ParkFans Logo

New Year's Eve Brush Fire

01/01/18 at 12:01am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire (Latest Edit: 01/01/18 at 01:13am by Zachary.)
http://wavy.com/2017/12/31/firefighters-...h-gardens/

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters responded to a brush fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Sunday night, according to James City County officials.

Busch Gardens was open at the time for their annual Christmastown event, according to their website.

Witnesses say the fire began during the amusement park’s special fireworks celebration.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zachary, CastleOSullivan, Connor, flamanar, Joe, Unagi, Flyer, Zimmy, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 12:13am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
This news is terrible. Was anyone hurt?

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  jornor
01/01/18 at 12:19am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Luke, CastleOSullivan, Connor, Nicole, flamanar, Joe, Unagi, Flyer, Gameboyzee, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 12:29am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
Land clearing for project Madrid nothing to see here

But jokes aside :

I’m just assuming nothing was damaged in that area ? How close is verboten there ?

Hope everyone was okay !

BGW 2018
Thanks given by:  Luke, horsesboy, Rhaw757, Joe, jornor
01/01/18 at 12:44am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
I was not there tonight, but given last year's show, sadly, I am not too surprised. The downfall during last year looked very out of control, and it amazes me that this didn't happen last year.

Was the show stopped or did this happen after? How did they handle evacuation procedures? I hope nobody was injured and that it didn't cause too much damage to the surroundings.

Find Me: Twitter | SoundCloud | YouTube
"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  Zachary, flamanar, Joe, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 12:53am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire (Latest Edit: 01/01/18 at 12:57am by horsesboy.)
(01/01/18 12:44am)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I was not there tonight, but given last year's show, sadly, I am not too surprised. The downfall during last year looked very out of control, and it amazes me that this didn't happen last year.

Was the show stopped or did this happen after? How did they handle evacuation procedures? I hope nobody was injured and that it didn't cause too much damage to the surroundings.
I was there but had caught the fireworks from the lot and my car do to the extreme cold. Saw fire trucks on my way in but had no idea it was anything that significant. From what I am hearing it doesn't sound to bad it sounds like it wad contained to the woods bellow Lumberhack.
01/01/18 at 12:57am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
I am planning on going to the park tomorrow. I will make sure to look if I can see any damage. I think the railway is closed in these temps anyway, as is Nacht Tower, so I don't think that's going to provide any more info.

Find Me: Twitter | SoundCloud | YouTube
"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  Zachary, horsesboy, flamanar, Joe, Flyer, jornor
01/01/18 at 01:06am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
BGWFans is posting to our front page, as we get information. The current pictures and information can be found here.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zachary, horsesboy, flamanar, Joe, Luke, Flyer, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 01:17am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
(01/01/18 12:57am)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I am planning on going to the park tomorrow. I will make sure to look if I can see any damage. I think the railway is closed in these temps anyway, as is Nacht Tower, so I don't think that's going to provide any more info.
The rail road was running for part of the night tonight.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Nicole, flamanar, Joe, CastleOSullivan, Flyer, jornor
01/01/18 at 02:14am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
Going solely by the pictures provided, it looks like the fireworks were drifting sideways too much before/while going off. They also looked like they were going off too low. Hard to tell by the pics, though. Jeez, I'm just glad nobody was hurt, and doesn't sound like too much damage other than foliage/trees. They put it out in 15 minutes? Well done by the fire department! Thanks for the pics and updates.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Joe, horsesboy, Nicole, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 04:01am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
Twitter: "Rhino River", really.
01/01/18 at 05:05am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
I remember being on the train a couple years ago on a night where there was going to be fireworks. There were workers in that exact area with large hoses waiting to douse the area with water as a precaution once the last train came through. I was in the back of the train and heard the employee in back of the train let the hose workers know that there was one more train coming through before the railroad shut down.

I'm not sure if they take that precaution every night they have fireworks, but it shows they were concerned about this possibility.
Thanks given by:  Joe, Luke, Flyer, Jesy, Alf33, jornor, Merboy
01/01/18 at 08:12am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
One of the deer must have had a bad Lithium Ion battery. Maybe they're made by Samsung.
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, Zimmy, DJTLG, Alf33
01/01/18 at 08:40am in New Year's Eve Brush Fire (Latest Edit: 01/01/18 at 08:45am by horsesboy.)
(01/01/18 05:05am)DJTLG Wrote:  I remember being on the train a couple years ago on a night where there was going to be fireworks. There were workers in that exact area with large hoses waiting to douse the area with water as a precaution once the last train came through. I was in the back of the train and heard the employee in back of the train let the hose workers know that there was one more train coming through before the railroad shut down.

I'm not sure if they take that precaution every night they have fireworks, but it shows they were concerned about this possibility.

I rode the train last night and they had the hosed laid out to do that. How effectiveit they ould do it with the low temps is another question.

(01/01/18 02:14am)flamanar Wrote:  Going solely by the pictures provided, it looks like the fireworks were drifting sideways too much before/while going off.  They also looked like they were going off too low.  Hard to tell by the pics, though.  Jeez, I'm just glad nobody was hurt, and doesn't sound like too much damage other than foliage/trees.  They put it out in 15 minutes?  Well done by the fire department!  Thanks for the pics and updates.
While I have never watched them from the parking lot before they appeared to be normal to me.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:  Nicole, Flyer, Alf33, jornor
01/01/18 at 04:45pm in New Year's Eve Brush Fire
We spoke to the park's communications manager about the fire and updated our frontpage article with what we learned. Most notably, the Busch Gardens Railroad is closed today, but according to park operations, that is because of the current temperatures.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Connor, Luke, Nicole, horsesboy, Flyer, Jesy, Zimmy, Alf33, jornor

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |