Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 30, 2010
Theme Park Insider

Well it looks like BGW dropped 3.4% in attendance last year. I guess the removal of BBW was a big hit. I feel like Christmastown attendance was the same if not better. The addition of Europe in the Air and Illuminights did not do much for the park in term of attendance.

I'd think the ticket prices combined with the recession have kept more people at home. It's interesting because most of the industry is moving the other direction.

To note Seaworld Orlando and San Diego also had bad years in terms of attendance.

Overall the Seaworld parks attendance grew by 4.9%

Attendance Results here (PDF Warning!)

RE: BGW Attendance Drops 3.4%

Honestly I think some people are not fond of the buyout. The recession can't hit it but so hard on this. The incentives being offered are insane with the fun card and whatever WC has.

Disney Parks are soaring right now as well as Universal. Majority of people travel vast distances to get there as well.

I feel like Intimidator was a big hit too. It was like a perfect storm of Busch removing an iconic ride and KD having a very strong marketing campaign with a truly unique attraction (FASTER! TALLER! I GOTTA RIDE IT!).

This doesn't come as a huge surprise to me. Illuminites did a good job though, they just didnt promote it very much. Honestly, I had no idea it was really going on and wouldn't have unless I was checking here so much.

CarterGee said:
I feel like Intimidator was a big hit too. It was like a perfect storm of Busch removing an iconic ride and KD having a very strong marketing campaign with a truly unique attraction (FASTER! TALLER! I GOTTA RIDE IT!).

This doesn't come as a huge surprise to me. Illuminites did a good job though, they just didnt promote it very much. Honestly, I had no idea it was really going on and wouldn't have unless I was checking here so much.

Did you really not hear the commercials ALL over Va? I got tired of hearing them every commercial break.

I don't think BBW had as much of an effect as one would think. Locals have passes and tourists I think are finding ways to spend their money and make it go farther. There is not much to do in the area of BGW. People aren't as intellectual as they once were. The general population aren't going to go to an area with one park and some history stuff.

Haha "people aren't as intellectual as they once were" There are entire classes that debate just that.

And no, I heard TONS of KD ads. They outdid Busch by a long shot.

ScoutN said:
Did you really not hear the commercials ALL over Va? I got tired of hearing them every commercial break.

How far is their broadcasting range for those ads?

I remember seeing commercials for both BGW and BGT airing in New York State (Where I Live). Though this was a few years ago and I haven't seen any ad campaigns for BG recently.

CarterGee said:
Haha "people aren't as intellectual as they once were" There are entire classes that debate just that.

And no, I heard TONS of KD ads. They outdid Busch by a long shot.

You can't deny that though. Cheeseburger in Paradise has to have a plaque on the table that says "caution step down" because people are too incompetent to realize that on their own.

They more than like did.

ArrowWolf1984 said:
How far is their broadcasting range for those ads?

I remember seeing commercials for both BGW and BGT airing in New York State (Where I Live). Though this was a few years ago and I haven't seen any ad campaigns for BG recently.

I heard a good number of them from Winston-Salem all the way to Baltimore.

I think the main reason was there was nothing new on a large scale. The year before was Christmas Town, before that you could even say Griffon was still fresh on everyone's minds. It's just one of those calm before the storm years IMO. Once the new coaster and Mach Tower open, those numbers will jump.

I feel like their marketing is terrible. The new commercials are down right pathetic. I'm almost positive i could do better with a handheld and about a days work of editing. Not to say it would have a huge impact on attendance. But presentation means alot, and i feel they are lacking.

It doesn't help Busch that, while they charge like Disney for a ticket, I'm pretty sure the marketing department is left to collect the nightly spare change out of the fountains for their revenue.

I think you need to look at the industry. the trends are almost all going in the other direction. I imagine when KD puts out their attendance numbers they will also be higher. Seaworld Parks are hurting at their major parks.

pandorazboxx said:
I think you need to look at the industry. the trends are almost all going in the other direction. I imagine when KD puts out their attendance numbers they will also be higher. Seaworld Parks are hurting at their major parks.

Agreed. Little marketing, not too much new in the way of rides until 2011/2012, we are behind.

I think a new area of themed restrooms would have been better than the addition of EITA last year, that certainly didnt help the numbers from last year to now. Plus parking at BG is horrendous now (cost AND the line to enter, that MUST be addressed asap). Roll the cost of parking into the ticket?? Ideas?

Bring Back Questor 87 said:
pandorazboxx said:

Agreed. Little marketing, not too much new in the way of rides until 2011/2012, we are behind.

I think a new area of themed restrooms would have been better than the addition of EITA last year, that certainly didnt help the numbers from last year to now. Plus parking at BG is horrendous now (cost AND the line to enter, that MUST be addressed asap). Roll the cost of parking into the ticket?? Ideas?

Oh and No BBW. The biggest blow (emotionally) :(

Can anybody find any attendance trends for Colonial Williamsburg? Just wondering if the whole are was depressed last year.

past few years:
Year: Attendance +/- yearly change

2006: 2,806,222
2007: 3,157,000 +12.5%
2008: 2,796,528 -11.4%
2009: 2,900,000 +3.4% (FYI almost everyone else this year lost attendance)
2010: 2,800,000 -3.4%

Clear explanations for these numbers:

2007 - Griffon
2008 - Recession Hits
2009 - Sesame Street
2010 - No new ground breaking additions, removal of a coaster, Intimidator at KD Hype.
2011 - I'd expect flat numbers this year: late opening of an attraction, RE-tracking of Intimidator for its continued success, slightly higher ticket prices, gas still pretty pricey even below $4/gallon now, and still there is spotty advertising for BG.
2012 - should be better if project 2012 is underscored as THE ride of the year.

Thoughts?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad