Yes, in fact we really have been working on a new site; it wasn’t just an April Fools joke. We hope everyone likes ParkFans’ new look and functionality. That said, we imagine all y’all have many questions.
So, here are some quick tips that we thought everyone would find useful.
1. Pardon our dust. We wanted to get the site switched over as soon as possible, because of all of the down time we have been experiencing recently. Unfortunately, that meant going live before everything was fully built. As a result, you will see continual changes over the Summer, as we improve the site’s functionality. Please let us know, if you discover anything that doesn’t work, so we can fix it quickly.
2. Unreads. If you are like me, you probably primarily navigate the site, using the “Unreads” button. It is now called “New Posts.” We highly recommend everyone go to the “What’s New” page; mark everything as “read;” and start from scratch. Unfortunately, one of the things we couldn’t transfer over was each individual’s list of unreads.
3. The last word. If you choose to navigate, using the board structure, you may want to be able to head directly to the last post in a thread. To do that, simply click the date next to the name of the most recent poster. You should find that in the far right column, across from the thread title.
4. Embedding stuff. Most of the things we had to do using code or buttons, now happen automagically. So, if you include the link to a twitter post, it should be embedded and display properly. Additionally, BB code does still work, if you prefer. In fact, if you click the Settings button in the toolbar, all of the coding will be displayed.
5. Useful information. The built-in Help file has a fair amount of interesting information, and I strongly recommend that everyone check it out.
6. Keep in touch. All of your old private messages can be found in your inbox. Any new messages you sent will be threaded. Migrated conversations, however, should appear as they did on the old site.
7. Getting to know you. Everyone should also take a moment to verify and update their personal information. We know that some avatars did not survive the migration, and it is possible that other data was lost or corrupted, as well. Actually, we recommend everyone upload a new avatar, because the maximum size has increased significantly.
I’m sure we have overlooked many obvious questions, so please let us know immediately in the Forum Software Bug Reports thread, if you are having trouble.
I’d also like to thank @Gavin and @Zachary for devoting so much of their free time this past Winter and Spring to building the new site. I know it has been a lot of work.
Anyway, we hope everyone likes the new Forum as much as we do!
Two Factor Authentication is now optional, and HTTPS with HTTP/2 is now standard. From now on, the site should always show a padlock in your browser’s address bar. Please let me know if there are any issues.
Make sure your phone's browser isn't set to display the desktop version of the site. I'd give instructions on how, but it depends on OS and browser quite a bit. A quick search should get you instructions for your specific setup though.
Because the forum is responsive and not using a dedicated mobile skin or the like, the website reflows the design to fit any screen size. Normally the only time that wouldn't happen is if a phone is specifically impersonating a larger screened device to dodge the mobile-optimized version of the site.
If it keeps giving you issues, let me know and I can try to troubleshoot it with you.
Is everyone else seeing the mobile optimized version on their phones?
If anyone else is having the problem, I cleared browsing history and cookies on my phone and everything looks great now! I guess another board I'm on uses the same software company but uses a different skin, and with theirs I tend to go with the full version, so it assumed I wanted the same.