Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
I find this funny, but it is also a good PSA for everyone to be even more careful with your phone if you do decide to bring it on a roller coaster (securely). While this article is specific to Dollywood, I am sure this applies to all parks.

Last edited:

Nibbins

Resident Rat - They/Them
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
Called 911 from the train at Busch Gardens once when I got my new phone.
Didn't even notice until they called me back.

I disabled the 911 function by pressing the side button repeatedly right after that. Really should not be activated by default.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I find this funny, but also is a good PSA for everyone to be even more careful with your phone if you do decide to bring it on a roller coaster (securely). While this article is specific to Dollywood, I am sure this applies to all parks.

Before I read the article, I was thinking that somehow someone wired up a coaster's communications phone (ya know, the system ops use to chat) to an outside line and it inadvertently called 911 as that was a common set of start digits to whatever ride extensions... And likely such a system would prevent inbound calls to the ride from an outside line.

But then I read it and that's not it at all.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Had a cheap prepaid phone when I was younger. Turned out that the company also provided them to demostic abuse shelters and had them set so that even when locked they would call 911 if you held any key down for more the a few minutes. yeah got rid of it really quick after doing that a couple of times.

Murphy

Silver Donor
Jul 16, 2019
We got off of Apollo's Chariot once, grabbed my phone from the locker, and noticed I had several emergency alerts. Apparently my girlfriend had me as the emergency call contact, and had accidentally done exactly this and called 911 and I was alerted that she was in danger.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
My riding lawn mower routinely butt dials people on my emergency call list. Would be interesting to see if it is a device issue. My iPhone SE never did that, but my Samsung S10 does. Not trying to start a phone fight, just asking if it could be device related.

Reactions: Murphy

sereniv

Professional Snack Provider
Feb 9, 2018
happened to me once after getting off of invadr (my phone was in a fanny pack)...i called back and apologized and was reasonably told not to bring my phone onto a roller coaster in the future

Reactions: Nicole and Murphy
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad