Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 8, 2010
Charlottesville
Right now im working on making a Busch Gardens app for android phones that will have many different features. I am trying to make an interactive map that will have gps tracking using your phones gps and will alert you when you enter a new country and what there is to do once you enter. I think this would be nice for the first timers to Busch Gardens. There is also an app in the market(which is not my creation) called ride hopper. It shows the wait time for rides in the park. The effectiveness is limited by the amount of people who use it though. It would be a really useful planning tool for the day though imho... My app wont happen over night. But i would like to get it done before the 2011 season. If anyone has any ideas of what they would like to see, please post in here and let me know. If I use your idea i'll list your name in the credits! I don't want to steal ideas, but rather use good ideas and give credit where credit is due! I've been going to Busch Gardens since i was 4 with a season pass the whole time. I would just like to contribute and see how far this could go. Thanks!

Edit: I'm also trying to locate a high res map of the park. I just need something that you can see pathways clearly. I can add in what needs to be added. But a basic layout would be great.

RE: Busch Gardens interactive map for android?

I've been hoping that the park would create an iPhone app with a map and what have you, it's a good idea for sure. I'll think about some things I'd like to see in an app like that and post them on here.

How high res are you looking for? Zooming way in on the map? Here's a map I have, but it may become obsolete depending on how the map changes for 2011.

Attachments

• bgw2010mapfinal.png
    bgw2010mapfinal.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
RE: Busch Gardens interactive map for android?

Yeah i have been too, but for android. I am going to work on an app for android now because I myself have a few android phones plus alot of friends/family do as well. This will make it easier for testing and what not. But if i can master it enough and gain enough support i will work on an iphone app that would relate. And this years map will work for now, i just need to get the basic layout and idea. Then when the new map comes out i can just use that. I would just need to transfer over the image of the map for the most part. But yes, any ideas please post them here. I will see what I can do. Ive got plenty brewing but every new idea helps.

I think ive found a decent map. I just need a map that wont be blurry when zoomed in to see the pathways and somewhat general locations of the rides. I need to go to the park and mark exact locations of the rides to help make it as precise as possible. If only street view would work for the Busch Gardens area... that would be a great layout to integrate.

Because I tend to be the one breaking the bad news most of the time lately, I'll say that publishing that Android (and/or iPhone) app would probably be a bad idea considering the official one will be launched early next year (for all parks). You'd legally not be able to use trademarked or copyrighted information, logos or pictures in your application so it would have to be a mainly text-based program filled with just basic information of the park.

Again, I'm sorry to burst the bubble here, but I didn't want you going through all this effort then have it removed from the app markets(s) in the near future. By the way, welcome to the forums!

LoveDoc143 said:
Because I tend to be the one breaking the bad news most of the time lately, I'll say that publishing that Android (and/or iPhone) app would probably be a bad idea considering the official one will be launched early next year (for all parks). You'd legally not be able to use trademarked or copyrighted information, logos or pictures in your application so it would have to be a mainly text-based program filled with just basic information of the park.

Again, I'm sorry to burst the bubble here, but I didn't want you going through all this effort then have it removed from the app markets(s) in the near future. By the way, welcome to the forums!

YOURE BACK!!

I can wait for the official!
I wonder what all would be contained in it.
Weather, wait times, show times?

I had a weird feeling that was going to happen haha but oh well. I didnt really do much on it yet anyway. Hopefully they do it right though. I would hate to see them screw it up. But we shall see. Are they going to use phones or a gps that people who dont have access to a smart phone could rent? Might be a good idea on their part to do that.

KTM, if you're really in for making this a project, I say go for it. I'd just advise you to not distribute the program with intent to make a profit. Making the app for yourself (and keeping it within close quarters) would be fine,but once you put it out for public consumption, it could become an issue. If you were to charge for the app, forget it. I promise it'll be removed from any app store very quickly.

Remember, making the program would be great practice for future projects! It'll be fun for you and you'd get to work on something that you enjoy doing. Have at it and show us what you're doing! I'm sure us Android users would love to see what you'll come up with!

Well ive been working on this to test ideas i plan on using for other projects. I think ill put it on the market for free just to see what kind of interest i can gather from it. But if there is anyone on here willing to test it, i can post up a download once i finish it. Im half way done with this for a first release. Ill just need to get some testers to make sure there arent any bugs, ive tested what i have so far on 2 very different phones, and have had no issues.

and this is for android devices, I believe it will work best on phones with android 2.1 and higher on it, but if you have a lower version of android on it your more than welcome to test it, just dont have high expectations, i have no idea how itll work.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad