Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

mtorange

Grand Carnivale, Haunt, and WinterFest X-Pert
Jul 26, 2014
Feel free to place this in a better thread for general 2023 operations if needed. Kings Dominion, along with 4 other parks, will unveil a new show on the Grand Bandstand this summer called Retrospect. While I could be wrong, since all of the parks listed are Carnivale parks, this could be a replacement for the Royal Rhythms show that debuted back in 2019 and will run not only through the event, but also during the regular summer season (similar to Hot Rhythm Nights in 2019).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Kings dominion does not seem to be well managed as far as promotion. They did not have good information about their winter operations on their website and they still don’t have those shows listed on the website for summer as of today. The other Cedar Fair parks have had their shows listed for several weeks.

It appears that “let’s get Wild” is coming back as Windish has posted auditions for it. This isn’t surprising because most of the Cedar Fair parks are repeating most of their same entertainment from last year. Probably to save production cost. Which is fine because some of the shows are worth an encore.

Last edited:
Kings dominion does not seem to be well managed as far as promotion. They did not have good information about their winter operations on their website and they still don’t have those shows listed on the website for summer as of today. The other Cedar Fair parks have had their shows listed for several weeks.

It appears that “let’s get Wilde quote is coming back as Windish has posted auditions for it. This isn’t surprising because most of the Cedar Fair parks are regurgitate most of their same entertainment from last year. Probably to save production cost.
I agree! Charlie Brown’s Pirate Adventure is listed on the website with its current dates, but you have to search for it to find the page. Let’s Get Wild’s page is outdated with last year’s dates and times still on it.

Not to mention, Grand Carnivale begins in a little more than a month and hours are not on the website.

It appears that “let’s get Wilde quote is coming back as Windish has posted auditions for it. This isn’t surprising because most of the Cedar Fair parks are repeating most of their same entertainment from last year. Probably to save production cost. Which is fine because some of the shows are worth an encore.

Sadly, Bridgette Bywater (KD’s GM) shared in a public Linkedin post that KD’s communications director passed away unexpectedly a month or so ago. Given this sudden loss of direction and personnel, not to mention that fact that the rest of the marketing department is probably still dealing with this loss, I wouldn’t be surprised if this had something to do with KD’s comparatively lackluster communications right now.

That’s tragic.

But that aside - CF corporate should have had someone there to make sure it gets done anyways. I can give KD as a team a pass but CF failed to back them up IMO.

That is very sad and condolences to everyone that knew the director.

However, a properly run business always has back up for every employee. Whether it’s illness, turnover, or even vacation someone else should be able to jump in when another employee is missing.

Doesn’t the marketing department fall under Bywater? We have already seen how she penny pinches and budget cuts the park (reduced park hours, entertainment cuts, (non)Racer 75, mystery “weather” closures, scheduling then canceling operating days, the disastrous winter operations, etc). Properly staffing important departments is probably no different.

It doesn’t take the director of communications to update websites unless that person was doing everything.

I just find it the way she manages Kings Dominion as a reflection of what she can get away with because Busch Gardens does it (the cutbacks).

However, a properly run business always has back up for every employee. Whether it’s illness, turnover, or even vacation someone else should be able to jump in when another employee is missing.

Doesn’t the marketing department fall under Bywater? We have already seen how she penny pinches and budget cuts the park (reduced park hours, entertainment cuts, (non)Racer 75, mystery “weather” closures, scheduling then canceling operating days, the disastrous winter operations, etc). Properly staffing important departments is probably no different.

It doesn’t take the director of communications to update websites unless that person was doing everything.

I just find it the way she manages Kings Dominion as a reflection of what she can get away with because Busch Gardens does it (the cutbacks).

Lots of misinformation here, but for the sake of time the one thing I’ll point out is that Bywater has minimal control over the marketing department’s hirings. Marketing for all CF parks is handled by a corporate division now. There are a handful of KD-specific marketing people, including ones like a director of communications that still physically work at KD, but they report to corporate, not directly to Bywater.

Keep in mind we’re talking about minor website updates here- not things with a major long term impact on the business. I’m sure CF has had other members of the corporate marketing team working overtime to help KD out while they find a new communications director, so it shouldn’t be surprising that things like small website updates are slipping through the cracks. I’d rather CF take their time to find the best new communications director for the park’s long term, rather than hastily hire the first person they can find to fill the role.

Last edited:
I don’t consider listing the closed rides accurately on the website a “minor” update. They never had this updated all winter. Nobody knew when rides would re open in Spring.

Carowinds in the other hand had this updated (with closing and opening) dates all winter and spring. If marketing is under the sane CF corp management, it’s in inconsistent.

I think it’s safe to say people want to know what attractions are open before they go. As stated above Kings Dominion is great about advertising opening dates and then totally canceling them and closing early. They are the worst park on the cedar fair chain for doing this. Is corporate responsible for that as well?

I don’t consider listing the closed rides accurately on the website a “minor” update. They never had this updated all winter. Nobody knew when rides would re open in Spring.

That’s not true. They posted a list of available rides on social media and also uploaded an up-to-date list on their website every week throughout winter operation.

Yep. I was on that pdf every week like white on rice so I knew what was available to enjoy between Miss Crissy's Flights & Bites pours. 😆

From what I’ve heard, the **rumored** budget cuts for entertainment seem to be a corporate issue and are taking place across the chain.

We probably won’t even know if the rumors are true until summer operations begin.

Here’s something to fuel those rumors of entertainment budget cuts across the chain. Sigh.

For context, the Forbidden Frontier attraction, which is filled to the brim with actors, was also shut down at Cedar Point this season.

That’s not true. They posted a list of available rides on social media and also uploaded an up-to-date list on their website every week throughout winter operation.
That’s absolutely false. Their Schedules Ride Closure website page had about three rides listed all winter.

Additionally any list the put in social media could be trusted as it came with the false statement that they would stay open in most weather.

Summer is here and no entertainment listed yet.

The budget cuts at other parks seem to be basically repeating last years shows (no new production cost). Not eliminating all f it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mwe BGW

Here’s something to fuel those rumors of entertainment budget cuts across the chain. Sigh.

For context, the Forbidden Frontier attraction, which is filled to the brim with actors, was also shut down at Cedar Point this season.

The Cedar Fair entertainment cutbacks for 2023 seem to be selective by park. Carowinds and Kings Island have 8 and 6 shows scheduled respectively. Others seem to have 2 or 3 shows max. Sounds like KD will fall in the 2-3 show range.

So it looks like Let’s Get Wild will run a bit differently this summer. Basically, there’s showtimes for the weekdays and different showtimes for the weekends. Not only that, but they’re opting for atmospheric experiences for the first two showtimes and then they’ll do the full show for the last two showtimes. Veeeeery interesting.

From the website:

“Showtimes:
June 17th - August 13th

Atmospheric Experience: Mon-Fri - 3:30pm & 5:00pm, Sat-Sun - 4:30pm & 6:00pm

Performance: Mon-Fri - 6:30pm & 8:00pm, Sat-Sun - 7:30pm & 9:00pm
  • No Shows on Thursdays”

My understanding is that this year’s “Let’s Get Wild!” Is supposed to be a bit different than last year’s show.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
The show times ended up getting cut back because of the heat. It was a good show with a horrible venue (none) for the performers.

Are all the venues (music hall, bandstand, arena) going to sit empty this year?

Maybe to help with the heat?
This would be my best guess, too! There’s no shade at all on Flat Rock!

The show times ended up getting cut back because of the heat. It was a good show with a horrible venue (none) for the performers.

Are all the venues (music hall, bandstand, arena) going to sit empty this year?
Grande Bandstand will host Retrospect this summer. From what I’ve heard, the show will premiere with Grand Carnivale on June 24th and run for the entirety of the summer season until Labor Day.

Unfortunately, it does look like the Peanuts Showplace and Kings Dominion Theater will lay dormant this season.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad