Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 21, 2017
Just read on Screamscape that Anaconda will be the next to go. Wonder if they will fill that lake in?

Maybe for demolition once there's a replacement ready to go, unlikely they're going to fill in Lake Charles unless they're either terraforming for a new attraction or building a new section of the park.

I could be wrong but I think Lake Charles’ status as an environmentally protected wetland means it’s safe from being removed. Does anyone know for sure whether that’s true?

That said, even though I think I’m far from alone in believing Anaconda is now by far Kings Dominion’s worst coaster (with the demise of the other two members of the “Terrible Three,” Shockwave and Hurler), I think it would be a huge mistake to remove the coaster anytime soon without an immediate and incredible replacement lined up. The park seems to be getting a ton of (somewhat unwarranted, in my opinion) flack for having removed several coasters in the past few years, and adding another one to the list won’t help that image. Plus, especially with Volcano gone, Safari Village can’t afford to lose another coaster anytime soon.

I think the biggest shame of Volcano’s sudden demise, even more than the loss of the mountain, is that its removal has completely thrown KD’s 5 year plan right out the window. In my perfect world, Anaconda should be gearing up to go to join the other 2/3 of Lake Charles in the big amusement park in the sky, but that’s been completely derailed with the gaping hole left by Volcano’s death.

You know a ride that starts at the Volcano location and then jumps to the Anaconda location wouldn't be that far of a stretch.

You know a ride that starts at the Volcano location and then jumps to the Anaconda location wouldn't be that far of a stretch.
While not impossible I think that highly unlikely. There is to much walkway in the way and building like that would further isolate Flight of Fear and i305 I just don't see it happening. Also I don't see it as likely that the park gets a ride of that size I find it far more likely that we end up with something more along the lines of copperhead strike then another behemoth. If they are going to build something large I much rather see it at the dino site to give the park a more balanced and even feel to it. Also I feel like the idea of loosing to coasters to get one is s bad idea.

I could be wrong but I think Lake Charles’ status as an environmentally protected wetland means it’s safe from being removed. Does anyone know for sure whether that’s true?

That said, even though I think I’m far from alone in believing Anaconda is now by far Kings Dominion’s worst coaster (with the demise of the other two members of the “Terrible Three,” Shockwave and Hurler), I think it would be a huge mistake to remove the coaster anytime soon without an immediate and incredible replacement lined up. The park seems to be getting a ton of (somewhat unwarranted, in my opinion) flack for having removed several coasters in the past few years, and adding another one to the list won’t help that image. Plus, especially with Volcano gone, Safari Village can’t afford to lose another coaster anytime soon.

I think the biggest shame of Volcano’s sudden demise, even more than the loss of the mountain, is that its removal has completely thrown KD’s 5 year plan right out the window. In my perfect world, Anaconda should be gearing up to go to join the other 2/3 of Lake Charles in the big amusement park in the sky, but that’s been completely derailed with the gaping hole left by Volcano’s death.

Joe, keep in mind that "Lake Charles" was a man-made body of water created roughly around 1973-1974. The lake was fed by natural springs in that area. I have never heard nor seen what the land looked like before the construction of KD. Whether there was a natural pond or swampland where the original lake stood is unknown. The body of water, visible to the GP when the park opened 1975, was formed/shaped by the construction work done within the previous 2 years.

Joe, keep in mind that "Lake Charles" was a man-made body of water created roughly around 1973-1974. The lake was fed by natural springs in that area. I have never heard nor seen what the land looked like before the construction of KD. Whether there was a natural pond or swampland where the original lake stood is unknown. The body of water, visible to the GP when the park opened 1975, was formed/shaped by the construction work done within the previous 2 years.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.08.29 AM.png

Listing of PUBHx:
P - Palustrine. Non-tidal (doesn't connect to ocean waters), as well as smaller than 20 acres, a basin not created by waves, deepest part 8.2 feet or less, salinity less than 0.5ppt
UB - Unconsolidated Bottom. At least 25% is covered by particles smaller than 7cm, and vegetation covers less than 30%.
H - Permanently Flooded. Water is in it year round.
x - Excavated. Was dug out by humans.

Putting this all together what does it mean? Lake Charles is a rain water drainage pond that was built by humans that has water in it year round.

Ah that makes sense. Now that I think about it, I remember the park posting a picture of the lake totally drained while the painted the ride for the 40th anniversary!

That said, I hope that whenever Anaconda bites the dust, Lake Charles is spared, and hopefully gets spruced up a bit. If they put in a decent sized fountain to keep the water flowing and trim back the foliage around the water, Lake Charles could be a pleasant landmark for that corner of the park.

Given that Vortex is 5 years older than the Anaconda, I would think KD will keep the ride open until whatever attraction(s) is (are) built on the Volcano / Lost World site. I am willing to bet (25 cents) that Anaconda's last season will be the first season of the new Safari Village attraction(s). So, I give the ride another 2-3 years of operation.

I wouldn't miss Anaconda, but I wouldn't be happy that they don't replace it for a very long time, if at all. And I don't think it's that unlikely that they'd tear it down before the Volcana replacement is in place. They just did that with Vortex/Orion and they probably view it as a way to boost attendance for a month as people come for last rides.

Unless they don't plan on using the Volcano space anytime soon - the Anaconda space in my mind is much more valuable as it's much larger.

Honestly, I would like to see a really good woody added as part of the space with some interplay on R75 - wooden rides really help KD stand out since BGW is catching up on Intamin launchers.

Honestly, I would like to see a really good woody added as part of the space with some interplay on R75 - wooden rides really help KD stand out since BGW is catching up on Intamin launchers.
Minor quibble: they've already caught up to KD's zero. I'd say BGW is pulling ahead on Intamin launchers, and then quite possibly pulling farther ahead a short time later.

I grew up riding KD's wooden coasters, and would love to see another one there in a classic style. I don't personally believe CF will necessarily see another traditional wooden coaster as the best bet among all possible options to bring in the crowds, but they do have a fairly recent data point at KI, so... [shrug]

Kinda want to preserve the visual openness of the lake, or what's left of it. I think my magic wand would drop a wooden ride in Volcano's old spot.

I second this opinion. I would absolutely love it if they put in a big Gravity Group like Voyage.

Minor quibble: they've already caught up to KD's zero. I'd say BGW is pulling ahead on Intamin launchers, and then quite possibly pulling farther ahead a short time later.

I grew up riding KD's wooden coasters, and would love to see another one there in a classic style. I don't personally believe CF will necessarily see another traditional wooden coaster as the best bet among all possible options to bring in the crowds, but they do have a fairly recent data point at KI, so... [shrug]

Kinda want to preserve the visual openness of the lake, or what's left of it. I think my magic wand would drop a wooden ride in Volcano's old spot.

I guess I should have just left it at Intamin.

Considering KD's excellent job at maintaining Hurler, and their other two woodies after converting Hurler, I wouldn't want to give them another wooden coaster of any notable size.

As much as the park is loved for their woodies, they have not done that good of a job taking care of them.

How so? Grizzly definitely feels rough lately, but doesn’t Racer have pretty much completely new track at this point?

How so? Grizzly definitely feels rough lately, but doesn’t Racer have pretty much completely new track at this point?

Only on a 500 or so foot segment on the way out. The rest of the track hasn't been touched since the 40th anniversary touch-ups. Gravity Group did it and if you ever got a chance to look in that area there was a lot of additional reinforcement put into the first drop.

Spinning back to Anaconda, I do think it will be the next coaster on the block but I don't think they will take the lake with it. Cedar Fair doesn't seem willing enough to have a major landscaping project like that considering their new focus on entertainment offerings. Maybe a compact coaster will run alongside i305? Maybe its replacement won't be in that specific spot but somewhere else instead?

Reactions: Mushroom
I hope they won’t leave the footers visible out there on the lake’s surface.

Maybe the tunnel can be repurposed as a children’s play place? Big sandbox? Lost children center?

Long ago, I was able to get some time with Arrow’s Director of Engineering, Dal Freeman, to chat about a wide variety of topics. Anaconda’s tunnel happened to be one of those topics. He noted Arrow engineers had come up with ideas to make the tunnel something more than just a concrete box with a couple of water blasters. One of these ideas was to have a fixed volume of water contained in the bottom of the tunnel, which would be pumped up to the top of the walls and then pour in again to give the illusion that the lake was filling the tunnel as riders plunged into it. I had imagined the same idea, as had many others — so it was interesting to hear that it had come up seriously at Arrow. Ultimately, of course, budgets and low appetites for a more complicated total system won out. Concrete box. Still, cool ideas.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad