Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
Just wondered if anyone here has ever, or plans on building a backyard coaster. I certainly plan on it, but will wait until I am at the place where I can do it "right," with all the bells and whistles, and have a lot more disposable income. My plans so far will probably involve a pneumatic or drive tire launch(s), with a relatively short height, but have zippy turns. A good model for how I want this ride to feel would be Juvelen in Denmark. Again, a track layout wont be established until I actually have land I own, not rent. I hope to build at least 2 two or three car trains, seating 8-12 people, with western theming throughout. In the meantime, I have picked out a soundtrack for the ride, based on numerous old western movies and American folk music. This is for both in queue and area music. The main source of music on the ride (yes, either on-ride, or beside track in certain spots) will be "Race to Durango" from TSFH. I have also done a fair amount of drawing creation already for basic design of the trains, track, station, and, you guessed it, control system. I would guess that I probably won't start actually acquiring anything for another 10-15 years or so, mainly due to having to first get land and money to actually build this. Anyways, anyone else here want to build their own ride someday/have already done it? Doesn't have to be as detailed, thorough, or expensive as my plans, but I'm just curious who else here is a BYRC engineer/engineering hopeful.

Reactions: AlpenChariot
On one hand, I’ve already mapped out a custom RMC raptor layout that would fit in my backyard (Alan Schilke make it happen), but since that will most likely not end up becoming a reality, I have also made concepts of a self made wood coaster, but the concept isn’t nearly as advanced as yours

On one hand, I’ve already mapped out a custom RMC raptor layout that would fit in my backyard (Alan Schilke make it happen), but since that will most likely not end up becoming a reality, I have also made concepts of a self made wood coaster, but the concept isn’t nearly as advanced as yours
1. RMC Single rail coasters are pretty cheap. At one point, Fred Grubb (RMC Owner) planned on a custom, reduced capacity model on his property in Idaho for his grandkids. Save your money, since its supposedly way more affordable than any other large coaster model out there. (No idea how much one would actually cost, just that they are not millions of dollars.)

2. I have been working on this already for about 4 years now, so I have had a lot of time to think about it.

I'd want to but the wife won't allow me. Also, I don't have the money or land. Figure I can figure out the carpentry aspect, but it wouldn't be available for public rides since it wouldn't likely pass a public safety inspection.

Bigger question is the concern for diversity - what if I want an airtime machine, and something else that resembles a blitz?

I'd want to but the wife won't allow me.
I hear you there! Thankfully, my wife has agreed on once we have the money and land, I can do it, but it can't be too tall. Hoping to be able to make use of natural terrain to make drops larger, so the track doesn't have to go more than 25' or so off the ground. Think I could talk her up to 40' if needed.

I hear you there! Thankfully, my wife has agreed on once we have the money and land, I can do it, but it can't be too tall. Hoping to be able to make use of natural terrain to make drops larger, so the track doesn't have to go more than 25' or so off the ground. Think I could talk her up to 40' if needed.

Really curious where you'd be able to build it since I'd guess there'd be building or zoning codes restricting it.

Really curious where you'd be able to build it since I'd guess there'd be building or zoning codes restricting it.
That would depend on the jurisdiction. My wife and I are planning on going out to the country once she finishes grad school and I would hope that wherever we end up would not have that many hurdles, especially for non-commercial use.

1. RMC Single rail coasters are pretty cheap. At one point, Fred Grubb (RMC Owner) planned on a custom, reduced capacity model on his property in Idaho for his grandkids. Save your money, since its supposedly way more affordable than any other large coaster model out there. (No idea how much one would actually cost, just that they are not millions of dollars.)

2. I have been working on this already for about 4 years now, so I have had a lot of time to think about it.
Would a scaled down raptor actually cost that little? I know that the clones cost $7 million, but even if this only has half the track length, wouldn’t needing to manufacture a custom layout cost a couple million?

Reactions: Coasternerd
Would a scaled down raptor actually cost that little? I know that the clones cost $7 million, but even if this only has half the track length, wouldn’t needing to manufacture a custom layout cost a couple million?
That's possible, but if you shorten the train, only have one so you don't need a separate storage track, do some work yourself (station construction, landscaping, etc) you could probably reduce the cost considerably.

That's possible, but if you shorten the train, only have one so you don't need a separate storage track, do some work yourself (station construction, landscaping, etc) you could probably reduce the cost considerably.
True. I would only have one train (and it would be shorter than other raptor trains: 4-6 seats versus 8) and I could totally do station and landscape myself

Reactions: ControlsEE
1. RMC Single rail coasters are pretty cheap... (just that they are not millions of dollars.)
Definitely incorrect on that front. I don't think there's been a confirmed price for one, but I've heard both $3m and $5m. Not dirt cheap by any means, but inexpensive in the coaster world and for what they provide.

What's the possibility of enough folks on here were to buy some land and start a real park somewhere?

Think of how awesome it could be - with the right investors and growth strategy, maybe we could build the rides we want and have the shows and food and ambience and everything else.

Though to be fair, if anyone actually goes through with building a backyard coaster, please provide a POV!

I have given thought to a more simple shuttle coaster, using a drive wheel. Would be more like battering ram, but with tracks instead of a swing. It would fit in the yard I have now, so long as my landlord agrees...

I have given thought to a more simple shuttle coaster, using a drive wheel. Would be more like battering ram, but with tracks instead of a swing. It would fit in the yard I have now, so long as my landlord agrees...
Getting approval seems to be the big hurdle with most of these projects. I’d have to get neighborhood and state approval to build my dream

Hence the 'going to the country' you mentioned earlier - though after a point I'd think you would have more difficulties getting supplies in than permitting (environmental would be a concern anywhere I'd think).

Reactions: DECoasteyGuy
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This was my wooden coaster that lasted from 2010-2016. I continued to add track to it as the funding and materials came in. It was a very easy track to build with only running wheels and side guide wheels. I do not have pictures of the cart. It's long gone. It never got higher than 3 feet off the ground but, because of the falling terrain, it got up to 15 mph when the wheels were nice and oiled!

The cart also had the ability to turn backwards which provided quite a thrilling ride flying past trees. Night rides were amazing! The whole thing was quite the party trick.

Not coasters but there was a guy in Roanoke VA that had a ferris wheel, gravitron and several other carnival rides in his backyard. He eventually had to remove them due to zoning laws. I had some pics of the rides but unfortunately I can't find them. I did find an article about it though.

I built a backyard coaster for my daughters when they were much younger. It was probably 1/10 the length of AIR's much more impressive build. Although I got video (which I don't share due to it having my and others' kids in it), stupidly I took no decent pictures, thinking I would make it longer later and therefore should wait for photo ops until it was "done." That never happened.

Even at my very small scale, the biggest reasons for taking it down after about a year were (1) maintenance, as it's carrying little kids and there is no real way to protect the thing from weather and the demands of regular upkeep, and (2) liability, as other kids had easy access to climb on it and mess with it, even when the cart was locked in the garage to prevent its use. One kid wanted to bring some cart or wagon of his own and run it down the track. The littlest kids (maybe 2 years old) always had parent supervision, but some of the older neighborhood kids would just run around wherever and make poor decisions on others' property.

Down it came. Fun while it lasted. We got my mom on it once. On that day I silently considered, but did not propose out loud, naming the thing "The Rippin' Retiree."

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad