Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 30, 2010
Not really sure where to put this as it's really a multipark discussion. But today Blackstone finally sold their 50% share of Universal for $1,025,000,000.

One interesting quote from Blackstone's Steve Burke:
The acquisition consolidates our ownership and confirms our long-term commitment to Universal Orlando and the theme park business.

So what do you guys think about them investing some of that back into the Seaworld Parks? Is this all profit for shareholders or do you think this could be used to build up the parks?

They also own Merlin which runs Alton Towers and Thorpe. Maybe they'll throw some money their way as well?

I for one hope they invest it slowly to the parks and allow them to make yearly improvements. I also hope they use it to invest in removing Europe in the Air.

pandorazboxx said:
I also hope they use it to invest in removing Europe in the Air.

EiTA is staying put unfortunately.

Gotta have something at the park for the old ladies to ride!

Yes, because a nauseating simulated trip to Europe that takes place inside a cave at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is exactly what my grandmother wants to experience.

Swiftman said:
Yes, because a nauseating simulated trip to Europe that takes place inside a cave at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is exactly what my grandmother wants to experience.

Bwahaha! I was thinking the same thing, but I've pretty sarcastic lately and held my tongue. Good job Swift!

Remember Unagi....the report button is there for everyone to use if they ever feel threatened lol :p

Yes, and last Saturday I rode EITA, and the ride was 10 times more jerky than usual, and I asked the ride operator why that was, and she said it's because they tried to "improve" it about two weeks ago, but it ended up being very jerky. So next time any of you go to Europe in the Air, tell me if you noticed the same jerkiness.

My 70-year old mom rode it with no problem! This was late last year though. She did like Questor much better!

How much have they modified it?

Unagi said:
My 70-year old mom rode it with no problem! This was late last year though. She did like Questor much better!

How much have they modified it?
They just re-did the movement of the ride a little bit. This little modification, however made the ride very jerky and it made me think I'll probably never ride it again.

ScoutN said:
Hey now. I love Soarin'

Owait

Comparing EitA to Soarin' is like comparing Grover's to Expedition Everest... I wouldn't feel bad if it got removed not one bit; and it actually made me sad that removed Corkscrew for that of all things.

B-Mac said:
Comparing EitA to Soarin' is like comparing Grover's to Expedition Everest... I wouldn't feel bad if it got removed not one bit; and it actually made me sad that removed Corkscrew for that of all things.

I truly hope that you are not being serious with that. Go brush up on the first few pages of the EiTA thread and you shall see.

I think the blackstone group could be interesting. As mentioned in an above post they own merlin entertainment which is opening a new Lego Land in Florida. Do you think at any point they might merge the two into some sort of north american entertainment group. Also i think merlin may also own tousauds. It would be interesting if they up the price but that a platinum pass would get you into all those parks.

No. They are an investment group and not an entertainment group. Their portfolio just so happens to contain a good amount of entertainment.

ScoutN said:
No. They are an investment group and not an entertainment group. Their portfolio just so happens to contain a good amount of entertainment.

I understand they invest in many different areas. However they make money by "spinning" companies off. They basically buy companies restructure the debt and then when the economy is ripe they will either sell the company or spin it off as a publicly traded company. The sea world entertainment group is a strong company but with the addition of the two lego lands it would take the Blackstone holdings in american amusement parks and make it one company. It was just a thought I realize there may be issues with the lego land copyrights since i believe there are more lego lands through europe.

Nothing more than,

BG: "hey boss, look we made money!!"

Blackstone: "keep up the good work" (goes back to counting their money)

That statement was extra true for Universal.

Universal: "We just opened up Harry Potter World, we've already made over $1 million."
Blackstone: "Good job guys, *takes a portion of the money* let's keep this going
Comcast: "Oh hi, we just bought NBC-Universal we now have a cut of these profits." *takes money from Blackstone*
Blackstone: "You just voided our contract with NBC, either we'll take the parks from you or you can buy our share of the park so you solely own it."
Comcast: "How can we possibly screw this up? *pays obscenely large amount of money to Blackstone* We now own all of Universal.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad