Addition of an Indoor Section

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Feb 3, 2019
What does temperature have to do with getting pneumonia. A person's exposure to cold air does not cause illness.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
It’s the blow drying thing that gets me. I have longish hair for a guy, but it’s thick enough to stay wet for 2-3 hours after without. Men’s rooms don’t have blow driers so that means lugging mine all around. Yea no that’s not happening.
I doubt most female public changing areas with showers have hair dryers as well, and if they do they're not likely to work very well. And I would seriously doubt wcusa would have hair dryers for your convenience. (and if they do, somebody correct me. I haven't been since they added HHW)

They have this wonderful invention called a hat. It keeps your head warm in winter.

If all you're doing is leaving and going back to your hotel to take a proper shower, who cares about a little hat head.

Seriously. I didn't know this whole being wet in winter thing was any deal breaker at all...
Okay well first of all, when the weather starts getting cooler I don't mind putting on a hat with my wet hair. but in the cold, having wet hair and a hat, means pressing said wet hair closer to my face. Which now means I'm getting colder. Now my hat is damp/wet which it now also needs to dry. This also being said I'm local, so I'm not likely to stay in a hotel up in the Williamsburg area to begin with. So it's a 45 minute to an hour drive back home before I'd get a shower to wash my hair and the rest of me. I threw out the fact that GWL is right there because - as a local- I have visited the place for a weekend trip. Some people do leave the hotel for Williamsburg's other attractions, but for us we were there specifically for the resort itself and what it had to offer.

As far getting sick goes, no cold air won't make you sick but the cold allows for that bacteria to grow. And if somebody is more easily prone to getting sick, that -and having that cold amplified through wetness- is gonna make it far easier for them to get sick.

Either way, I originally said that this was my opinion, in my second post about the subject. There are those, like you, who are free to disagree with me on this. Some people don't care, and that's fine - good for them. But, I do care because my cold tolerance has gotten worse, and I know several people who are also severely cold intolerant, where the idea of swimming may sound like a good idea with the nice heated pool, but the walk back to the car after being all warm and wet is not a fun time.

Mar 16, 2016
But, I do care because my cold tolerance has gotten worse, and I know several people who are also severely cold intolerant, where the idea of swimming may sound like a good idea with the nice heated pool, but the walk back to the car after being all warm and wet is not a fun time.
I agree with this even as a crazy northerner who does hot tubs in snow storms.

Feb 3, 2019
As far getting sick goes, no cold air won't make you sick but the cold allows for that bacteria to grow.
Sorry to dispute you on this, but no.

This is wrong. In a lab when they grow bacteria, do they put it in a freezer to encourage it to grow better? Most definitely not.

Cold air is not ideal temps for bacteria growth.

Gavin

It’s me, a ParkFan.
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Spotsylvania, Virginia
As someone who loves the cold (to the point that I’ve worn shorts to CT), I think going to a indoor waterpark in the winter is insane. I’ve even worked at Massanutten in the winter, and from what I’ve been told, the vast majority of their winter waterpark admissions are people that are staying on the resort. In my opinion, investing in an indoor section for WCUSA is just wasting money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
@Jahrules I honestly do not give a shit how bacteria grows, the point of the matter is somebody who is prone to being sick doesn't like the idea of going to an indoor water park in winter because leaving wet is likely to agitate them and cause them to get sick again, prolly worse than the first time around because pneumonia isn't something to fuck around with.

It doesn't stop the fact that this is a reason why we don't want to go to an indoor water park in the middle of winter. The idea sounds good on paper, but in reality isn't very practical at all.

Feb 3, 2019
I guess I just have to face that the general public in this area seem to have strong believes in the science grandma taught and not actual facts.

Somehow indoor waterparks work in Wisconsin and the population hasn't all died off to illness. Imagine that.

Mar 16, 2016
Being wet and cold weakens the immune system
Which leads to getting a cold or the flu
When I get the cold or flu, I'm suspect to respiratory infections
Respiratory infections usually result in fluid to mucus in the lungs
Flu and mucus in the lungs result in pneumonia

Going out into the cold with wetness, no matter how brief, creates issues for me.

Mar 16, 2016
Anyways, pulling back onto the topic, the hard part about indoor waterparks is you have to get the indoor part close to the parking. So that's spot number one to do something. Then there needs to be indoor facilities, indoor food options, staffing for year round. That's a very deep expense for them.

b.mac

Wild Mouse Nerd
May 14, 2011
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
The Dells has also been an established tourist trap in the Midwest similar to that of Branson, Missouri and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.

Williamsburg doesn't have that, and even with BGW expanding Christmastown it's going to be a very long time for the Historic Triangle to establish a year round tourism impact.

Reactions: Zimmy and Zachary

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
It's silly to me that there's a debate about whether or not a large fraction of the population doesn't want to deal with going to a water park in the winter. That just seems like a given.

The fact that day tickets to Great Wolf Lodge haven't really taken off amongst the locals (from what I've seen), seems like another red flag to me.

Great Wolf wouldn't be SEAS' only local competitor in this space either. Growing up, I went to the Fort Eustis Aquatics Center when it was too cold for Water Country USA. Even today, they charge a measly $5 for public admission.

It seems to me that Great Wolf's single day tickets cover the teen and up demographic and things like Fort Eustis's Aquatics Center already cater to the younger segment of the market. It just seems like a low-demand, already-catered-to market in my opinion.

Reactions: Nicole
Mar 16, 2016
Also I don’t care who knows this: blow drying my hair means I take the time to style it. When I style it my hair looks nicer. When it looks nicer I present a better version of myself. And it makes me feel really good about myself too.
Also yes, I'm quoting myself.

I didn't used to do this, but thank you Tan France. That's all.

Anyways, If BGW wants a cheap fast expansion, another lazy river (actual one not wear vests one), a 'splash zone', and an uncharge 'action watersports' are is the quick and easy way.

Reactions: Nicole

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
I guess I just have to face that the general public in this area seem to have strong believes in the science grandma taught and not actual facts.

Somehow indoor waterparks work in Wisconsin and the population hasn't all died off to illness. Imagine that.
Alright stop nitpicking. You're clearly mad that we're not bending to your logic and idea because of our personal reasons, which is why you're now targeting something specific such as how viruses spread. (Again I really don't give a shit) My reason for not wanting it isn't because I will get sick. It's because I don't fucking like the cold. I left the subject open enough originally for others to state their opinions on the matter, whether they agreed or disagreed. I never said my reasoning was the end all, be all. It's just my personal views. But you kept harping on the fact that a few of us had our reasons for not liking the idea of being wet and cold, and even tried to insult us. So where does that get you in your quest to try and get people to like your idea? It's just gotten you angrier and hasn't convinced me of a damn thing.

Feb 3, 2019
Okay I’ve moved on from the winter thing..

But I still think an indoor area isn’t an outlandish idea.

When I talk to the GP about WCUSA I inevitably end up hearing “why would you want to go out there in the heat?”. And to an extent, I get their point.

The water is cool sure, but when you’re standing in a 30+ minute line in your bathing suit in the heat; that isn’t particularly pleasant.

So having an indoor area could be pretty popular; especially on the hottest days.

Now at the same time, It could be argued that a better solution to the hot line problem would be to have some sort of wristband system like universal florida. I believe they have some sort of exclusivity agreement for the technology for a while. (But I don’t have evidence of this; it’s just my assumption).

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Newport News, VA
twitter.com
When I talk to the GP about WCUSA I inevitably end up hearing “why would you want to go out there in the heat?”. And to an extent, I get their point.

The water is cool sure, but when you’re standing in a 30+ minute line in your bathing suit in the heat; that isn’t particularly pleasant.

So having an indoor area could be pretty popular; especially on the hottest days.
Adding some fans and shade structures to the queues seems like a far cheaper solution to this problem than building a second water park indoors.

Oct 18, 2012
I'm not sure that the current goal is, in fact, to move to 365-day operations at BGW. Regardless, with Great Wolf just up the street, does a massive investment in an indoor waterpark really make financial sense, especially with CW closed during some of the winter months?
CW was closed in January 2018 for retraining. It was open in January of 2019 and is currently operating 365 days a year. Programs are greatly reduced (especially evening ones) from after the holiday season to spring break, but I assume IF tourism warranted they would increase their offerings.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad