Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 9, 2013
So basically, if you have an annual pass, even if you save 10% on the price of food, beverages & merchandise, etc, you are still subject to a 9% sales tax on that discounted amount, which in essence only nets you a 1% savings, is that correct?

Was just looking at some of the receipts I got from the F&W festival this morning and noticed it.

So.....What gives with the 9%? I thought the sales tax in VA was 4.5% and only 2.5% for food & beverages. Local authorities must be raking it in w/special taxes or something?

Still waiting for my 10:30 flight to Abu Dhabi...lol getting a bit bored

Bottom line is you still get 10% savings as opposed to a regular visitor.
But yeah, I hear you about the taxes. As much as I hate them, there is always something that feels sneaky or wrong.

IndyRacingNut said:
So basically, if you have an annual pass, even if you save 10% on the price of food, beverages & merchandise, etc, you are still subject to a 9% sales tax on that discounted amount, which in essence only nets you a 1% savings, is that correct?

Was just looking at some of the receipts I got from the F&W festival this morning and noticed it.

So.....What gives with the 9%? I thought the sales tax in VA was 4.5% and only 2.5% for food & beverages. Local authorities must be raking it in w/special taxes or something?

Still waiting for my 10:30 flight to Abu Dhabi...lol getting a bit bored
According to this site its 5 percent for retail and 2.5 percent for food and beverages. But if your still bored after your flight, feel free to read it through :p

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=SalesUseTax

EDIT: I'm reading through some of the tax code for you, I'm curious for some reason :cool:

Oh yeah, I forgot it's 5% now....but still, you get what I'm saying. Local taxes HAVE to be in effect here. After my flight, it'll be, um....oh shoot, I have no idea what time it'll be in VA when I get there. Sometime later tonight. It's a long ride to the middle east.

IndyRacingNut said:
Oh yeah, I forgot it's 5% now....but still, you get what I'm saying. Local taxes HAVE to be in effect here. After my flight, it'll be, um....oh shoot, I have no idea what time it'll be in VA when I get there. Sometime later tonight. It's a long ride to the middle east.

I see you have purchased in flight Wifi :p

Absolutely. It's not that expensive to be honest! But just to be on the safe side, I won't be uploading any pics/videos while I'm up here! Oh, here comes my starter for lunch. Grilled scallops. Yum!

Should I just turn this thread into a trip report, flight experience and all?

Reactions: Ben
IndyRacingNut said:
Absolutely. It's not that expensive to be honest! But just to be on the safe side, I won't be uploading any pics/videos while I'm up here! Oh, here comes my starter for lunch. Grilled scallops. Yum!

Should I just turn this thread into a trip report, flight experience and all?

Yes!

You can just use your other thread. It will be less work for me to have to move it out of the BGW forum and all that good stuff! http://forum.parkfans.net/thread-2074.html :p

Got it. Close this one out then. I'll migrate over to the other one. Damn these scallops are good. hahaha Nice side of steamed chickpeas & green beans too. God it's been like 5 years since I've eaten any meal on a plane.

Just as an FYI- Because I am nerdy like this. There is a 5% "Meal tax" in the city of Williamsburg. Here is a link: http://www.williamsburgva.gov/Index.aspx?page=165

There is also a "lodging tax" that is added to the city of Williamsburg.

Basically, since the city's income is pretty much centered around tourism, us locals feel the burn when it comes to our trips to the Colonial hubbub.

But before you complain too much: Most of Walt Disney World is in Orange County, where the sales tax rate is 6.5% and the hotel tax rate works out to 12.5% (6.5% sales tax + 6% resort tax).

Disney’s All Star Resorts are in Osceola County, where the sales tax rate is 7% and the resort tax is 6%, so the hotel tax rate at those three hotels is 13%.

On average tax at Disney for restaurants is around 6.5- 7% depending on the resort or county.

Basically, when you go to tourist cities.. be prepared to pay!

Reactions: IndyRacingNut
IndyRacingNut said:

We pay 9% at every restaurant in town.

[split] Annual Pass Benefits/Perks

I would like to throw it out there that retail tax for VA in general is 5% and I know by experience BGW retail has 5% tax, as for culinary I have no idea.

RE: Annual Pass Benefits/Perks

Nora & someone else already explained that there is a "meal tax" that's added to the regular 5% sales tax in the county that BGW is in, so that's why it adds up to 9% on your receipts you get.

Such a ripoff....Glad I live in Richmond.

I believe the food & drink tax is the same in Richmond, but I guess I better re-read the tax laws again :p

But generally, most pass holders seem to already acknowledge the fact that their discount only takes off tax almost. But every penny counts, right CK?

Reactions: chickenking

No, they've talked about a meal tax in Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield counties, but so far, nothing's been passed yet. Then again, there isn't an attraction quite like BGW there either, right? lol

The closest Ric. has is KD and thats still a bit away, but tax is tax. I expect it to be no higher than 10% in most places, whilst no higher than 30% in tourist areas and such.

Just a heads-up, I reopened the other thread. It seems like a better place to discuss this than in the pass thread.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Only food that is for home consumption, such as grocery store bought items, get taxed at the reduced rate of 2.5% (1.5% State; 1% Local), most fast food places and restaurants pay a higher tax.

However, in Williamsburg, it is required to collect a 5% meal tax in addition to the 5% State tax. Therefore, you should be charged a total of 10%.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad