Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
After just under two years, it looks as though Busch Gardens Williamsburg is heading toward another leadership change.

Judging by David Cromwell's job history though, we probably should have seen this coming. He has been promoted repeatedly up the SEAS chain at a truly astonishing pace. Judging by his performance at BGW, it's easy to see why.

PS: Huge thanks to the little birdy who mentioned this to me—I'd have totally missed it otherwise.

UPDATE: Though the link to the job posting above is no longer available, this is because the job posting expired. This doesn't mean that a new park president has been selected yet.

Additionally, BGWFans can now independently confirm that David Cromwell is, indeed, leaving Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Damn, that's disappointing. I really liked Cromwell and his vision for the park. Under his short tenure, Busch Gardens took a near 180-degree turn from the tacky and corner-cutting experience of the Lum presidency and shifted towards being the quality, charming, old-world place it used to be. To me it seemed that Cromwell understood the park, and I understand that he played a big role in the improvements in landscaping, theming, music, and even employee work ethic in the past couple of years. For the first time in half a decade, I feel like Busch Gardens has a soul again. I just hope the team Cromwell leaves behind can continue this momentum.

That said, every employee I've talked to has raved about Cromwell's competence and work ethic, and in my few talks with him I was blown away by his passion for his job, so I can't imagine he is moving anywhere but up. I'll miss him, but I also congratulate him. Whatever promotion he is getting, the man deserves it.

I agree with Joe, David Cromwell may have only lasted two years as park President, but his positive effect on the park made it to have it's old world charm and soul slowly come back. Crossing fingers here for the next President to be just as good, if not better.

Nobody else has risen so fast. He shall henceforth be named: John Reilly II.

Seriously though, I had the pleasure of having dinner with him once, and I could tell from that and his actions that he is very passionate about Busch Gardens Williamsburg and also pass members in general. He will be missed.

David is a real pleasure to meet and get know as a person in addition to being a great park president who cared about both the park and park guests. I hoped we could've kept him around longer but wish him the best all the same.

Reactions: jornor
From what I have heard from people that have worked with him he was a great asset for the park. One can only hope that he is moving into a higher position in the company that will benefit the company as a whole and that some of those benefits will treacle down to the park. But it will be hard finding an equally good person to fill his shoes.

Reactions: jornor
When I clicked the Application link Zachary posted it says:

"Unfortunately, this position is no longer available. Have a look at our other opportunities below:"

Does this mean the new Park President has been hired already?

Does anyone think the replacement will be from within or will it be someone from outside the SEAS umbrella that's coming in?

Personally I would hope for someone that's within the umbrella, and most specifically under Cromwell to continue the path that he has put the park on. I've been a fan of what he's done, and I'm hoping whoever replaces him really ends up being a steward of Cromwell's vision as opposed to someone from the outside that would feel threatened if they wouldn't get the credit for it.

I think there were several people working under Cromwell, so maybe whoever works directly under him might be the new President. And I agree with the next President should be someone who works within the umbrella.

Reactions: jornor and warfelg
jornor said:
When I clicked the Application link Zachary posted it says:

"Unfortunately, this position is no longer available. Have a look at our other opportunities below:"

Does this mean the new Park President has been hired already?

The job posting was set to automatically expire on a set date.

Also, in case there was any doubt, I have a collection of sources all confirming the news that Cromwell is definitely leaving.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad