Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Not sure where this is best fitted, so if it should go somewhere else, please relocate it.

Anyways, what's the best moments you've had at Busch Gardens? I'll share two:

1. Sitting at the top of Big Bad Wolf on a summer's night, at the point just after the clank-clank-clank's where the coaster levels out and you're looking over the river and the park seems so off in the distance. It's quiet and there's such a sense of privacy there. You can see stars, and there's a warm wind coming off the water and over the tree tops all around you. That moment is one of my absolute FAVORITES ever. You know you're about to go barreling through the dark, but that one moment is so peaceful. I always howled on the way up to that point but never during it, so as not to disturb mine or anyone else's moment.

2. The feeling of pure exhilaration when you catch those zero g's on Griffon and Apollo's Chariot because it's so smooth. And you don't care about *anything* going on in your life except that sensation of utter joy. You're flying. You're weightless. There's nothing holding you back, in any sense, except a harness which in some very small way you kinda wish wasn't there so you could really let go and keep flying. Everything else no longer matters. Life beyond your seat doesn't exist. This is the essence of true roller coaster fanaticism.

*sigh* I love Busch Gardens.

Those seem like some good moments.

I always had a blast playing in Eagles Nest and going to the petting zoo, most of my fond memories of the park are from when I was little.

2 awesome moments.

My first would be seeing the sheer joy on my 2yr old neices face when she can't stay up on the Tradewinds. She loves it!!

My second would be those few moments of zero-gravity on Devinci's cradle. That ride holds a special place in my heart because it's the only thing my grandfather would ride with me on. He's been gone going on 9yrs, but I can still hear him when I'm on there and now I enjoy it with my 17yr old neice and many nephews.

Awww yes I remember the petting zoo! But only because a goat kept eating my poncho. I was like 6 at the time.

Riding Alpengeist countless number of times before closing. Literally no one got in line for the back row (Like always, everyone goes to the front row lol), so the ride ops let me and my friend stay on until the park closed. Alpengeist at night is amazing. I love the view at the top.

Also, I love the trip on our way to Busch. In the summer time when my friend Aimee and I would travel up there. We're from Southern MD, and it's about 3-4 Hours. We usually leave around 6 and take turns driving. The best part is hitting up Sonic on the way and blasting old school Alice Cooper, Ratt, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses etc in her 92 Mustang GT. God, I can't wait till summer.

Well, the first one can never happen again. When I was there the other day, they told me that re-rides where no longer allowed. Ever.

Wow, really? Once we went on a rainy day and got to ride LNM as many times in a row as we wanted. Was on for 6 rides.

I miss the brewery tour. That was cool the one time we went.

I know. I'd stay till the end of the day just for re-ride after re-ride on Apollo in the dark. Anyway, when I was there last time I tried it on Nessy, Alpen, and Apollo and they all told me that they weren't allowed to give re-rides anymore and that we needed to leave walk back through.

Swiftman said:
I know. I'd stay till the end of the day just for re-ride after re-ride on Apollo in the dark. Anyway, when I was there last time I tried it on Nessy, Alpen, and Apollo and they all told me that they weren't allowed to give re-rides anymore and that we needed to leave walk back through.

It will just take the right person at the right time. Just keep asking. Staff starts to operate less by the book later in the year too.

We were there the last day of regular season last year and we rode nessie like 3 times in a row. There was no one in the park. We went from ride to ride, but then again it was really cold and really wet.

You make a great point, Fur Dozy. We carry a bag in the park and the kid doing Nessie was like, we can't hold that for you. So I said, can you just put it over there? And he replied again that he couldn't watch it... Well, duh, I've known that for YEARS. But most people aren't going to take a big bag. Too noticeable. They take shoes and cups and stuff. He finally put it over the gate for me.

The first time I took my wife and daughter to BG. As we get off of the exit from 64 and Apollo's Chariot looms into view my daughter (10 at the time) just starts screaming "woo hoo! woo hoo!". First real coaster she's ever seen. We had Moby "Ooh Yeah" playing (one of my favorite songs) and everybody was just so happy and excited. I mean, that's like my Patronus moment:D

Phil; that is awesome. Perhaps if I could cast a Patronus Charm it would indeed be the Big bad Wolf. Too funny.

Swiftman said:
Well, the first one can never happen again. When I was there the other day, they told me that re-rides where no longer allowed. Ever.

That stinks. I don't see why you should have to get off if there isn't anyone waiting for the car you're in. I once rode the Drachen Fire 9 times before I had to get off. Of course, that was when I was a lot younger and dumber. I'd never try that now on any coaster.

I've had a couple different experiences this season when I haven't had to get off when no one was waiting. I used to ride Nessie over and over at night because no one would be in line for her, but now it's one extra and done, if that.

My mother's the one who needs to be dragged off the coasters! I have to laugh at some of the "coaster counts" I see because I know I've topped some of them in a single day. I wish I would've kept track from the beginning. We'll do Nessie 5 or 6 times in the morning before the rest of the park even opens, then head over to Italy and do the same thing with Apollo.

Good to know that they are allowing it again.

About my Coaster Count: In my defense, I haven't done any marathoning yet this year. Last Christmas Town I rode Griffon 20 times in a row at night in about 43 degree weather. (When I say in a row, I mean in a row. I got off, walked briskly to the entrance, and rode again... and again.) :cool:

I'm guessing there was some sort of directive about this. It seemed to be more of an issue at the beginning of the season. We were being told (almost always by someone with a "team leader" badge) that we had to get off and go around again even if there was no one in line. That seems to have greatly slacked off. Many times the operator is even asking if you'd like to stay on.

BTW, end of the night, Alpengeist and Pompeii are the usually the two best to be able to stay on multiple times. Never seems to be a line at either one late at night.

Pagey,

Well when I was about 8 or nine my folks just dropped my off at the park with my brother- morning till close in the summer. The only coasters there at the time were Loch and Wolf.. which we rode non-stop until the park kicked us out. Sometimes we may have played games in the arcade.. sometimes.

Now that I am older and have folks with me that are not as enthusiastic about theme parks and coaster as I; I doubt this wonderful time of my life (and my fondest memories of BGW) will ever happen again. Ah those late night moonlit or even no moon nights rides on the Wolf... my very, very favorite memories!

Come to think of it.. over the years - my coaster count for the Wolf had to be darn near 900 or more.. the Loch even more than that. hmmm... perhaps that is why I am so loopy! (ba dum bum.. crash! ;))

Just as an FYI though... downing other folks coaster counts is bad form me thinks. Alas, who am I to question today's youth. :s

It takes me about 4 hours to get to BG. My wife refuses to ride any coasters and I'm still trying to coax my daughter onto one with me. I don't want to ride all day and leave them standing around waiting for me to get off, so we kind of compromise. I basically get to go on 1 coaster ride per trip. Hopefully I'll be changing that soon. My daughter swears she's gonna go on LNM with me in August, and I'm sure it'll be contagious from that point. Then I've just gotta convert my wife:D

Phil, tell your daughter we are cheering for her to ride the Loch Ness and we have our fingers crossed you have at least one other coaster fan in your family. Keep us posted. :)

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad