Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 23, 2009
North Carolina
So are any of you members of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE)? Specifically of the Virginia region?

We're going to rejoin so we can be involved in anything they get to do for the Carowinds Intimidator opening, but we're in the South region. Virginia is it's own region and we'd love to do whatever they plan with the Kings Dominion I305 opening. KD's not that far of a drive for us, about the same as getting to BGW, actually. :D Granted, Carowinds is closer (around 2 hrs), but we really are coaster enthusiasts and would like to be involved in the opening of all the ones around us. If we have the info far enough in advance, we'd probably be able to make a weekday run up there.

Wings

in The Vault
Sep 28, 2009
New York
Nor am I, and I've never heard the ACE. Regardless, I'm not much of a coaster enthusiast anyway, I'm still working my way up.

Sep 28, 2009
Virginia
Ah ~ I have always looked at those in those ACE Coaster jackets with envy... much like I wanted so bad to have that stupid green Girl Scout jacket with tons of patches. My mom never allowed me to join the Girl Scouts; I have no excuse not to try to join ACE. Although, now that I am married, I have to try to wrangle my husband to support me in the effort.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
Last week, Behind the Thrills published an editorial on the motivations behind the renaming of Kings Dominion's 43 year old racing wooden roller coaster Rebel Yell to rACEr75. While the main topic of the article is how the name change was politically and racially motivated, they briefly discuss the founding of ACE and how Kings Dominion is seemingly taking credit for the founding of the organization when it was in fact founded 40 years ago after an event at Busch Gardens Williamsburg honoring the opening of the record breaking The Loch Ness Monster.

Behind the Thrills said:
And if you want to get technical (and enthusiasts are all about technical) the people who started ACE, Roy Brashears, Paul Greenwald, and Richard Munch, met at Kings Dominion during a promo event for the movie Rollercoaster. The promo was held on Rebel Yell in 1977.

The next year, in 1978 a roller coaster event was held at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It was after THAT event that ACE was officially founded. So while it’s fair to say that Kings Dominion and Rebel Yell played part in the forming of ACE, it’s Busch Gardens who deserves the credit for the true origins.

I think their is additional evidence to support this when you look at ACE's unending love for all thing's Arrow Dynamics.

Despite what ever Kings Dominions motivations are for the renaming of Rebel Yell, lets all take a moment to celebrate the 40th year of American Coaster Enthusiasts and the coaster that started it all, The Loch Ness Mon... errr I mean rACEr75...

Aug 15, 2014
Virginia Beach VA
Hi all, I've been an ace member for almost 4 years but have never done my official "coaster count". With coaster con right around the corner I'm curious to see my number (i know it's pretty low, but still curious). What do you use to get your official number? An app, a website, memory? Thanks!

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
I had a 7 day, 6 park trip planned to be going on right now but I got stuck in Carowinds for a few days due to my car key getting eaten on one of their rides. I can't recall the last time I had a "normal" vacation.

Scarier thought, when I move to Hershey my trip plans will get more ambitious.

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
I know I'm contributing to the off-topic nature of this thread but...

Nicole said:
Coaster-Count

I know some credit whores, who use it to plan trips, as well.

I've actually been loving Coast2Coaster for credit whoring trip planning recently. Highly recommend.

RollyCoaster said:
Sorry for being off topic. I'm genuinely curious about this 5 park San Fran/Sedona adventure. What were your highlights of San Fran? Was there anything worth doing in Sedona?

I'll take this as a trip report request. :p

Anyway, regarding CoasterCon, is anyone doing either of the add-on events? Nicole and I decided to sign up for Oceanfest because it's about time we take care of the buffet of Wacky Worms in Ocean City.

In all seriousness though, Trimper's has been on my to-do list for a long time now. Super excited about the classic Bill Tracey walk through and darkride!

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
I did the Ocean City parks last year on a day off because I had it and I just wanted the credits. The dark ride is the only thing that's worth it in that area unless you're super into Vekoma Boomerangs and Go Karts.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Aug 15, 2014
Virginia Beach VA
Zachary said:
Anyway, regarding CoasterCon, is anyone doing either of the add-on events? Nicole and I decided to sign up for Oceanfest because it's about time we take care of the buffet of Wacky Worms in Ocean City.

My group won't be doing any of the add-ons (it was just too long away from home and the little one). But we are doing medieval times the night before the first day :)

Reactions: Zachary

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
Also heads up for the ACErs lurking on here. Keep an eye out for the finalized Coaster Con 41 itinerary to be posted. On the preliminary one, the SFA leg of the tour is slated to end at 6pm and Central Park Funland has an offer for Con attendees to ride their new SBF Spinner, Twist-n-Shout, that evening on the way down to Kings Dominion.

The schedule has not been officially finalized yet, due to the sheer number of attendees (598!) and some rides having technical issues which has forced the schedule to be realigned a little bit. If you are already registered, they should be posting a reservation list on the Con 41 Facebook events page this weekend for attendees to reserve what tours they would like to take at all 3 parks.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad