Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 5, 2011
There has been a lot of discussion about coaster/ride names recently as there seems to be a recent crop of poorly received names for 2020. It got me to think about what makes a good name and what makes a bad name and there are quite a few aspects to that question.

In my mind, what makes a good name is multi tiered. First thing that comes to mind is that any name should be short, marketable, and alliterated if possible. Hollywood: Rat Ribbon Raking and The Wubulous World of Hagrid's Motorbike Expedition 3D come to mind as ride names that feel like a chore to communicate and come off as a joke. I don't think it can make a good coaster bad (Hagrid), but it does make a bad coaster look more like a joke (H: RRR).

The next question is if the ride is in a heavily themed park or area of a park. If the answer is no, then it should focus on what the ride does. A good example of this, I feel, is Wildcat at Hersheypark. It's a classic coaster name that matches the speed and maneuverability of a cat. Another good example is Skyrush because, well, that's what you do. I feel that if you aren't trying to tie an area to a coaster thematically or vice versa, you have a lot more leeway to avoid being a bad name.

If they are trying to tie it to a theme, that's when things get more complicated. Not only do you have to intergrate the type of experience of the ride but the surrounding area as well. A great example of this done well is Manta at SWO. The ride has you in a position like a Manta Ray and you're performing moves similar to a Manta and it ties in with the overall theme of the area. I honestly can't think of any terrible examples of this off the top of my head if I'm totally honest.

I also think a good name should invoke feelings when you read it. Apollo's Chariot and Kumba invoke majesty and speed. Big Thunder Mountain and Expedition Everest invoke adventure. Cobras Curse and The Mummy invoke fear. Hulk and Kraken invoke strength. There are tons of examples of this and different people can get different things from the same name, but I think a good name should convey something that makes the ride experience desirable.

These are just some of the things I think make up whether a name good or bad. There is certainly more aspects that can be taken into account.

So, what do I think is the perfect name that perfectly fits the aspects I put above? Mako. The fastest shark is a perfect fit for the location next to the shark exhibit, the type of coaster. "Mako" is also simple, marketable, and invokes a feeling of speed and power.

I probably could have put all that info out better, so apologies for being a mess. It will probably be updated as Thomas sends me angry messages about it. But I'm interested to see what people think are good names.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicole and ..…
Mar 16, 2016
I start with does the name move me. I know that sounds subjective, but when I look at some names they just emote more than others.

Some of my favorite coasters and that the names get from me:
Boulder Dash - Just brings an instant image of speed and danger
SooperDooperLooper - I mean....it's Sooper and it's Dooper!!
Space Mountain - Just a feeling of a whole new adventure.
Loch Ness Monster - Even though its named after something, that name just moves me.

Then I look at coasters I like but their name just doesn't do anything for me:
Phantoms Revenge - I get it, but if I didn't know what it was and why it had that name I would be so indifferent
Great Bear - Again its name just falls flat to me.
Backlot Stunt Coaster - Ugh
And now what's to be my most controversial:
Apollo's Chariot - I adore this coaster....I just don't get the name at all.

Then I got my coasters I don't hate but the name just does not help
Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket
Farenheit97
Grizzly

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Tempesto - sounds more like food than some made-up Italian daredevil
Corkscrew - there were a few of these, but it's like they didn't even try
Kingda Ka - gaga googoo sounding, though also close to kingdom come so...
Hurler - without the Wayne's World references post-Paramount it could have been rethemed to baseball or get a name change before Twisted Timbers
Demon Drop - not technically a coaster, but still - all name, no theming at all (though luggage handling machine doesn't have the same ring to it)

BGWnut

Advisory Panel
Sep 24, 2018
Tempesto could have been a better name if they had a theme that made sense. When the name first leaked I thought they would theme it to a storm which I thought would be a good theme for the ride it is. But then they said it was an Italian Daredevil and they lost me

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad