Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 28, 2020
Going off my own rankings:

1. Cedar Point (maverick/steel vengeance)
2. Magic mountain (X2/twisted colossus)
3. Hershey (candymonium/Skyrush)
4. Six flags New England (Superman/wicked cyclone)
5. Fiesta Texas (iron rattler/Wonder Woman)

Reactions: aerobadger
Some of my favorite top 2 headliners at parks would be in no particular order:

Cedar Point - Steel Vengeance & Maverick are both just a blast. I just wish Maverick 1. wouldn't break down so much 2. wouldn't accumulate such a long line 3. CP could consider switching the trains out for Pantheon style restraints (pipe dream)
Kings Dominion - Intimidator 305 & Twisted Timbers, I could ride both of them all day and honestly fill the four hours between my meals with just marathons on both, though that would be pretty exhausting. Both very intense fast paced rides that compliment each other quite well.
Carowinds - Fury 325 & Copperhead Strike, two newer more modern rides with great pacing. Fury is the GOAT B&M of all the B&Ms I've done and there's no other Mack launcher in the US like Copperhead and I personally found it to be a very fun coaster overall. Personally would have zero issue with a similar attraction taking the Volcano spot.
Busch Gardens Tampa Bay - Iron Gwazi & Montu, Montu is the only invert I feel comfortable calling part of a "1-2 punch" it's definitely the magnum opus of inverts I've ridden. Iron Gwazi remains my #1 roller coaster overall it's the closest thing to a perfect roller coaster I've ridden of the 205 I've done.
Six Flags Great Adventure - El Toro & Jersey Devil Coaster, El Toro doesn't really need much explanation the airtime feels incredible on the drop, over the two camelbacks and the RT hill. I REALLY enjoyed Jersey Devil Coaster and honestly I'm one of the weirdos that likes it more than Wonder Woman GLC I just thought a lot of the elements were more satisfying overall. WWGLC is such a fast paced blitz and I only got one lap so I couldn't quite fully appreciate it as much as JDC. Speaking of WWGLC.....
Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Iron Rattler & WWGLC, Yeah they have two RMCs...........Iron Rattler is awesome, well ahead of it's time as the 2nd RMC Hybrid. I didn't find a ton of issues with the pacing on the wall like most do. It almost felt like a mini-Twisted Timbers section and it wrapped up with that FANTASTIC dive off the wall, not to mention that incredible first drop. WWGLC is more intense than JDC for sure and I thought it was cool how it was over water, I find it concerning that when I went the one train that they had on the track appeared to be a "frankentrain" with pieces of tape covering the different colored variations marking the different trains......kinda worries about the prototype RMC raptors or we just blame Selim whatever works.
Six Flags Over Texas - New Texas Giant & Mr. Freeze, the original RMC is great it's probably my lowest ranked of the RMC Hybrids but if I'm being honest all six of the RMC hybrids I've done have been amazing and are all in my Top 15 coasters. One of the airtime hills on NTG completely caught me off guard (the one before the turn up into the MCBR). I wouldn't prioritize the front row on this one unless you really want to for the view/front row credit. It definitely shows it's the first when the pacing just dies off hard towards the end. You rise up over a hill and......zero airtime. But everything up to that point is delightful and I could marathon this ride all day. I actually appreciate the gerstlauer restraints. Mr. Freeze is honestly insane, the backwards launch (RIP) into that first inversion is unreal the forces at the top of it just flat out don't make any sense. The rest of the ride is just a blur.
Kings Island - Orion & Mystic Timbers, Orion doesn't deserve the hate it gets, yes it's NOT Fury 325. Nope definitely not that ride specifically. It IS my 2nd favorite B&M. I could ride Orion 25 times no problem it's a fun awesome ride. Mystic Timbers is just a hell of a rush I felt like everytime I hit the brakes on it before the shed (which I don't mind honestly makes waiting for the next train to go much more entertaining) I was like "WTF just happened?" each time.
Kentucky Kingdom - Storm Chaser & Lightning Run, KK is a small weird park and a lot of the back section is not presented particularly well but these two coasters alone make dropping in worth EVERY penny. Both ejector airtime machines. I prefer Storm Chaser which does seem like an "unrefined Twisted Timbers" to Lightning Run but I really appreciate Lightning Run for its uniqueness. It's a great ride.
Hersheypark - Skyrush & Candymonium, the two hypers right next to each other compliment each other very well. Skyrush is arguably more insane than I305 for different reasons, like the fact the drop gave me the sensation I've always feared on a roller coaster which is my entire lower half rising up from the seat. Candymonium is a delightful B&M Hyper in all aspects. I prefer Mako slightly but I need a lot more rides on Candy for sure. Also man I wish they'd change the name of it. You could also sub Storm Runner for Candymonium here.
SeaWorld Orlando - Manta & Mako, this is an awesome pair of B&Ms I could marathon them both forever honestly but I have to be an accountant or something during the week.
Holiday World - Voyage & Legend, Voyage is a masterpiece of a wooden coaster and Legend is a fantastic wooden coaster as well.

Apr 22, 2019
I get all the dislike to my statements but part of a coaster being part of a great 1-2 punch to me is reridability. Intamin doesn’t deliver that to me. Bad harnesses plus too snappy of direction changes at high speed kills the experience for me. Their newest offerings seem to be much better with that.
The rapid direction changes are actually my favorite part of i305. I personally am not crazy about the first turn being such high G's, but the rest of the ride makes up for it. However I agree it's not that re-rerideble. For me because of those high g's in the first turn. I very, very rarely ride it twice in a row. Usually only once and then maybe again later in the day. But I do like it a lot and it's one of my favorites at the park.

Twisted Timbers is also not re-rideable for me, but I know for others it is very much so. I enjoyed Tumbili more than either of these coasters. I legit find it intimidating and scary, and then really fun. The length is perfect for me for the type of ride it is. Admittedly part of that is that it was an entirely new experience for me and that made it more exciting. I can imagine that over time it will drop down the list, but I haven't ridden it backward (at the top) yet, so that's something to look forward to getting the courage up to doing.

I am not sure what I'd pick for the one-two at KD. Probably right now it's Tumbili and i305. I'm sure 0 others agree with that take. :)

At SFA it's definitely Wild One and Batwing. Batwing is also legit scary for me every time and I love it.

Reactions: warfelg
Mar 16, 2016
The rapid direction changes are actually my favorite part of i305. I personally am not crazy about the first turn being such high G's, but the rest of the ride makes up for it. However I agree it's not that re-rerideble. For me because of those high g's in the first turn. I very, very rarely ride it twice in a row. Usually only once and then maybe again later in the day. But I do like it a lot and it's one of my favorites at the park.
This is what I love about rides. We both feel the same in not reridable and one of our favorite but for polar opposite reasons. I love the drop and first turn. If the transitions weren’t so tight I would love it more.

Reactions: Crunchewy
I personally think things like height, age, shoulders, etc. can heavily determine how much one enjoys a ride. For example I prefer Pantheon to Maverick and it's honestly mostly because on Pantheon I am very loose in that restraint, wheras the shoulder harness on Maverick clamps me firmly in place not unlike I305, but that's a ride I feel like could take the transition to those restraints, whereas I305 is not. But I suspect my issue with it is that I am 6'3 with broad shoulders so the harness firmly restrains my torso the entire ride. I don't have an issue with them on I305 as I don't know what it would do to my spine with Pantheon restraints.

Apr 22, 2019
I personally think things like height, age, shoulders, etc. can heavily determine how much one enjoys a ride. For example I prefer Pantheon to Maverick and it's honestly mostly because on Pantheon I am very loose in that restraint, wheras the shoulder harness on Maverick clamps me firmly in place not unlike I305, but that's a ride I feel like could take the transition to those restraints, whereas I305 is not. But I suspect my issue with it is that I am 6'3 with broad shoulders so the harness firmly restrains my torso the entire ride. I don't have an issue with them on I305 as I don't know what it would do to my spine with Pantheon restraints.

I have this issue a bit on Tumbili and I'm 6', so I imagine that that ride is not great for you at 6'3"? The vests are a tad tight (too short) even for me, but for me not a huge issue. If I were taller I could see it being uncomfortable.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad