Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Horrible tragedy.

I'm curious what the investigation inspection will find - this has not been a good year for news of amusement park accidents.

It will be interesting to lean what happened. Another Dreamworld tragedy perhaps?

EDIT: Looking up the Wikipedia article on Adventureland, it lists Intamin as the manufacturer for this ride, which I believe the Dreamworld Park built their ride based on the Intamin rides. I'm guessing that Intamin will want to figure out what happened to see if their other rapids rides need any safety upgrades.

Last edited:
Could be anything - freak deflation event, more water running than designed for, rafts not weighted correctly, etc.

Most of those seem clustered around 99 it makes me wonder if there haven't been changes made to the rides to make them significantly safer since then or if the site is just not updated regularly.

Nope. Ride Accidents just stopped updating that page.

Efteling's capsized in 2003:

They indexted 2 rapids ride capsizes in 2006:

Alabama Adventure's flipped again in 2009:

The website stopped updating their yearly indexes in 2012.

Additionally, if you follow the Wikipedia link, you will see two more:

On 25 October 2016, a malfunction of the Thunder River Rapids Ride at Dreamworld in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, resulted in the deaths of four people. Two were ejected from the ride and two were trapped in the conveyor belt under it...

On 9 May 2017, an 11-year-old girl, Evha Jannath fell into the water on the Splash Canyon Ride at Drayton Manor Theme Park in Staffordshire, England at around 2:20pm. She was airlifted to Birmingham Children's Hospital but died later in the hospital due to the extent of her injuries.

Reactions: Zachary
Additionally, if you follow the Wikipedia link, you will see two more:
I thought the dreamworld one was not built by intamin, but rather the park, copying the intamin design. Either way I know that they determined that the safety system was not properly designed to stop the ride in case of emergency and that there were a lot of operational failures that could have prevented that particular tragedy.

I don't really enjoy these rides, because I don't really like getting soaked when in street clothes (and shoes), but I have ridden them on occasion for some reason. I really think I am just going to stop all together. I didn't know there were so many accidents with them over the years. That's not encouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad