Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 16, 2016
So with this coming up in another thread, I wanted to talk about the case of Cedar Point possibly having the ability to add 2 coasters in a single year. I think they could feasibly do it, and get to having 20 coasters in their 150th year of operation. For a park huge on coaster records and high number of coasters, I think this is something they would really want to do.

I think that if they do it, we're unlikely to see 2 big record breaking coasters, rather 2 modest coasters that bring their collection count up to a new high.

I think a GCI or GG woodie is going to be high on their list. With the Mean Streak conversion, that means they have 1 true woodie: Blue Streak. A good twister woodie is something that they need to add back into their collection. The Windseeker Plaza is going to be a hot spot for it, as Wicked Twister's compact enought that it could be moved if they really wanted too. Another spot is by Midway Station where it's rumored that the employee housing is going to be town down.

Let's say it's a coaster on the scale of Invadr or Mine Blower. Your talking a compact woodie, 80-120 feet tall. Your looking at a cost of about $6million-$10million. For a park and a chain that's used to dropping $30mil+ on giga coasters, this definitely put's 2 coasters in 2020 for 20 in '20 in the firm realm of possibility.

The second coaster is where we can have some more fun.

There's a bunch of small footprint low cost coasters that Cedar Point doesn't have. Though a bad ride by the end, with the loss of Disaster Transport, Cedar Point is low on the family friendly aspect of coasters (Blue Streak, Gemini, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Iron Dragon). They could use a Mack Spinner, Wild Mouse. If they wanted to, other 'off the shelf' coasters they could put in are a Skyrocket II, RMC Raptor (Railblazer clone), S&S Freefly and they are more thrilling options that take up small spaces. Space for this exists in the former Shoot the Chutes area, could put Snake River Falls plot, between Steel Vengence and Gemini. These could top out at a reported $8million.

So 2 projects, 2 coasters, a total coast about $20million. Potentially a while lot of 2's in Cedar Points future.

Thanks for creating this thread, so I wouldn't need to derail the BGT RMC 2020 thread. For the off-the-shelf coaster number 2, my fanboy dream would be for Cedar Point to buy the Schwarzkopf Wildcat at Jolly Roger in Ocean City. RCDB says that that Wildcat originally opened at Cedar Point in 1970 - the centennial year. It left for Valleyfair for 1979 and was replaced by another 65m Wildcat. Wildcat "returning home" to celebrate not only its anniversary but the park's could be pretty marketable.

A little research, and the second Wildcat (1979-2011) was actually meant to open for 2012, they were testing it, it was on the 2012 maps, and had already assigned ride ops to it. And then it was announced that it wouldn't open (the maps were quickly redone). Some say it was due to unforeseen mechanical issues, some say it was to make way for a stage.

Last edited:
I've read the rumor a few times elsewhere on the internet.

Ultimately I think that park renovations and a classic wooden coaster on the beach are way more likely but hey, two coasters certainly isn't impossible.

Reactions: warfelg and Shane
I think Jolly Roger really likes their Wildcat (it's really well taken care of!)
I actually went to Ocean City to experience the former Cedar Point Wildcat, and it was worth the 4+ hour drive. It was even better than Adventure Park USA's Wildcat (formerly Die Wildkatze at BGW).

My idea was just fantasy, going along with if Cedar Point would try to add two rides.

Honestly, I'd rather see Cedar Point get an "Oscar's Wacky Taxi" kind of junior woodie, than an "InvadR" kind of family woodie. They need all the <48" minimum rides they can get, and unless the "InvadR" woodie is going on Millennium Island, I'm not sure it'd add much.

Is this a rumor that you've heard or if this a concept of yours?

It's a rumor that's been floating around for a long time when there was a list of things to do that included the RMC of Mean Streak, Record Breaking Dive Coaster, Revamp of the entrance gate, Floorless conversion of Rugaru.

I put in the concept of what could be done to get 20 in '20 based on cost.

As much as I'd love to see 2 new coasters for the year it's been quite a while since a park has done such a thing.

I'd love to see a "boardwalk-style" wooden coaster in that newly cleared area by Wicked Twister, but I feel like that entire area just needs to be wiped clean and redone from scratch. Wicked Twister is overstaying its welcome and could be better suited for another Cedar Fair park, and Cedar Fair as a whole should be working on a way to clear the Windseekers from everyone's memories (preferably Men In Black style).

There's also plenty of space next to Professor Dilbert's Frontier Fling, along with the back half of Shoot the Rapids still remaining on Millennium Island. You could cram a pretty good coaster in that area and also have it play with Thunder Canyon a little.

There's also a rumor rolling around that they're looking at the area between Steel Vengeance and Gemini for a future attraction, but with Cedar Fair's recently quarterly performances and removal of some rides I would not be surprised if it's put on hold or outright cancelled.

Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad