate to spam their work with a suggestion that may not go anywhere.
Yes Joe! Here is where you do it...https://www.kingsdominion.com/contact-us
Scroll to the bottom to write and send your comment. I have used this to make a suggestion before and received a sincere response pertaining to my suggestion. Matthew and Connor seem to be arguing about the BGW response to emails, not KD's. I encourage you to make the music suggestion. Just be classy about it. Give reasons why you wish they would use more properly themed music, and also mention that regardless of what music they play, you will still visit the park and enjoy yourself :)

Thanks Mazakman, I emailed them this morning. :D

Also, just saying, I could totally go for music like this, too.

Reactions: MAZ and wombat96
Main Street USA has one of my all-time favorite music soundtracks in a themepark! It just has such a energetic tone to it that gives you pep in your step to start your day. Similar to V1 Banbury loop. Back to the KD stuff. Is the rest of the asphalt getting torn up this year?

They responded back! :D

Kings Dominion Sales and Service said:
Hi Joe!

Thanks for your email! We sent this over to our maintenance group to see if this would be feasible. There is a good chance that some that some of the staff worked here when that music was featured :) Thank you for continuing to support us and we will see you soon!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad