Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Since we discussed the best rides besides roller coasters at BGW, I thought it would be interestingly to ask the same question about KD. So, what is your favorite "non-coaster" at the park?

I thought about this for a while. I think the carousel is my favorite. I can't even explain why, but I make a point of riding carousels everywhere I go. KD's is charming and I love that they refurbished part of it.

What about y'all?

Best non-coaster ride is Boo Blasters on Boo Hill. No contest. I love Sally darkrides and Boo Blasters is a surprisingly good one.

As for flat rides, Bad Apple is my favorite. I love every Huss Troika I've ever ridden and though KD's may not be the best (spoiler: it's, sadly, not), it is a great ride nonetheless.

Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is definitely mine. I think it's a great little dark ride. Not only that, but the theming level stays somewhat consistent from the point you walk in the ride's queue until you leave it. The fact it's a Sally Dark Ride makes it very re-rideable also.

Bad Apple would probably be my second place. It's a fun flat, and I definitely prefer fun small flats over the large ones that are typically overrated. The only thing about Bad Apple is on hot days, the seats get extremely uncomfortable and so does the queue, it's all exposed to the sun.

Clearly not a popular opinion but like most dark rides, Boo Blasters bores the crap out of me. My favorite non-coaster at KD used to be the Apple Turnover. Sadly it was removed. Today I suppose my favorite would have to be Bad Apple.

Reactions: jornor and Unagi
I echo what others have said. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is by far my favorite non-coaster. It's chock full of theming, and I'm a sucker for interactive rides. Bad Apple is definitely my favorite flat, as well. It really gives you that swooping feeling in your belly.

There are also a few other contenders. Shenandoah Lumber Co. and Blue Ridge Tollway are just so relaxing, so I'll give them honorable mentions.

And this might be an unpopular opinion, but The Crypt is also one of my favorites. It is thematically beautiful, and it has enough special effects to make it fun even if you don't ride.

Can't believe no one has said White Water Canyon. I love water rides and it happens to be one of the better ones for a regional park.

As a side note while I have never riden it I have to say I ndo like the look of the carousel a lot. One thing that has always struck me is how much more natural the horses on KD's one are compare to others. I find a lot of the to have almost cartoonish ones.

horsesboy said:
As a side note while I have never riden it I have to say I ndo like the look of the carousel a lot.  One thing that has always struck me is how much more natural the horses on KD's one are compare to others.  I find a lot of the to have almost cartoonish ones.

That carousel is quiet old and all the horses were hand made. It dates back to the early 20th century I believe.

Reactions: Jesy and horsesboy
Zimmy said:
horsesboy said:
As a side note while I have never riden it I have to say I ndo like the look of the carousel a lot.  One thing that has always struck me is how much more natural the horses on KD's one are compare to others.  I find a lot of the to have almost cartoonish ones.

That carousel is quiet old and all the horses were hand made.  It dates back to the early 20th century I believe.
I believe it looking at them I can tell that someone with alot of talent made them. And also someone who studied his subject. Their position is one that much more closely depicts the natural horse movement then say BGW's does. I know I might be one of only 5 people who care about it put still its just truly is a work of art in addition to a ride.

horsesboy said:
I believe it looking at them I can tell that someone with alot of talent made them. And also someone who studied his subject. Their position is one that much more closely depicts the natural horse movement then say BGW's does. I know I might be one of only 5 people who care about it put still its just truly is a work of art in addition to a ride.

I can't remember where I heard this, but I believe the park is slowly restoring each horse, one at a time.

Sometime you should ride it and look up.  The old iron and wood work is beautiful.

The main difference between Kings Dominion's Carousel and other modernly-restored or modern carousels is that the horses are wood, and typically hand carved. Whereas, say on BGW's carousel the horses are prefabricated fiber glass. The main difference between the two is definitely maintenance. Since the wood ones are painted, they are quite needy in their upkeep. But if you keep up with it constantly, it's usually just occasional patchwork, if that.

I give KD props for having a beautiful carousel, but I definitely think the upkeep on the horses could be improved. In 2014 they did some work on it for the 40th, but last year any more visual work on the carousel that was actually promised like Zimmy said was undetectable. I just hope last year was a short break and we'll see more work done this year, but a lot of the horses were looking rather rough in their paint job.

I would like to see the rest of the horses freshly restored, and yes they are looking quite weathered. But....when I look around, I dont feel a 'neglect' vibe surrounding the carousel. I feel a 'enjoyed by many' type of vibe. This may not make sense to some people, but don't worry about it, I forgive you.

Zimmy said:
My favorite non-coaster at KD used to be the Apple Turnover.  Sadly it was removed.  

That was my favorite as well. Back in the day, this was the one flat I looked forward to riding. Nowadays I can't handle spinning flat rides, but if they installed another Huss Enterprise, I'd definitely give it a spin for old times' sake.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad