Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is indeed a tribute, I think Bauman’s Bar would hit closer to home and sound a bit more legit. Bob’s Bar sounds like a placeholder name, which maybe it is 😂 Regardless, very exciting to see this and the darkastle bar - two new adult things that aren’t coasters!

Still hoping for a 2024 “coffee shop” in an Amsterdam expansion lol

So incredibly excited about the buzz I'm hearing around this project! What a cool concept!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

I'm so excited this finally leaked. I've been sitting on this for far too long! It's going to be really cool.

I will say that I don't know that Bob's Bar will be the final or if it's just a placeholder.

On the actual project, it's supposed to feel like a speakeasy that's secluded and exclusive. There's a decent chance that they will try to limit the number of people inside at any given time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does a speakeasy have to do with Rhinefeld? Speakeasies are historically an American concept and today are almost exclusively associated with the American prohibition era. Germany, with its prevalent beer culture and history, never had prohibition and speakeasies were never a thing in Germany. In fact, a Google search for German speakeasies returns literally nothing related to an actual speakeasy in Germany, past or present.

It's a cool concept in itself, but how does it make any sense in Rhinefeld? Are we getting a saloon in San Marco next?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does a speakeasy have to do with Rhinefeld? Speakeasies are historically an American concept and today are almost exclusively associated with the American prohibition era. Germany, with its prevalent beer culture and history, never had prohibition and speakeasies were never a thing in Germany. In fact, a Google search for German speakeasies returns literally nothing related to an actual speakeasy in Germany, past or present.

It's a cool concept in itself, but how does it make any sense in Rhinefeld? Are we getting a saloon in San Marco next?

I actually did some googling on this and it seems like there was a surprisingly robust prohibition movement in parts of Germany in the early 20th century. From what I can tell few laws were enacted as a result, but the sentiment was there.

In general though, a blanket ban on alcohol sales is not a requirement to have a speakeasy-esque secret bar. I'm sure all manner of secret societies, social clubs, and the like have operated underground bars in secret all over the world for ages whether the reason to stay hidden was for the alcohol or the meetings themselves.

Also, from what I've read, speakeasies—even known by that term—were a thing in Europe and Australia before prohibition ever hit the US. Even using that word to describe it may not be historically off-base.

I do agree with your broad concern about branding though. I could see where things could go sideways really quickly in the wrong hands.

I actually did some googling on this and it seems like there was a surprisingly robust prohibition movement in parts of Germany in the early 20th century. From what I can tell few laws were enacted as a result, but the sentiment was there.

In general though, a blanket ban on alcohol sales is not a requirement to have a speakeasy-esque secret bar. I'm sure all manner of secret societies, social clubs, and the like have operated underground bars in secret all over the world for ages whether the reason to stay hidden was for the alcohol or the meetings themselves.

Also, from what I've read, speakeasies—even known by that term—were a thing in Europe and Australia before prohibition ever hit the US. Even using that word to describe it may not be historically off-base.

I do agree with your broad concern about branding though. I could see where things could go sideways really quickly in the wrong hands.
German "speakeasy's" were more like "hidden bars".

I'm not sure how many people on here have been to these places:
We picture speakeasies as something like what Richmond has in Grandstaff and Stein Booksellers. A front that looks like a book store. Get in, give a password, they open a trick door to a pathway to get you in.

Most places in Germany (or even Europe) have a typically non-descript door that you open into a basement bar. What comes to mind for me is the Phyrst in State College Pa. It's "front" is literally a sign that says Physt and a door to a basement, but once you are down there it's a decent size bar. It's the basement of a sub shop that's owned by the same people.

I think it's a cool concept, but I'm meh on it because its going to become extremely overcrowded, and I wouldn't be shocked if they give up a fake front or something like that after a few years because of how popular it gets. I think this should be a member exclusive thing.

Wow, I did not know that — thanks for sharing that history! Definitely makes more sense now.

Maybe the “speakeasy” style of the new bar will be less of the 1920s American joint I have in my head, and will be more of just an understated, somewhat “exclusive”-feeling bar. If that’s the case, I’m excited for it.

Reactions: Zachary
Judging by what @BGWnut said, maybe it is? Hell, I'd even be onboard with like a new, higher tier Stein Club where you pay yearly dues to access the place at all.
I wanted to suggest that but it seems suggesting paying more is very unpopular. Hell, I would pay more to belong and more to have an exclusive sit down full service restaurant within the park. Having something on the menu that can rival (to me) the best (to me) restaurant within a park of Mythos. Like how cool would a secret door member only bar on the ground floor with a staircase to an upstairs even more secret restaurant be?

I was curious too, and apparently speakeasies are a thing now in Europe, as well. I found a few that are currently open in Berlin.

Maybe @Nibbins has additional insight into speakeasies in Germany past and present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad