ParkFans Logo

For the love of Audible! Or... How Audio Books Taught Me to Not Kill Slow Drivers!

03/29/18 at 02:40am in For the love of Audible! Or... How Audio Books Taught Me to Not Kill Slow Drivers! (Latest Edit: 03/29/18 at 02:42am by Zimmy.)
As far back as College I remember renting and buying CDs and Audio Tapes of books for my drives to and from Winchester.  As I recall that is how I listened to Forward the Foundation.

So As I mentioned in the previous thread I have been an Audible user since 2004ish.
I first got Audible when I was in the Persian Gulf to give me things to listen to when working on the ships or flying back and forth between various dusty locals.

When I came back Stateside I found myself traveling back and fourth to the West Coast, Hawaii, and Far East constantly and having to drive long distances.  I was using my various MP3 devices in those days to listen, but then I got my first GPS and my life changed as it had Audible on board.

Now I was listening not just while driving around San Diego but back and forth from VA Beach to my job site in Chesapeake.  I was listening while I was building racks and working in my wood shop.

I found it to be great, I would download junk novels that I normally would not bother with because I had, "Important," things to read.  Then when I was actually reading I could focus on my histories and science and later...  Grad-school.  (Pro Tip, have trouble sleeping, load up basic accounting into audible.  No need to be picking, any title will do, somewhere around, "Your debits must match your credits in the....." you will be dead to the world. Same holds true with Cisco books)

So the best book I have ever listened to?  Seriously...  No kidding...  The Company by Robert Littell.  I also read it, but it was fantastic.  I also highly recommend The Source.

There have been some that I could not finish.  Mostly it is because of the reader.  In a couple cases I have found the author deciding that he was the next James Earl Jones and ruined a good book.

What made you decide to listen?  What has been you best, favorite, or worst?

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Merboy, UncleDuncan
I decided to listen to audio books because of time issues. I love to sit down with a good book and all that, but honestly I just didn't have the time. So it occurred to me to just get some books on audio and listen while I'm in my car. And ever since then I've just been *addicted*. It's so wonderful, I can't gush enough about it.

Some of my top fav's are Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (some are a bit difficult to get through but some are incredible - Merrick, The Vampire Armand, Prince Lestat), Lord of the Rings, everything David Sedaris, and of *course* the Harry Potter series. But also I really enjoyed Quiet by Susan Cain because it really helped me to understand myself and others, and I love autobiographies (Yes Please, Wishful Drinking, Bedwetter, a biography of Oscar Wilde, another on Queen Elizabeth). Niel Gaiman has great stuff too (Ocean at the End of the Lane, Coraline, The Graveyard Book) Water for Elephants was good (I enjoyed it way more before the movie came out which I thought cheapened the message). I've listened to so many and I'm trying to recall my faves but there are so many I loved. Oh and The Night Circus was a favorite which I mentioned elsewhere. I'm also going to give The Company and the Source a listen at some point too.

I gave Game of Thrones a shot and made it through the first book. No, thank you. I thought it was excruciatingly tedious and had an overwhelming cast of characters. Also not big on gore. As well I didn't care for Mary Poppins nor a Wrinkle in Time. Peter and Wendy was cute, though.

Here's an audible discount from a podcast I listen to btw: http://audible.com/birdsong

The Lantern Light.com
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy, UncleDuncan
I listen to a lot of Agatha Christie and Jane Austen on long drives.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Merboy, Zimmy, UncleDuncan
Today I finished my last audio book. Unfortunately I did not have any more credits. I have been rehabbing my condo and thus burning through my books like water on a hot day. As I try to maintain my credit budget I decided to comb through my collection and find something I could listen to again.

HIZZAH! I found a book I missed! A Cold War history. I was thrilled as I have not listened to a good history in a while, and I do have such a fondness for the oddness that is the Soviet Union. I am excited to announce the birth of my latest bouncing baby audio book,
A Failed Empire:The Soviet Union in the Cold War from Stalin to Gorbachev

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Merboy
Big fan of audio books. Last one I listened to was Console Wars which is a pretty interesting story, and it was narrated by Hal Sparks. If I get my new travel trailer I'll probably get a sub to Audible for the long drives.

A ParkFans Advisor for the people!
Thanks given by:  Peej1212, Merboy, Zimmy
The heroin diaries, narrated by nikki sixx. Surprisingly was a great book.

"Its as much fun to scare as it is to be scared."--Vincent Price..

Sammi
Thanks given by:  Merboy, Zimmy

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |