Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
No, I am not kidding.  Tomorrow (11 October) there will be a Red Cross babysitting course at WCUSA.

Babysitter’s training provides participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and responsibly care for children and infants.  This one day training course will help participants to develop leadership skills and learn how to develop a babysitting business. There are no prerequisites for this course. This course runs from 9:00-3:00 or 12:00-6:00 with a lunch break. Please bring lunch or lunch money.    

Recommended ages 11-15

Students will learn:
Care: Bottle feed, spoon feed and diaper changing
Recognition: Identify life-threatening versus non-life-threatening conditions and know who to contact in case of an emergency
Response: Know how to check for consciousness, choking and basic First Aid
Leadership: Role modeling, respect and behavior management

Edit: from the Facebook page, which seems to have different information than the WCUSA site:

Did you know the American Red Cross offers a one-day training course for aspiring baby-sitters at our very own Water Country USA? The class is 10 am - 4 pm on Oct. 11 and is instructed by certified ARC Babysitting instructors. This one-day training course will help participants to develop leadership skills and learn how to develop a babysitting business. Visit http://bit.ly/1uz3jzl to sign up!

The Red Cross commonly offers babysitting certification classes in a variety of places. It teaches things like child CPR, basic first aid, care skills, etc. They always cost that much, and they are always open to preteens who might WANT to babysit some day or occasionally look after their younger siblings. The certification lasts for (I think) 3 years. This isn't really different from the swimming lessons that happen at WCUSA. I can't believe that none of you have ever heard of Red Cross babysitting classes.

Well I've never heard of Red Cross babysitting classes. I've never heard of a "certified" babysitter either and I certainly have never heard of anyone aspiring to be a babysitter. I used to babysit my cousins and I wasn't certified and they turned out okay. Well one of my cousins is about to turn 40 and he thinks he's a Viking but that's beside the point.

Hawth said:
Well I've never heard of Red Cross babysitting classes. I've never heard of a "certified" babysitter either and I certainly have never heard of anyone aspiring to be a babysitter. I used to babysit my cousins and I wasn't certified and they turned out okay. Well one of my cousins is about to turn 40 and he thinks he's a Viking but that's beside the point.
A person who aspires to be a babysitter is called a Nanny. Many people with extra $ hire them to take care of their kids so that they have more time to get other things done while not just simply ignoring their children. The 'certified' part is important to them. Who would want their Nanny/babysitter to sit and watch a kid choke to death instead of have the knowledge to save them? The class is important and is a requirement for most parents that hire people in this business.

While a babysitter and nanny share some similar duties, they are not the same thing. A nanny has more responsibilities than a babysitter. Many nannies are very offended when called babysitters. Like this nanny.

I do know a lot has changed since I used to watch my cousins back in the early 80s. I understand that today's parents want someone with more training to watch their kids. Nowadays kids have softer skulls which is evident by the fact that they can't ride a bike or anything else without a helmet.

Ha! Woops...I got my terminology backwards. What I meant to say.... A person who aspires to be a Nanny later in life, would be called a babysitter. Sort-of like a babysitter = Amateur and Nanny = Professional. Either way, both should know some basic emergency care.

Nicole said:
I had a nanny.  She was way more than a babysitter.

Mom, dad and I were talking about Rhonda just the other day. Not sure if that was the nanny you were thinking of, I know there were some before her, but she was somthing else.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad