Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Depeche Mode?

LOL

I'd love for them to perform at the park but I don't ever see it happening.

Some reasons why...

1. BGW doesn't have a venue big enough to host them.

2. The band only plays large arenas/amphitheaters in select major markets in North America (In Europe they regularly sellout major soccer stadiums).  The only small venues they play at are in Las Vegas & Atlantic City casino theaters where they can up-charge an arm and a leg for ticket prices in those places.

3. And because of reason 2, the park couldn't afford to pay them.  On their last tour, DM played two sold out shows in LA at the Staples Center and grossed over $4 million in ticket sales.  They sold out the Nissan Pavillion in Manassas (a 25,000 seat venue) and grossed close to $1 million in ticket sales there.  They won't play for pennies at BGW.
 
I saw exactly 3 bands I would watch...
Grand Funk Railroad - not likely at BGW
Depeche Mode - Not going to happen for all the reasons Unagi said
Tears for Fears - Seems unlikely

The rest of the bands range from "who is that," to "not for world peace," to "RUN AWAY", to "why is that genre a thing?"
 
Cheap Trick kills it live. Or at least used to. Tears for Fears are the only band on there I haven't seen that I think I'd want to see.



Heh. I opened for Fitz and the Tantrums in 2010. I never would have guessed they were going to blow up.
 
So sick. Off that list there are some sick ones but The Cranberries would be insane
 
UncleDuncan said:
Tears for Fears are the only band on there I haven't seen that I think I'd want to see.

Saw them a few years ago at the NorVa and they still sound amazing. Their voices haven't aged a bit. The only thing noticeable was Roland Orzabal doesn't use his falsetto like he did back in the day, but that really only affected one song for me (Pale Shelter). If you get a chance to, definitely go see them!
 
UncleDuncan said:
Cheap Trick kills it live. Or at least used to. Tears for Fears are the only band on there I haven't seen that I think I'd want to see.



Heh. I opened for Fitz and the Tantrums in 2010. I never would have guessed they were going to blow up.

I saw Cheap Trick live a few weeks ago, they were still pretty good.

Actually a few of the bands on the list performed in the area recently. I wonder if they were just added to fill the list or if it actually impacts the results they are looking for.
 
Does anyone know when was Willie Nelson's last performance at BGT? He is one of few live/living performers that I would actually like to see, except he was one of the first big artists to denounce SeaWorld. I guess the pressure from some of his fans got to him fast. That, and he has always been a fan of activism himself.

I would also love to see some type of folk music. If not American, maybe Celtic music. I can't think of many other European groups of music that would go over well here. I like The Cranberries, but I was hoping for something more traditional (The Corrs, Celtic Woman, Clannad, etc.)
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor
Username said:
UncleDuncan said:
Cheap Trick kills it live. Or at least used to. Tears for Fears are the only band on there I haven't seen that I think I'd want to see.



Heh. I opened for Fitz and the Tantrums in 2010. I never would have guessed they were going to blow up.

I saw Cheap Trick live a few weeks ago, they were still pretty good.

Actually a few of the bands on the list performed in the area recently.  I wonder if they were just added to fill the list or if it actually impacts the results they are looking for.

If you want to see the guys from Cheap Trick having some fun go to Live at Daryl's House (Link) as he has them as his guest performers. They had a good time, but most of his guests do.
 
IMHO, if BGW doesn't move the concerts back to Festhaus Park instead of the standing in line at 9am for a 11am ticket distro most if not all of these A-List bands will turn down BGW for A. Money and B. venue not large enough.

Understandable that bringing in temp staging/lighting is expensive compared to the amphitheater. But BGW could build a semi-permanent setup that's reconfigurable for Concerts/HOS/Etc. or convert the old Drachen Fire building for this purpose and move Bitten.

With the $175m capitol outlay and the reduced dividend savings yearly this is doable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor
The list looks very diverse. Maybe they want to see which direction to choose? or maybe they want to offer a little of different genres and not cater to just one crowd?
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor
CastleOSullivan said:
Does anyone know when was Willie Nelson's last performance at BGT? He is one of few live/living performers that I would actually like to see, except he was one of the first big artists to denounce SeaWorld. I guess the pressure from some of his fans got to him fast. That, and he has always been a fan of activism himself.

I would also love to see some type of folk music. If not American, maybe Celtic music. I can't think of many other European groups of music that would go over well here. I like The Cranberries, but I was hoping for something more traditional (The Corrs, Celtic Woman, Clannad, etc.)

Willie? Saw him last month at "Farm Aid 31" in Bristow, VA (with Neil Young, Dave Matthews, John Mellencamp) it was insane. 20,000 people, sold out. Doubt Willie would be able to do a BG show with his following. And yeah, the SeaWorld thing, and Willie is a huge activist, not really just a fan.

Cranberries rule.


Would love to see Brand New.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SWStevo and Merboy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad