Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Not sure why they phrased it this way now. They have always had a yearly job fair for their seasonal/part-time positions and usually immediately hire for entry level positions both at the fair and throughout the year. I interviewed for a job over ten years ago at the park and was made an offer at AC within an hour, even with poor availability (like bad enough that they said they usually wouldn't hire someone asking for as much time off as I wanted, but they saw my passion for rides and they really needed people).

Not sure why they phrased it this way now. They have always had a yearly job fair for their seasonal/part-time positions and usually immediately hire for entry level positions both at the fair and throughout the year. I interviewed for a job over ten years ago at the park and was made an offer at AC within an hour, even with poor availability (like bad enough that they said they usually wouldn't hire someone asking for as much time off as I wanted, but they saw my passion for rides and they really needed people).
Actually haven't had one for a few years. They always hire that many people but they don't always do a job fair. To your point the positions that they are hiring for they do hire on the spot during byour interview.

Actually haven't had one for a few years. They always hire that many people but they don't always do a job fair. To your point the positions that they are hiring for they do hire on the spot during byour interview.
Gotcha. I haven't been at the park for a few years (yay for college and getting a better job!) so I wasn't aware that they stopped.

They probably felt the need to advertise this year due to the economy and fear of fewer available workers. You still will have seasonal workers but there are currently fewer adults available for employment in general.

Reactions: sereniv and BGWnut
The last large scale job fair was like 2010/2011, since then they have had small scale job fairs. TBH most folks hired at a job fair at BGW don't last more than one year.

I heard that they were not getting the numbers that they were hoping for today.

They just posted on FB about another job fair this Thursday! They must really be searching!

Article in Daily Press/ Virginia Gazette today about how BGW & WCUSA are still way understaffed. Will continue job fairs Tuesday and Thursday, starting at I think $14 an hour and minimum of $250 signing bonus. They are beginning to get foreign workers back and should continue getting more throughout the year. They seem to anticipate normal staffing by fall or next spring.

I know they are doing all they can, but unless it really picks up Howloscream and Christmastown are going to be rough!

Except they're NOT doing all they can. They still lay off willing employees when they hit 6 months. Doing all they can would be letting people work all the hours they want to work for as long as they want to work there. Treating their people like they are valued employees instead of disposable commodities would go a long way to solving their "labor shortage". In addition, the quality of their workers would improve drastically from kids making a quick buck for summer to adults who care about doing a good job for the long haul. Their labor problems are a direct result of their own short sighted policies. They are still stuck in the mindset of a part year park operating in a labor surplus. If they want to stay open year round and run with the big dogs they need to step up and get serious about attracting and retaining Quality employees.

Part of that though is not because they want to, but because they have to. According to the ACA, seasonal employees are defined as employees who work no more than 6 months. Therefore, students (who may or may not want to work during the school year) are often hired at the park for a 6 month on / 6 month off period to avoid the park requiring Healthcare to people who most likely already have it, due to the 26 year cutoff. There is also Variable Hour hiring, which allows up to 1400 hours per year. You are able to work longer than 6 months, but as soon as you hit 1400 hours for that year, you cannot work for the park til the next year. Finally, there is part-time, which to what I'm aware of, is the main form of hiring the park does for non-students. This of course let's them work year round, but they are limited in the number of hours they can work in the week. This all of course is to avoid being required to provide Healthcare for non-full time employees, which I should add that they do offer Healthcare to every employee over 18, but it ain't free. Before the ACA (I worked at the park before and after it went into effect), we were all seasonal, being "laid off" yearly, but it was only for between Christmas town and whenever our first training of the year was in January or February. Once ACA hit, they made everyone into VH from seasonal, but then tried to get the students to switch back to seasonal. I wanted to work CT when I got back home for christmas break, so I remained a VH. Speaking to today's issues, with a staffing shortage, the park will need to work employees over the part-time threshold or risk having to shut down the park because they don't have enough staff. From their standpoint, they are more concerned about a weekly staffing shortage and will cross the 6 monthly shortage when they come to it.

"to avoid paying for healthcare" being the key phrase. It's perfectly legal for large corporations to amass profits while legally avoiding providing healthcare coverage for their employees. Because it's legal, they ignore the ethics of doing so. To the people calling the shots, the concept of treating all employees as potential full time, long term, valued employees, not just seasonal disposable labor, is so foreign that it doesn't even enter their thinking. This lack of ethics has become nakedly exposed by policies enacted under COVID. It started by charging people for their memberships even when the park was closed. It continued when the clock started ticking before the park was fully open (It still isn't.) Even now they are denying parking privileges for which members have already paid. All of these are choices between ethical behavior and generating cash flow. SEAS and even BGW management continues to demonstrate that they prioritize making money over ethical behavior.

As Abigail Disney writes in The Atlantic: "For many people, especially those most deeply embedded in the culture of having and getting money, ethics are a wispy and ineffectual nuisance—an abstract set of principles that can’t possibly stand up to the rigors of life lived fast, business conducted efficiently, and competitors devoured and cast aside." "If your comfort requires that society be structured so that a decent percentage of your fellow citizens live in a constant state of terror about whether they’ll get health care in an emergency, or whether they can keep a roof over their family’s heads, or whether they will simply have enough to eat, perhaps the problem does not rest with those people, but with you and what you think of as necessary, proper, and acceptable."

But now I'm just getting philosophical.

"to avoid paying for healthcare" being the key phrase. It's perfectly legal for large corporations to amass profits while legally avoiding providing healthcare coverage for their employees. Because it's legal, they ignore the ethics of doing so. To the people calling the shots, the concept of treating all employees as potential full time, long term, valued employees, not just seasonal disposable labor, is so foreign that it doesn't even enter their thinking. This lack of ethics has become nakedly exposed by policies enacted under COVID. It started by charging people for their memberships even when the park was closed. It continued when the clock started ticking before the park was fully open (It still isn't.) Even now they are denying parking privileges for which members have already paid. All of these are choices between ethical behavior and generating cash flow. SEAS and even BGW management continues to demonstrate that they prioritize making money over ethical behavior.

As Abigail Disney writes in The Atlantic: "For many people, especially those most deeply embedded in the culture of having and getting money, ethics are a wispy and ineffectual nuisance—an abstract set of principles that can’t possibly stand up to the rigors of life lived fast, business conducted efficiently, and competitors devoured and cast aside." "If your comfort requires that society be structured so that a decent percentage of your fellow citizens live in a constant state of terror about whether they’ll get health care in an emergency, or whether they can keep a roof over their family’s heads, or whether they will simply have enough to eat, perhaps the problem does not rest with those people, but with you and what you think of as necessary, proper, and acceptable."

But now I'm just getting philosophical.
Who has been denied their free parking??

Also not every job is deserving of healthcare being provided and the bulk of the summer help is just that, summer help. These people often are on someone elses insurance. I think it's absolutely ridiculous how much the employees are being paid right now.

My sister just got back from BGW and she had a horrible time due to most of the rides and eateries being closed due to staffing issues. Also she said the tram is no longer running and was forced to pay the $35.00 unless she wanted to park across the street. My family and I have gone every year to BGW and have the season tickets to all of there parks. I doubt we will return anytime soon if they continue to run their parks like this.

My sister just got back from BGW and she had a horrible time due to most of the rides and eateries being closed due to staffing issues. Also she said the tram is no longer running and was forced to pay the $35.00 unless she wanted to park across the street. My family and I have gone every year to BGW and have the season tickets to all of there parks. I doubt we will return anytime soon if they continue to run their parks like this.
At least it isnt bgt where if you dont get there by 1030 the preferred is full because half the preferred lot is free stroller parking now. Or alton towers where its a 1mile walk or a 30 minute monorail wait ob some days.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad