Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 23, 2009
There was an attempted hack of this website today that was luckily caught by my hosting provider before any real damage could be done. The fact that this hack took place makes me wonder whether or not the issues the site has been having in the past few days were due to this person.

I'm not outlining what steps I've taken and will continue to take to prevent this from happening again in the future, but I can assure you that I am creating daily backups of the entire forum as well as the entire website. So you don't have to worry about losing your posts if this were to happen again.

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
Is that possibly why the site has been taking forever to ping back when I try loading pages. It might just have been my network.

Sep 23, 2009
Could be. I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of the hack was supposed to be, but hopefully that door is closed for now.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
That's a real shame. We haven't even made anyone mad yet... :D

Just so you know, I am using Pingdom Desktop Notifier to keep tabs on the site and I tweet you whenever it goes down. I'm guessing that this is the downtime that happened around 8 am?

Also, I'm glad to hear that you are making backups. There are things that are here that I would never be able to find on my own.

Sep 28, 2009
Virginia
Chris, it is darn shame that some folks have nothing else better to do with their lives than hack into a forum. :( Glad it was caught in time, we would have lost some great info had the site gone down.

Sep 23, 2009
It looks like this was an attack on one particular file which is responsible for what is displayed when a thread is clicked. I don't think the passwords were compromised, but I you want to change yours, you're obviously more than welcome to.

Nov 26, 2009
Ik I tried getting on the site, and I kept refreshing and it said the Page could not be displayed. And before that it took like 30 min.s to post a post.

{Update}

I am looking at the BGW website and it won't load. I keep refreshing it and I have to refresh it 10 million times before it shows the website and when it shows the pictures don't load and everything is out of order. Maybe it is being hacked too, Just a thought, what do you think???

Fur Dozy

Mayor of Busch Gardens Tampillsburg
Nov 5, 2009
it was up as of 11:00. both of them. Let me try a back door
[UPDATE]
used a back door. tampa is up. looking for Williamsburg.
[UPDATE]
it's up but it looks bad.

Nov 26, 2009
It's not just that it looks bad, but the interactive park map won't load nor will any pictures, so all you can do is read.

{Update}
Site is acting a little better, interactive map still won't download.
{Update}
It keeps giving me this: 'Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password'
{Update}
BGW site is working fine as of 2:47 EST. However I'm not so sure about BGWFans.com. I tried getting to this site and it said something about contact site manager for help or something.

Nov 25, 2009
Florida
It's a shame that people will hack websites just because they can. There are all sorts of folks out there who target CMS based sites that have a weakness.

Back when Awesome Badness was around, it was hacked three nights in a row. Boy, was it fun trying to recover files and such.

Glad to see the site survived the attack and that nothing was lost!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad