Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
It was asphalt, but not exactly like Kings Dominion. It changed over to aggregate pretty early when it was still called the Old Country. Here is a link to a photo showing the original 1975 asphalt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=175938945892959&set=a.175938482559672.1073741830.149401725213348&type=3&theater

Nora said:
It was asphalt, but not exactly like Kings Dominion. It changed over to aggregate pretty early when it was still called the Old Country. Here is a link to a photo showing the original 1975 asphalt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=175938945892959&set=a.175938482559672.1073741830.149401725213348&type=3&theater

Ugh... looks like it was plopped down on a parking lot.

Reactions: Zachary
This is actually really interesting, I had always been under the impression the park never used asphalt. I am glad to see they made the switch, their current pathways math the park's natural beauty. Also, the aggregate makes me think of a dirt pathway, that you would probably likely find in some of the areas it is used in the park like Scotland. This is why I prefer the concrete. You can stamp it such as in England or have the aggregate to better theme and enhance the overall look and feel of a location; whereas with asphalt you can only help but think of parking lots and roads.

Reactions: Gareth
That does not look as bad as the other photo. Probably because of the landscaping.

Reactions: Jrbgwfan06
The other thing I wish to bring notice to is that the current aggregate ground cover is sectioned in panels all over the park.

Instead of patching up potholes in asphalt that looks horrid after a few years; the sections allow an easy fix of removing one section and re-pouring a new pad.

Look around next time you are in the park and see if one panel looks newer than another. It is a great solution to keeping the park looking beautiful and well maintained.

Thanks Nora that's what I thought. I've always liked the whole setup around Big Ben, especially the pathways.

Nora said:
There used to be flat asphalt around it, but that area is now shaped to look like textured brick and painted gray.

Interesting I always thought that it was real brick. That's smart of BGW to reuse what they have around it already. Instead of stripping it out, and laying real brick down. I'll have to observe that the next time I go.

I took this photo recently (last Saturday) because the sidewalk was a little worn and I thought it needed someone to fix it. Ironically, it serves another purpose now.

Here is a close-up of England's walkway as it is today.

Attachments

• IMG_5707.JPG
    IMG_5707.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 61
Nora said:
The other thing I wish to bring notice to is that the current aggregate ground cover is sectioned in panels all over the park.

Instead of patching up potholes in asphalt that looks horrid after a few years; the sections allow an easy fix of removing one section and re-pouring a new pad.

Look around next time you are in the park and see if one panel looks newer than another. It is a great solution to keeping the park looking beautiful and well maintained.

Something like this? This is in Oktoberfest (near Darkastle) where you can clearly see how they have added new panels to the area (from Street View).

Attachments

• Ground pic.JPG
    Ground pic.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 49
It also seems Kings Dominion has learned their lesson with asphalt. Old Virginia and the Grove look just awful with all those patches and cracks...those new pavers they've brought in are great. Is there anywhere that BG uses pavers..?...they are very pretty, but they don't seem to fit the nature of the park as well. Huh.

Kings Dominion is going to regret those pavers once they start to sink in randomly and when weeds start growing through the cracks.

Reactions: Mushroom
Nora said:
The red cobblestone path- correct. There used to be flat asphalt around it, but that area is now shaped to look like textured brick and painted gray. The red walkway is still there though.

Okay, so let me get this straight. Currently, in England the only concrete is the stamped brick concrete painted red; while the gray stamped concrete was originally asphalt but was replaced by said gray painted and stamped concrete?

What about France?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad