Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 18, 2017
I have digitized and archived slides from Busch Gardens - The Old Country from 1976. I live in the area and have been going to BGW since it's opening. I have hundreds of slides and came across these. As I get more done I'll add to this. There are several from the park in general and even though I'm not ready to post them there was a time when they had deer adjacent to the railroad tracks roaming free. I vaguely remember the trains having to stop when they were on the tracks.
Anyway, here is the first 6:

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

PICT0039.JPG

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    9.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2011
Man, those trees. New France really bakes now during the VA midday summer heat. I had forgotten how much partial shade there was long ago. Makes a big difference.

No willow by the Hastings bridge. Confirms a statement made during the early stretch of the Finnegan's Flyer conversation. I don't recall who it was, but they were spot-on.

Terrific pics, thank you for sharing them @Rothbury. I have no memory at all of the costumed characters.

Mar 18, 2017
I deleted the first picture from New France. As usual, when working with slides it's sometimes hard to tell which way is the right way. Anyway, I flipped it and from what I can tell it looks like I took the picture after exiting the train. The building to the left is hamburger place that no longer exists. This was before the smokehouse and Festhaus so there weren't too many places to eat.PICT0011.JPG

Also, here are a few more. I have found about 10 or 12 more but I'll piecemeal them in, instead of doing it all at once.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

Not many people will remember this but at one time this was the location for the beer handout.

PICT0003.JPG

This was taken from the boat looking back. There was No Italy. Therefore, there was no bridge.

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0010A.JPG

Probably be interesting to identify these people. This is 45 years ago.

Mar 16, 2016
You all got me wanting to find my photos and hard disk from my 2003 trip to BGW!

Wonderful pictures @Rothbury and to everyone that took these, if they are from your childhood visits, I'm slightly jealous you got to see the park in that iteration!

Reactions: The Quist
Mar 18, 2017
I guess this will be the last of the pictures for now. never say never but I think the rest of my BGW stuff would be video and I'd have to find it. So, here goes:

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0026.JPG

This would have been taken as the train past over the trestle. There wasn't even a Loch Ness at this point.

PICT0029.JPGPICT0030.JPGPICT0033.JPG

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I'm having trouble placing where the 3rd photo down was taken - my guess is either the split path to EfP or in line for the skyride.

Didn't recognize the last photo for a moment before realizing the turrets have been reshaped and are currently covered in vines...

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
Amazing photos Rothbury. I would really love the Old Country costumes like what those people wore to make a comeback; then again Virginia heat is an issue. The old costume characters are always neat to see from old photos or footage, it's funny to see the AB eagle wearing a Colonial Williamsburg outfit in a European theme park.

Apr 1, 2010
NC
That isn't a Colonial Williamsburg outfit in a European theme park. Williamsburg and England were all British citizen at the time before the American War for Independence. The colonies wore the same clothes as the Crown and of the style for that period. So, it is proper British attire. The Banbury area has always seemed to be an amalgamation of periods with beef-eaters, knights, Elizabethan/Renaissance/Victorian, and colonial period dress.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad