BGWFans & Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Mar 16, 2016
So, thank you @Zachary for sharing that. Certainly seems as though Dan wanted to really work with you. I think it's fair from the parks POV to feel like the speculation and commentary is annoying. For them to feel like it's grossly unfair and misinformed is fair too. It's why I try my best to be level headed at many times in my 'counter commentary' to some of the things that get brought up in some threads. I don't expect you to call out any discussions or anything like that, but the frequency at which it happens would be interesting.

Again though, the part I think that's unfair to you and @Nicole is basically holding you accountable for the members thoughts and feelings. Especially with how often the two of you jump into a discussion to 'correct course' when someone gets too far 'harsh' with their commentary.

So it brings up a question that I have: My company has employees that that join boards like BGWFans to give 'counterpoints' when a criticism is out there. Has there ever been a thought to talk to someone in a department, allow them to anonymously join the board to counter any times someone puts out the gross information?

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Has there ever been a thought to talk to someone in a department, allow them to anonymously join the board to counter any times someone puts out the gross information?
Confirming more that I've never spoken about before...

This has been a thing twice throughout the site's history—both times a fair while back. The first time (very early on) was officially sanctioned by marketing. The second was officially sanctioned by another department without marketing's approval.

Both of these arrangements ended when key players left the company.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com

For the record, I don’t hate this #FreeBGWFans idea at all. I definitely don’t condone brigading BGW’s social media with it (they’ll just ban you anyway), but maybe it functions really well as some sort of community rallying cry...? I figured I’d float it out there in the tweet above and see if anything starts to happen.

Aug 23, 2017

For the record, I don’t hate this #FreeBGWFans idea at all. I definitely don’t condone brigading BGW’s social media with it (they’ll just ban you anyway), but maybe it functions really well as some sort of community rallying cry...? I figured I’d float it out there in the tweet above and see if anything starts to happen.
Its been a minute but isnt the sun basically a tabloid? If so, getting mentioned in a tabloid i feel like is some sort of achievement.

Reactions: Applesauce

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach

I can not confirm or deny that I did or did not have anything to do with posting messages about BGWFans being left out and perhaps leaving the impression that it was a conspiracy.

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
Just a status update...

It has been over a week now since we requested to know why, specifically, our media access was revoked by the park. We’ve received no response.

If they’re unhappy about something, that’s fine—lets talk about it. The fact that they won’t even tell us how we’ve supposedly wronged them speaks volumes though—particularly following years of close collaboration with their department.

The new team may disagree with the actions of the old team—specifically regarding how BGWFans was handled. I get that. That said, the new team still has a responsibility to change course in a professional manner. So far, that is not what has happened at all.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2009
I personally dont think it has anything to do with anything but this site makes them do their job....because if they dont BGWfans gets all the credit. What I mean is if this site just dissapeared they coud sit back all winter and do nothing, post nothing, not mention anything new and coming but the fact is that this site will talk aboiut what they know and whats happening in the off season. Yes they have a event for so call media last week but thats one day they have to work on something. Now if this site wasnt around they could just sit back until a week or two before opening and do a media blitz of all this huge new info from the off season and even then control what info gets out there. Its like having that guy in the office thats always on top of things and knows about everything going on and it makes everyone else look bad for kicking back. That guy is BGWfans and its awesome! At least how I see it.

Mar 16, 2016
So I wanted to comment in here after seeing the posts in the attraction survey, and I saw someone say spamming them through the survey isn’t a great way to get anything through.

And I agree.

The other day when I saw an issue with my membership I had to call in. As I talked with the person, I actually ended up having a lovey conversation with the lady on the phone about this topic, and believe it or not she feels just like us. She’s upset that marketing cut BGWFans out of the loop. She expressed to me that without it, calls like I had last year would have been a mess without the article because no one would have known what they were asking about. So she asked me to make an on record recorded statement which she says she will forward to marketing for review.

Apr 5, 2017
I have a hypothesis. First a little background on me. I live about 5 hours from Williamsburg and went to BGW as a child since we had family in the area. About 8 years ago bought a platinum pass for a year when my oldest was 5. After it expired we did other vacation options including a year pass at Disney before the prices went crazy. I also discovered touring plans which helped tremendously. After a couple years I decided to go back to BGW and discovered this site while looking for something similar. It was invaluable to be able to get a read on what had changed, upcoming attractions, pass options etc.. ok back to my idea....

What if the better relationship that started several years back was due to BGW recognizing that this site served as a resource for many people and knowing they were rolling out memberships and new pass structure thought it would help to have BGWfans on board. Even to the point of floating ideas about member benefits which actually happened (free market research). Essentially helping smooth the transition. Now they don't view us as necessary and its back to normal.
Administration would know better than I, but I was viewing these boards before I became a member and I bet many people looking into membership see this site also. Like Warfeig said in his post, this board made it easier for BGW.

Reactions: BenWilkerson
Feb 3, 2019
I have a hypothesis. First a little background on me. I live about 5 hours from Williamsburg and went to BGW as a child since we had family in the area. About 8 years ago bought a platinum pass for a year when my oldest was 5. After it expired we did other vacation options including a year pass at Disney before the prices went crazy. I also discovered touring plans which helped tremendously. After a couple years I decided to go back to BGW and discovered this site while looking for something similar. It was invaluable to be able to get a read on what had changed, upcoming attractions, pass options etc.. ok back to my idea....

What if the better relationship that started several years back was due to BGW recognizing that this site served as a resource for many people and knowing they were rolling out memberships and new pass structure thought it would help to have BGWfans on board. Even to the point of floating ideas about member benefits which actually happened (free market research). Essentially helping smooth the transition. Now they don't view us as necessary and its back to normal.
Administration would know better than I, but I was viewing these boards before I became a member and I bet many people looking into membership see this site also. Like Warfeig said in his post, this board made it easier for BGW.
Maybe, but it's one thing to end a working relationship...

And a completely different thing to stop inviting one media organization to events that other (lesser) media organizations are invited to.

horsesboy

Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013

Based on the timeline in my head I don't think that was likely. If my recollections is correct we started to see a more positive relationship with Invadr and the new memberships did come about till BFE which was a year later. I just don't see the park having planned it that far out. I think it's far more likely that a combination of Carl's departure and new marketing staff that were more open to new forums of media opened the door. I think sadly with some of those people moving on we transitioned back to a more closed minded view at the park where they want the echo chamber media and not anyone that going to challenge them.

Mar 16, 2016
Ok, so I wasn't sure where to put this and this seemed like the proper place to put it because I think it ties into the recent "views" BGW has had about BGWFans via the ParkFans forums.

These days have been hard on all of us. There's not a lot of park news to talk about, the coronavirus seeps into every conversation, and I feel as though it's lead to a lot of bickering. But one thing I've tended to notice the last two or three weeks is the increasing pot shots at BGW in a lot of posts. Over their choices of staffing, what it's going to be like when it reopens, it's financial state, and various other things. Now, I'm not going to "fan boy" all over this post and say it's perfect, or call out some kind of restriction of speech, but I feel very strongly about this next thing:

I love the coverage @Zachary and @Nicole and anyone else that helps and contributes to BGWFans.com. And we know that BGW has watched this board and has denied them access to media availability times because of things that are being said. It makes it harder for them to have some good quality reporting when they can't find out things, cover events, or just be able to learn more about events before they open.

So when I'm reading a thread, and I see comments that defend, or justify, or support BGW and the next 4/5 posts are calling out that post, or taking pot shots at them, my heart breaks not for BGW (they can take it) but rather for @Zachary and @Nicole who's job of being able to run a site about the park becomes harder. I know they have the experience but that doesn't mean it's easy.

Like I said, I don't want this to take the perception that I'm saying someones freedom of speech should be taken away, but when something is posted like how the loans applied for are going to be used to keep the staff they have, and someone applauds them for finding ways to care for the entire business; maybe the next post shouldn't be "well don't furlough someone in the first place". That's an incredibly tough call to make to furlough someone. Groveling over things like what's included in extensions. Now some of the things they are being called out for is fair IMO (like still collecting EZPay payments), but I feel some of it has turned into beating a dead horse some.

Basically TL;DR -
The things we say has an impact on @Zachary 's and @Nicole 's ability to give us news/information on BGW and when some posts are about to be sent, think about the impact they could have.

Feb 14, 2019
Serious question - what do you think is the park's opinion of crtiques where we're seeing gaps or flaws in how they've handled something and are suggesting possible alternatives that may have a chance of working out better?

That's not to say anyone here whom has never worked in or for the industry knows what it's like making those decisions, but more that we each have our own experiences and/or expertise in certain subject areas that we feel the park could do better in.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad