Login or Register to Hide This Ad
I hate both the hard OTSRs and B&Ms vest restraints. Because of my height, the former hits my head (and like @CoasterTalkBob, I am perfectly aware of the solutions that work for people with longer torsos than mine), and the latter feel as if they are trying to crush me like the old Stitch ride in Tomorrowland.

I don’t understand why the clever B&M engineers can’t find a comfortable solution. If Intamin, a company known for trying to murder its riders, has designed vests that don’t hurt, why can’t the coaster company most often identified with smooth, often forceless experiences?
I'll still give you a like regardless of the Intamin comments 😂
I think headbanging is pretty easy to avoid on this ride. That was my take, not sure how that ignores the rest of what you said. If you personally have to strain your neck to avoid headbanging, then I can see why it isn't comfortable for you. Me personally, I don't strain my neck. I have told some friends for their first time to hold their head up through the first half and to try to stick towards the front of the train, just my advice for riding it. Not sure how that is me ignoring your post.
This is what kind of triggered me. I specifically explained that I was aware of what everyone says and I explained that the solutions don't work for me but you decided to explain them anyway. Sure, I can avoid the headbanging but them I'm worse off because I have a worse headache stemming from my neck.

Throwing my hat into the ring as someone who loathes the B&M vests. I legitimately find them to be far less comfortable on-ride than the hard B&M OSTRs. I will happily admit that both suck in their own ways, but I DEFINITELY prefer the hard ones.

Ultimately, I think everyone would enthusiastically agree that B&M needs to design some actually good OSTRs like so many other manufacturers have in the last ten years.
My first few times on B&M vests were rough because I felt like I couldn't breathe and was worried that if we got stuck I'd be thrown into a panic attack.... genuine concerns. Oddly though my subsequent times I really didn't have that experience at all -- even on the same rides. I know some were modified but I think there is also a subconscious adjustment that many people naturally make -- I'm not sure what it is. Interestingly my first was Banshee which was horrible and James' first was Wild Eagle which was horrible so each of us was really worried about getting on the opposite ride and each of us actually found the opposite ride to be fine. I don't fully understand the dynamics of it..... all I know is I'd take that over the headbanging because at least with the vests any pain/worry I experience will 100% go away when I get off but the OTSRs will often leave me sitting rides out for a half hour or more.

But yea, you're absolutely right -- they really should figure something out. Basically everyone has comfortable restraints now except for B&M. Just adapt the clamshells for the loopers and be done with it 🤣

Reactions: Nicole

Ice

↑%
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
Baltimore, MD
This is what kind of triggered me. I specifically explained that I was aware of what everyone says and I explained that the solutions don't work for me but you decided to explain them anyway. Sure, I can avoid the headbanging but them I'm worse off because I have a worse headache stemming from my neck.
I get the misunderstanding, but I wasn't trying to "explain it to you anyway". Just as you can come out and say that no matter what you do you either walk away with a headbanging issue or a neck issue, it is equally valid for me to say oh I don't have headbanging issues when I stick towards the front and hold my head up (didn't even mention anything about neck issues). That is not me saying "you're wrong, try this, bet you haven't tried this, oh try this, blah blah blah" as I am sure you have heard a million times, but I can see why you'd assume that was my intent. My personal feeling is a lot of the roughness of this ride is overstated by a lot of people, but at the end of the day it is not my place to invalidate your personal experience, and as such did not set out to do that.

It's like me saying I get "triggered" when people complain Alpie gives them headbanging issues when I have said over and over again how I personally avoid it. Kinda silly, considering every person will have a different experience depending on a ton of things.

Anyways, the more important part of my post:
All OTSRs suck ass.
Ur mom is an OTSR.
youtube supa hot fire GIF

I get the misunderstanding, but I wasn't trying to "explain it to you anyway". Just as you can come out and say that no matter what you do you either walk away with a headbanging issue or a neck issue, it is equally valid for me to say oh I don't have headbanging issues when I stick towards the front and hold my head up (didn't even mention anything about neck issues). That is not me saying "you're wrong, try this, bet you haven't tried this, oh try this, blah blah blah" as I am sure you have heard a million times, but I can see why you'd assume that was my intent. My personal feeling is a lot of the roughness of this ride is overstated by a lot of people, but at the end of the day it is not my place to invalidate your personal experience, and as such did not set out to do that.
Yea, it just didn't come across to me the way you intended. I will say this -- I don't think Alpie is rough at all. Hell, the only coaster that I will never ride again (Firebird) is one of the smoothest -- it's just about the movement of the train and the restraints. I honestly don't think that B&M loopers are far off from Arrow Loopers..... I mean there are differences, for sure, but the same basic issue exists in both.

Brambo

Cyberdyne Systems Software Engineer
Oct 31, 2019
Virginia Beach, VA
Are they planning on finishing the rest of the supports? Seems like they just kinda stopped. Granted, it seems like most of the remaining supports are in guest facing areas, so maybe they are just waiting until the end of the busy season to start back up?

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Apr 18, 2022
anyone ever thought about how dope it would be if they replaced this with a free spin called alpenflip? It could be a hyper S&S free spin!

i want to be a coaster engineer one day and if i ever was this would be the first thing i would do, now whos with me!

Jan 25, 2019
I really wish for alpengeists 30th that they retrack it to bring it back to its former glory..
Are they currently painting the track or just the supports? I honestly haven’t been able to tell in any of the pictures. Would think a track replacement isn’t in its future if they’re painting the current track.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Are they currently painting the track or just the supports? I honestly haven’t been able to tell in any of the pictures. Would think a track replacement isn’t in its future if they’re painting the current track.
The last two weeks the only work I have seen has been on the white track and spine but the whole thing is being done.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad