ParkFans Logo

First Quarter Results

05/08/18 at 11:02am in First Quarter Results
Sounds like good news for SeaWorld at last.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...43965.html
Thanks given by:  Lolers, Connor, CastleOSullivan, warfelg, VACoasterFan, jeffh, Alf33, Nicole, Lord Robert, Zachary
05/08/18 at 04:01pm in First Quarter Results
John Reilly. CEO. Now.

Find Me: Twitter | SoundCloud | YouTube
Contact Me: Private Message | Email
"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  tursiops, Connor, Lord Robert, Zachary
05/08/18 at 04:41pm in First Quarter Results
I think this may be playing into why there's the sudden push for projects. Capturing the momentum and building on it.
Thanks given by:  jonfin826, Zachary
05/08/18 at 05:09pm in First Quarter Results
CNN, yes that CNN of Blackfish even posted A short main page article detailing there better than expected 1st Quarter results.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/08/investin...index.html

Been coming to Busch Gardens since forever. Even got to walk Nessie's Lift Hill the hard way. Got evacuated from 3/4 the way up. Unnerving to say the least.
Thanks given by:  Alf33, Zachary
05/08/18 at 06:08pm in First Quarter Results
BS that they spent more of the article still talking about Blackfish than the positive to come from this.
Thanks given by:  VACoasterFan, CastleOSullivan, Alf33, Zachary
05/08/18 at 06:32pm in First Quarter Results (Latest Edit: 05/08/18 at 06:34pm by VACoasterFan.)
(05/08/18 06:08pm)warfelg Wrote:  BS that they spent more of the article still talking about Blackfish than the positive to come from this.

I'm glad someone else noticed it was a somewhat unbalanced article.

Been coming to Busch Gardens since forever. Even got to walk Nessie's Lift Hill the hard way. Got evacuated from 3/4 the way up. Unnerving to say the least.
Thanks given by:  Alf33, Zachary
05/08/18 at 09:22pm in First Quarter Results
I guess CNN is still on the attack. I think they are a much worse threat to SeaWorld than PETA, though.

I initially thought that CNN marked the end of their anti-SeaWorld campaign when they started airing SeaWorld commercials again. I see that's not the case, unfortunately. Whatever makes them money, I guess.

Thanks given by:  Alf33, Zachary, Joe
05/08/18 at 09:45pm in First Quarter Results
(05/08/18 09:22pm)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I guess CNN is still on the attack. I think they are a much worse threat to SeaWorld than PETA, though.

I initially thought that CNN marked the end of their anti-SeaWorld campaign when they started airing SeaWorld commercials again. I see that's not the case, unfortunately. Whatever makes them money, I guess.

I have to agree with you. I have family that heavily weighted their anti sea world view based on Blackfish being aired on such respected network as CNN. Thed paid no notice to it when it was of Netflix and otheran outlet but said thasy if s news network like CNN was going to air it that surely they had throughly vetted it and found it 100% factual.
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan
05/09/18 at 07:52am in First Quarter Results (Latest Edit: 05/09/18 at 05:31pm by Alf33.)
After I read the CNN article from VACoasterFan's link I simply went to the bottom of the page and sent them a comment on the article chastising them for having any mention of both Blackfish and PETA in their article.

As for the results of the quarter they did pretty good as they had an increase of 400K guests compared to the 1st quarter of last year, their total revenue increased by $30.8 million and even though they incurred a net loss of $62.8 million their Adjusted EBITDA (Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization) loss was only $0.1 million. But one bad item is their long term debt went up by like $34mil. So it does look like things may be picking up for the company. Now lets hope it stays this way!
Thanks given by:  VACoasterFan, Zachary, Joe
05/09/18 at 03:34pm in First Quarter Results
(05/08/18 09:45pm)horsesboy Wrote:  
(05/08/18 09:22pm)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I guess CNN is still on the attack. I think they are a much worse threat to SeaWorld than PETA, though.

I have to agree with you.  I have family that heavily weighted their anti sea world view based on Blackfish being aired on such respected network as CNN.  Thed paid no notice to it when it was of Netflix and otheran outlet but said thasy if s news network like CNN was going to air it that surely they had throughly vetted it and found it 100% factual.

I'm not trying to get political (and this isn't a partisan issue), but ahahahahahahhahaha. I wonder if that opinion has changed in the last year or two.

That's a shame such an attack piece got the following it did.
05/09/18 at 07:30pm in First Quarter Results
I’ve posted a few times about SEAS needing to get out ahead of bad press, this is one of the places that they need to be proactive and through channels tell CNN that what they did was not cool.
Thanks given by:  VACoasterFan, CastleOSullivan
05/10/18 at 03:36am in First Quarter Results
Baby steps for small people

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan
05/10/18 at 09:05pm in First Quarter Results
I credit a lot of this due to the massive increase in tourism in Orlando.

Visit Orlando just announced today that the area had 72 million visitors last year, which shattered the previous record by 4 million (68 million in 2016).  The opening of Volcano Bay and Pandora really brought tourists in and the attendance boost from last year is rolling over into this year as well.

I go every year during the IAAPA convention and, while this is one of the best times to go due to it being a "slow" week since it's the week before the Thanksgiving crowd rolls through, the crowds are usually much lighter than usual.  However over the last two years I've noticed a significant increase in crowds at all the parks.

I also went this year, the week after New Years, when the crowds usually drop off thinking the parks wouldn't be too bad...

Boy was I wrong!  Animal Kingdom hit capacity the day after I visited on January 4th.  Apparently a massive influx of South American tourists started arriving after the New Year since that hemisphere has their summer vacation around that time.  When I was having dinner at Monsieur Paul in Epcot on January 5th all I heard was Spanish being spoken among the crowd and I overheard the visitors from Colombia sitting next to me talking about going to SeaWorld the previous day and the great time they had.

Now while this is a good sign for the company, SEAS really needs to take better advantage of this tourism to bring in more of these visitors.  They are being killed by other parks in the area when it comes to existing and new attractions.  Universal's and Disney's use of other IPs are the ones funneling people in.  Three B&Ms and some animal attractions aren't enough as they need something more.  Infinity Falls may help when it opens but the park is still lacking when it comes to a variety of rides compared to the others.
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, Nicole, Connor, MAZ, CastleOSullivan, Zachary, Joe
05/11/18 at 03:59pm in First Quarter Results
I agree with what Warfelg said, but I also think Zimmy has a point. If SeaWorld came out against a large network like CNN, especially in their broken state, big media would break them for good. I could see that playing out like a modern remake of The Godfather.

Thanks given by:  horsesboy, Zachary, Joe
05/11/18 at 06:32pm in First Quarter Results
(05/11/18 03:59pm)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I agree with what Warfelg said, but I also think Zimmy has a point. If SeaWorld came out against a large network like CNN, especially in their broken state, big media would break them for good. I could see that playing out like a modern remake of The Godfather.

To clarify, I'm not saying publicly attack them right away. Like the PR department could just reach out, express the displeasure of SEAS seeing a positive article sidetracked by rehashing the past.

I just feel like what CNN did to SEAS in that article is like when my mom visits, tells me I look thinner and better, but I could still lose more weight. Sure there's a complement there but it never really lets you move forward.

I think politely saying that, inviting the writer and some editors to see what you've changed might get an article like "What I got wrong about SEAS". You never know. That's all part of the steps to getting past this. As long as you let them keep bringing it up you never can truly move past it.
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, CastleOSullivan, Zachary, Joe

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |