Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Big Bad Wolf finally got its entry into El Toro Ryan's Problematic Roller Coasters series!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

As far as I know, he nailed basically everything substantive. I think he's probably off the mark a little regarding his guess that the impending sale to Blackstone may have impacted the choice not to pursue the renovation/update project (which I have LONG heard from many folks was on the table), but other than that, I think I agree with him through and through.

Considering how he did DF dirty in claiming that the park came up with the layout and requested a different kind of support when Larry Giles was quoted saying that much of that came from a B&M proposal they liked... Redemption?

Still not as egregious as Kevin from Defunctland stating in his Orient Express video that Nessie is in Tampa...

As far as I know, [ElToroRyan] nailed basically everything substantive. I think he's probably off the mark a little regarding his guess that the impending sale to Blackstone may have impacted the choice not to pursue the renovation/update project (which I have LONG heard from many folks was on the table), but other than that, I think I agree with him through and through.
I will always feel InBev murdered the Wolf. I'm sober now, but back when I was drinking, I made it a point to avoid InBev. Realizing that the discontinuation of free beer was also part of the InBev coup, I can better understand the decision to build something new and shiny to make up for the loss of free beer. That said, I still feel BGW should build a new Wolf some time after the Drachen Fire plot redevelopment.

I believe in Defunctland supremacy

Kevin has good videos, but c'mon you can't both say Nessie is in Tampa while also acknowledging BGW exists in the same video.

However, having watched ETR's BBW video a few times, I think it's pretty spot-on from my experiences riding it. I was young enough that I don't quite remember the layout, so it's good he broke it down a bit.

I just don't remember there being a turn at the top of lift 2...

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Kevin has good videos, but c'mon you can't both say Nessie is in Tampa while also acknowledging BGW exists in the same video.

However, having watched ETR's BBW video a few times, I think it's pretty spot-on from my experiences riding it. I was young enough that I don't quite remember the layout, so it's good he broke it down a bit.

I just don't remember there being a turn at the top of lift 2...
Yep, there was a slight turn before the drop.

Personally, I see difference between one incorrect comment, which easily could have just been a brain fart that wasn't caught in editing, and a video where the presenter specifically says that others are wrond and that the story in their video is "the truth." Even though that "truth" has been debunked by numerous credible people. I also don't see the need to make a video called "problematic coasters" on a ride that was closed more for its age than any individual problem. Wolf was a semi-prototype ride built and designed by hand in the 80's. It's going to have problems. Doesn't nessisarily make it a problematic ride.

a video where the presenter specifically says that others are wrond and that the story in their video is "the truth." Even though that "truth" has been debunked by numerous credible people.

Is this a reference to ETR's DF video claiming the ride design was 100% Arrow with no B&M influence, ignoring that while B&M as a company may not have been influential enough at the time, their work under Giavanola for Intamin rides certainly was? Or the claim that Larry Giles was quoted as saying it was a B&M proposal they couldn't deliver upon in the timeframe the park wanted, but could at least construct Kumba in Tampa?

I also don't see the need to make a video called "problematic coasters" on a ride that was closed more for its age than any individual problem.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm inclined to give him a pass since he's stated on a few of his videos that problematic sounds better than coaster quirks and issues. I'd like to think what's basically a first run build of a second generation of ride is basically as you've described, a prototype. Not sure if it came before or after Xceler-8 at Astroworld, though given the timeline presented it's likely it was in development at the same time so neither had operated enough for Arrow to be able to use what it learned in the plans for the other.

Reactions: ControlsEE
In El Toro Ryan's defense, I think the "Problematic Coasters" series branding probably evolved pretty holistically. He started doing in-depth ride history and technical breakdowns on coasters that were particularly interesting because of how problematic they were. That series just expanded to include coasters that are interesting for other reasons too. I don't have a problem with that. All coasters are "problematic" in one way or another.

I do think that there is some reasonable dispute about the Drachen Fire video, but that's probably better housed in a more appropriate thread. As far as his Wolf video goes, it is my impression that it is nearly flawless. Like I said before, I disagree with his hypothesis regarding what role an impending sale may have played in the ride's closure, but he was open about it being his hypothesis so no gripes from me. There's nothing in the public record that disputes his guess as far as I know. Other than that, no notes from me from what I remember if watching it.

Given Kevin's video on BBW chalked it up to that the park generally just wanted a change, and both his and ETR's video indicated the need for expensive maintenance, who's to say when looking in from the outside?

However, the tease in ETR's video about plans for some kind of extensive refurb on BBW that never got off the ground, so-to-speak - anyone know if these ever existed, and if so what they included?

Is this a reference to ETR's DF video claiming the ride design was 100% Arrow with no B&M influence, ignoring that while B&M as a company may not have been influential enough at the time, their work under Giavanola for Intamin rides certainly was? Or the claim that Larry Giles was quoted as saying it was a B&M proposal they couldn't deliver upon in the timeframe the park wanted, but could at least construct Kumba in Tampa?

I get where you're coming from, but I'm inclined to give him a pass since he's stated on a few of his videos that problematic sounds better than coaster quirks and issues. I'd like to think what's basically a first run build of a second generation of ride is basically as you've described, a prototype. Not sure if it came before or after Xceler-8 at Astroworld, though given the timeline presented it's likely it was in development at the same time so neither had operated enough for Arrow to be able to use what it learned in the plans for the other.
Yes, I was referring to the DF video. And as far as Wolf and Xceler-8 are concerned, I believe they were developed at the same time with the changes based on what Arrow learned from the Bat. Given that the first Bat is generally considered a failure, I've always considered Wolf as a prototype, just a prototype that worked. In my opinion, Griffon is more problematic than Wolf was, but that's another story.

Yes, I was referring to the DF video. And as far as Wolf and Xceler-8 are concerned, I believe they were developed at the same time with the changes based on what Arrow learned from the Bat. Given that the first Bat is generally considered a failure, I've always considered Wolf as a prototype, just a prototype that worked. In my opinion, Griffon is more problematic than Wolf was, but that's another story.

With your experience, I know I'd love watching a video or listening to a podcast where you go into such details...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad