Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 11, 2011
Williamsburg
This is definitely not very exciting news compared to the 2015 attraction, but still news nonetheless. I was messing around on the JCC Planning CaseTrak site taking a look at the various applications submitted to the county and found a Site Plan Amendment for the "removal and replacement of the existing floating bridge over the Rhine River between Scotland and Germany" a.k.a. the wooden bridge that is practically in the Rhine River. A screenshot of the application is attached. It looks like the amendment is approved and I'm guessing they will do the construction over the off-season.

Attachments

• CaseTrak-Case Details.png
    CaseTrak-Case Details.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 86

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
RE: Bridge Replacement between Scotland and Germany

Hopefully after CT.

I wonder if they will replace it with another floating bridge, or if they plan to put in something entirely different. They clearly had safety concerns with the original design.

Jul 22, 2010
RE: Bridge Replacement Between Scotland and Germany

Nic said:
Hopefully after CT.

I wonder if they will replace it with another floating bridge, or if they plan to put in something entirely different. They clearly had safety concerns with the original design.

Would not shock me if cardiac canyon goes to the wayside. Liability and lazy people.

Feb 9, 2013

Atlantis said:
Would not shock me if cardiac canyon goes to the wayside. Liability and lazy people.

I wouldn't hope too much for this because 1) They filed a permit to replace the floating bridge which is only the wooden area between the Rhine River cruise and LNM, no farther. & 2) They would've filed a permit to replace the stairs, walkways, and the RRC loading platform if they were going to remove the whole thing, but they only filed one to replace the floating bridge. So all you're looking at right now is a new wooden area, no more, no less.

Reactions: Party Rocker
May 11, 2011
Williamsburg

^Plus one set of the JCC ERP (Engineering and Resource Protection) review comments stated "... specifically, describe the route(s) that will be used for removal AND replacement of original floating bridge." That definitely implies that it will be used as a pathway. Not to mention the project name that was sumbitted to the county is "Busch Gardens Floating Bridge Replacement".

Sep 10, 2012
Nearby

The floating bridge isn't considered a permanent structure (like a building, road, ride, etc,) right? Why do you need to file for a permit to remove/replace it? I know nothing of these matters; be kind. :cool:

Aug 31, 2012
Harrisonburg, VA

chickenking said:
The floating bridge isn't considered a permanent structure (like a building, road, ride, etc,) right? Why do you need to file for a permit to remove/replace it? I know nothing of these matters; be kind. :cool:

I am no where employed/versed in zoning laws & building permits at all. My best guess is that because it is a load bearing structure, even though it's not a permanent structure it needs some sort of permissions and inspections because it does bear the weight of people. That would also be my guess why they put the "cattle chutes" on the existing bridge. It probably wasn't up to the current code for load bearing capacity.

Just my thoughts.

May 11, 2011
Williamsburg

^I'd have to guess that too. Even if that isn't the case, since they are building a structure of any kind on their property they need to file for a permit. I think it's crazy sometimes the things you need to file for. For instance, I had to obtain a building permit for my Eagle Project in which I built two small foot-bridges (max of 30' in length and only about 6" off the ground). I also was working with a Civil Engineer on the project, so he was used to the filing process.

Dec 23, 2011

You would be surprised at what permits are required to be filed.

Even the very first glow stand had a building permit.

Reactions: The Tomato

Ziva

fancy cafe latte
May 30, 2011

chickenking said:

James City County also has very, very strict building and zoning rules. Tourism rules Williamsburg, and Colonial Williamsburg rules tourism. In order to do pretty much anything in JCC you have to file a permit.

Aug 31, 2013

Well, this is a change that probably wont be too worried about. I'm the new bridge will look new and more pretty :p also, can they repaint those fake pelicans and birds out in the "river"

Reactions: Kitty and Planeteer

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
RE: Floating Bridge Replacement Between Heatherdowns & Rhinefeld

I've been told that the replacement floating bridge will be the same width as the current one (minus the barriers of course) and will feature two wider, diamond-shaped observation areas. Additionally, to keep with the park's ongoing effort to replace all of their incandescent lighting, the bridge will be lit entirely by LEDs. From what I've heard, it should look quite nice.

Jul 19, 2010

Any word on if the bridge or its replacement will be open for CT?

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia

jedijunky said:
Any word on if the bridge or its replacement will be open for CT?

No, work hasn't started yet and the path isn't shown on the Christmas Town map. At the very most, we may see the Rhine River without the bridge which, to be perfectly honest, would be very cool.

Feb 9, 2013

Hopefully they will keep the flagpoles on the side. Those really keep that bridge beautiful.

Reactions: Mushroom
Aug 14, 2010

Zachary said:
No, work hasn't started yet and the path isn't shown on the Christmas Town map. At the very most, we may see the Rhine River without the bridge which, to be perfectly honest, would be very cool.

That would be quite Jarring as well.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad