Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Bitten (2008 to Present)

No Bitten was there before Catacombs.

Also something to note, Bittens Building lost power today during the storm.

RE: Bitten (2008 to Present)

PR, I don't mean to argue with you, but Masquerage was the only completely new haunted house for 2008. In 2009, the park decided to get all new houses. Unfortunately this was somewhat false advertising, because with some of them they were mostly no more then a change in names. I know it's easy to get the years mixed up, because Bitten seems like it has been here forever. That's only because catacombs has changed slightly every year, whereas Bitten has remained basically the same, with a few minor changes here and there.
2008 Houses:Masquerage,Curse of Pompeii,Wicked Woods - Ripper Row,Grimm Hollows: Deadtime Stories, and Tormented Tales

2009 Houses:Bitten,Catacombs,Cavern of Darkness,Cursed,The Hunted, and Revenge of Pompeii

Even though the lineup for 2009 was brand-new, all of the houses, with the exception of Cavern of Darkness were made from completely recycled Props. Bitten essentially had the same layout as Deadtime Stories, except they added a vampire overlay, this also re-used props from Masquerage(stained glass window,and gothic arches). Revenge of Pompeii, was exactly like Curse of Pompeii, except they changed some of the scare actor costumes, and dulled down the special effects and story. Catacombs (with the exception of only one prop) was entirely recycled with props from Masquerage, Wicked Woods(statues), and the statue from Piratical Purgatory. Cursed was recycled almost entirely from Wicked Woods-Ripper Row.

RE: Bitten (2009 to Present)

CastleOSullivan said:
I know it's easy to get the years mixed up,

Tell me about it, once I was on the Verbolten insider tour, and the TOUR GUIDE said that BBW closed after 26 years of operation. I almost wanted to correct him, but I decided not to be rude so I didn't.(for those of you who don't know, BBW closed after 25 years of operations)

Does anyone remember that video that they released when this house was was brand-new? It was a sneak peek video, with Phil Raybourn explaining the house, and then they did a fast walk-through through the house. I really wish I would've downloaded this video at the time, because it's not on the park's YouTube page anymore. If anyone has this video, and would be willing to post it here, I would greatly appreciate it!

Bitten. Used to be one of my favorites. Especially when you would go from here to hunted, and then walk through the "scary field of hay bales".

But it now just feels old. Nothing seems new this year. Even the scares seem recycled, same as last year, again and again. All the slider doors are the same, all the hiding places are the same.

A few monsters did a good job with their scares, but most were doing simple noises, or one-sound verbalizations.

EXCEPT: One time through, we learned the name of a girl behind us. My son went ahead and told all the scare cast, and about a third of them used it, and scared her so bad she yelled at my son when we finished. It is amazing how scared people get when the monsters know their names.

I'm the exact opposite of everyone here regarding Bitten. Every time I've gone through this maze, I've jumped at least three or four times. Nothing the other mazes in the park have been able to do. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I can't seem to hate this maze. The props may not change much year after year (although there was a neat vampire puppet hanging around in the maze this year), but the actors are always on point and the theming isn't bad at all.

- Easily the most underrated maze in the park.

Reactions: CastleOSullivan

CastleOSullivan said:
Does anyone remember that video that they released when this house was was brand-new? It was a sneak peek video, with Phil Raybourn explaining the house, and then they did a fast walk-through through the house. I really wish I would've downloaded this video at the time, because it's not on the park's YouTube page anymore. If anyone has this video, and would be willing to post it here, I would greatly appreciate it!

Check your PMs COS. Repost as you like. :)

Maybe this was discussed in prior years, but does anyone know why there's sand at the end of this house?

The sand also did a great job of disorienting guests, if they can't walk right, easier to scare. The only problem is it is at the end.

The sand is a reference to the original novel "Dracula". In the book it says that vampires need to carry soil from their homeland (usually Transylvania) in order to survive when they sleep in the daytime. I really applaud all of the people behind creating this house, because they really did their homework on old-Germanic vampire folklore. Sadly, in the second year of the house, instead of developing it further, they broke the entire storyline. In its first year, they even had German villagers in the queue line. This really made it more than a house with walls. Every room represents something specific, and when that immersion in the beginning is lost, people don't really try to make sense out of what they see. This is the reason Deadline was so successful. Sadly, when the park has a solid house, they gradually let it ruin itself(see Fear Fair), because they want something new for the lineup every year. The only reason this one is still here, is because of all of the hard work, and the fact that the walls are semi-permanent. So it is with that said, that I call Bitten the most underrated house of Howl-O-Scream history. I can't wait to see what they have next for this building, but it better be good.

I very much agree with CastleOSullivan. Bitten is a fantastically themed and laid out house. To be honest, though the set design may be a step below Dead Line or Fear Fair, in my honest opinion, the far superior layout makes up for that. If Bitten could be given some TLC and a very strong cast, it could easily be a contender for best house.

CastleOSullivan said:
I can't wait to see what they have next for this building, but it better be good.

As of right now, Bitten still isn't on the top of the park's "to be replaced" list.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad